Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Tamago's guide to ultimate yaris handling

the information given in this post is here merely to provide a starting point for your future autocross or road racing endeavors. this is not the end-all-be-all of information on the yaris. as i come across exact situations related directly to the yaris i will add them to this post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultimatehandling.jpg (215.8 KB, 5437 views)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by eTiMaGo; 03-22-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Just to highlight - the Yaris has a front stabilizer bar/anti-roll bar/swaybar.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
great writeup, thanks!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Tamago

edited: i completely spaced out the front alignment ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
It is SO rare to see someone get all the details right for a change. Kudos!

I would add that alignment is a very personal thing, and that if you're searching for performance outside of the "stock alignment" envelope, you're going to have to experiment. What works for someone else might not work for you because even if the car is identical, the driving style might not be.

I've been running 2.5-2.8 degrees of negative camber in the front with no tire wear issues, FWIW. And my experience was that zero front toe made the car wander far too much for my tastes, so I ended up going with about 1/16" of toe-in.

I haven't messed with the rear alignment on my Yaris, but I did on my old Saturn. (which was factory-adjustable for camber and toe, unlike the Yaris) Be VERY careful with rear toe-out. A little bit goes a LONG way. About the smallest amount of toe-out that you can measure (1/32-1/16" maybe?) will be enough to make the car feel like the rear is steering around a sweeping turn. The yaw angle will feel just like you're about to lose the back end, it's freaky!

Lastly, I'm not sure I like the idea of using washers to adjust the rear alignment. I've seen a lengthy engineer's discussion on why wheels that use conical lugs are not hubcentric (and thus don't need those silly plastic spacers that don't do anything, anyway... but, I'll try not to digress). What it comes down to is that the lugs hold the wheel against the hub. The lugs themselves can't and won't support the weight of the car! It's the friction between the wheel and the hub (held in place by the meager torque of the lugs) that supports the weight of the car. I can't help but think that the hub-to-axle interface works the same way. By sticking a washer in there, you're eliminating the large friction area that's supporting the hub and putting most of the stress on the bolts, which weren't designed to handle it. I think the proper solution here would be a machined alignment shim that will cover the whole friction area of the hub/axle joint and maintain the friction that is meant to support the hub.

Probably the biggest thing that anyone who's serious about suspension tuning should take away from this is far simpler, however: "too low" and "too stiff" are very real possibilities and can hurt your handling far more than they help it!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
It is SO rare to see someone get all the details right for a change. Kudos!

I would add that alignment is a very personal thing, and that if you're searching for performance outside of the "stock alignment" envelope, you're going to have to experiment. What works for someone else might not work for you because even if the car is identical, the driving style might not be.

I've been running 2.5-2.8 degrees of negative camber in the front with no tire wear issues, FWIW. And my experience was that zero front toe made the car wander far too much for my tastes, so I ended up going with about 1/16" of toe-in.

I haven't messed with the rear alignment on my Yaris, but I did on my old Saturn. (which was factory-adjustable for camber and toe, unlike the Yaris) Be VERY careful with rear toe-out. A little bit goes a LONG way. About the smallest amount of toe-out that you can measure (1/32-1/16" maybe?) will be enough to make the car feel like the rear is steering around a sweeping turn. The yaw angle will feel just like you're about to lose the back end, it's freaky!

Lastly, I'm not sure I like the idea of using washers to adjust the rear alignment. I've seen a lengthy engineer's discussion on why wheels that use conical lugs are not hubcentric (and thus don't need those silly plastic spacers that don't do anything, anyway... but, I'll try not to digress). What it comes down to is that the lugs hold the wheel against the hub. The lugs themselves can't and won't support the weight of the car! It's the friction between the wheel and the hub (held in place by the meager torque of the lugs) that supports the weight of the car. I can't help but think that the hub-to-axle interface works the same way. By sticking a washer in there, you're eliminating the large friction area that's supporting the hub and putting most of the stress on the bolts, which weren't designed to handle it. I think the proper solution here would be a machined alignment shim that will cover the whole friction area of the hub/axle joint and maintain the friction that is meant to support the hub.

Probably the biggest thing that anyone who's serious about suspension tuning should take away from this is far simpler, however: "too low" and "too stiff" are very real possibilities and can hurt your handling far more than they help it!
all good information, and i'm addressing the part that's bold.

bold portion 1: i agree, toe out will definitely change the way the car turns. you will definitely want to experiment with toe-out (mine is toe-out but still within factory allowable specs) at slower speeds before hopping on the highway.

bold portion 2: when adding a thin washer between the axle and hub, your hub is still inset into the axle. the pilot of the hub/axle is still in full contact with each other, therefore the weight is still being carried by the hub itself, and not the bolts.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
bumpin;

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Good post.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Nice to see very good technical info sans BS / useless comments from the pros :)
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
i gotta interject, as far as tire pressures and camber is concerned.... I would say you would be wise, in investing in a tire pyrometer. Longacre makes some basic models for 100-150$. This will allow you to take tire temps at the outer side/middle/ inner side and determine that if the middle is higher then the outer and inner side your tire pressure is too high and you need to reduce... Likewise, if the outer edge temp is higher then the inner edge temp, you want to add more negative camber. basically with this method, you get much easier quantitative data to help determine what to do.

As for using this with autocross, a quick little self made track, should get you enough data to setup your camber and tire pressures properly.

This process will get you theoretically ideal setup, however, if you need to compensate for another handling issue, then adding or subtracting camber or tire pressures may be needed.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
BEST THREAD EVER!

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
thank you so much for the info...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Tamago, I thought about the hub/axle interface some more, and concluded that the forces at play there are NOT like the forces put on the mating surface of the wheels. The wheels are pushed almost straight UP when they receive their greatest forces (hitting a hard bump). The hub junction is effectively being bent upwards at an angle rather than forced straight up. The major forces should be on the lower hub bolts, which are probably pretty beefy high-grade bolts. So, with that, I'll rescind my previously stated concern... thin high-grade washers used there should be okay for adjusting the rear alignment. Thanks for setting me straight and making me think about it some more!

Hmmm... now do I want to mess with it?

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
I'll take it that is a rhetorical question

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Tamago, I thought about the hub/axle interface some more, and concluded that the forces at play there are NOT like the forces put on the mating surface of the wheels. The wheels are pushed almost straight UP when they receive their greatest forces (hitting a hard bump). The hub junction is effectively being bent upwards at an angle rather than forced straight up. The major forces should be on the lower hub bolts, which are probably pretty beefy high-grade bolts. So, with that, I'll rescind my previously stated concern... thin high-grade washers used there should be okay for adjusting the rear alignment. Thanks for setting me straight and making me think about it some more!

Yes you do. I did on the old solid axle CRXs. It worked great.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
.....yes....yes you do. But only if you report back to us!

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Damn Loren.

You talking about how changing the toe just a little bit would get it to rotate better got me wet.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
LMAO thats sick

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote