Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
TriumphAnt

Drives: Toyota Yaris
general service of brakes

Hello,

I'm more a biker than a driver if I'm honest but I've use of 2 (what is the plural for a Yaris, Yarii?) different Yarii.

One is my Mums 2007 (automatic), the brakes on that are really good however when I then use my younger brothers 2003 Yaris (manual) the brakes work in more of a suggestive capacity. On the 2007 Yaris, you hit the brakes to hard and you'll get whiplash & feel like you hit a brick wall, on the 2003 I tend to end up thinking "%$#^ I really should have stared braking earlier!!!"

Now I imagine that an element of this is that the brakes on the 2007 a little newer and also better designed, also the owner of the 2007 gets it serviced by a dealer garage every year. The 2003 however gets it's MOT (compulsory annual Ministry of Transport check to make sure of road worthiness) done every year and stuff is only done (by the cheapest place that can be found) to it if it fails the MOT.

So as my Brother is away for a month I have total use of the 2003 Yaris as though it were my very own and I thought I should take the opportunity to take a look at the brakes and at the very least give them a clean.

I've never even had to change a tyre on a car but on a bike I've changed alternators, had the brakes apart, swapped engines, put simply there have been times it's looked more like I owned an airfix kit than a bike.

When it comes to brakes on my bike though the caliper is pretty much on display, 2 bolts off and it's yours, no messing about with the wheel or even a need to jack it up you just slide it off the disc. So before I set to taking apart someone elses car I though I should check there was nothing different I should be aware of.

In terms of tools I've got a 1/2" torque wrench, a range of metric sockets up to 19mm, hex keys from 1mm-6mm, ACF50 (like WD40 only MUCH better), brake/clutch cleaner & the emergency jack from the boot of the car.

I'm guessing it's just a case of:

get the jack under the frame, jack it up so the tyre just clears the ground

undo the 4 bolts, slip off tyre (from this point I'm guessing it will be almost like on the bike)

I assume there are going to be a couple of bolts holding on the caliper so undo those and slide the caliper off the disc

remove pins that hold in pads, remove pads inspect and clean. check and clean caliper pistons.

With the caliper off I imagine the disc will now come off so again remove, inspect and clean that.

reverse process to put back together (if anyone knows the torque settings for each bolt that would also be handy) and then repeat on other 3 wheels.

If I've got any of that wrong please feel free to ridicule me, although if you can tell me the right way of doing it at the same time that would be great

Thanks
Ant
TriumphAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Do a search on this site. There was one helluva good DIY on just this issue. Also be careful where you throw the jack, check for lifting points which also can be found with the search function. Good luck.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
TriumphAnt

I did try using the search but the closest thing I found was a topic where someone asked what happened to the DIY brake pad change thread and was told that the guy who did it removed all his posts and then banned himself...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brakes
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
You might want to try this one on MicroImage:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ghlight=Brakes

I'm pretty sure this is the one that moved.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
You might want to try this one on MicroImage:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...ghlight=Brakes

I'm pretty sure this is the one that moved.
Yes sir, that's the one. Thanks
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Buy a small hydraulic floor jack. Also, a jackstand....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Buy the pads and take it to your local mechanic.

I know it is easy to do, and that is why I say that. Some things are just easier for people that have a lift and proper tools (air wrench, etc).

Just IMO, of course:)
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
TriumphAnt

Thanks Revsson all looks very through and should be plane sailing so long as I don't drop the car.

Am I right in thinking it's disc brakes on the front but drum brakes on the rear? or are the drum brakes I've seen mentioned in a number of posts just for the parking/hand/emergency brake? If they are drums on the rear I'm guessing the majority of the stopping power is in the front brakes anyway so it's only really worth checking them.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Drums are in the rear.

Only front has discs.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
the other reason for this issue (03 brakes feel alot different then 07 brakes) is that the vaccume itself is failing. this comes with age.

jsut my .02
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
discs are easy. 4 bolts for the wheel. 2 for the caliper. 2 for the caliper mount.

I agree that you should get a real jack and jack stands. Emergency jacks are for emergencies(the yaris jack looks more sturdy than some scissor jacks I've seen though). Not only is it 1000 times safer, its a lot less work than turning the scissor jack.

Also, as yaris2010RS pointed out, a vacuum check should be done as well as brake fluid checked. If it was just the pads/disc that were worn you'd hear bad noises before you felt like it had no brakes.

for torque, just make sure everything is tight. The slide pins(the ones that hold the caliper) are the only ones you don't want to really crank down on. Probably won't be able to get a 1/2" torque wrench in there for any of the bolts besides the lugs anyway.

for tools, I think if you have the lug tool that came with the car, 11 and 14mm sockets, and a screwdriver you could strip a yaris to the ground and put it back together
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote