Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Hyundai i20

This car is going to take on the Yaris, Mazda 2 and Fit.It will do well.The small car segment keeps geting better.It's available in the UK and Europe and will be coming to Australia this year.bye bye accent and getz hello i20.What's your opinion? I like the boot,the space inside which is probably roomier than our Yaris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jXkgWuT0zI
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Unlike Proton (garbage), Hyundai makes some quality cars. Their build quality is much higher than in the past, engines are good, technology is current, and the prices are right. If I still lived in the USA I would be driving a Genesis Coupe. I had the pleasure of testing out both a Genesis sedan and coupe before leaving, and both are incredible RWD cars.

Their interiors are designed well, with good materials, and their exterior designs are cutting edge; especially looking at the all new 2011 Sonata. I don't know why anyone would own a Proton considering the options available from Hyundai and Kia.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
In Europe where small cars like this are popular from the beginning it isn't a big player against the Yaris.
The Yaris is still one of the best small cars wich is sold nowadays.

The Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz are one of the best cars over here; the Yaris is cheaper than the Jazz.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredayaris View Post
In Europe where small cars like this are popular from the beginning it isn't a big player against the Yaris.
The Yaris is still one of the best small cars wich is sold nowadays.

The Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz are one of the best cars over here; the Yaris is cheaper than the Jazz.
Agreed. However, the Hyundai has slowly been gaining market share and at quite a fast pace.

The Yaris is a great example in this argument. In many ways, the Jazz is a better car than the Yaris, and many Yaris owners will admit it. HOWEVER, the Yaris is not quite as expensive. It's not like it's in a completely different price bracket, but the price difference is substantial. . . and it's the reason why the Yaris continues to sell well.

This market segment is very price sensitive, and a $1-2k price difference will gain/lose A LOT of buyers. Let's face it, if we were oozing with cash, most of us would be going for something else.

So that brings in Hyundai. Now, it's been proven that although they are price sensitive, they're not willing to accept complete and utter junk (like Protons or Cherry or Geely) to save $500-1000. Personally I'd take a Geely over a Proton but I digress. . . anyway Hyundai is basically close to if not equal to the quality of many of the class leaders, and the price difference is indeed substantial. But based on the past few years, coupled with their product line, it is inevitable that they will do well.

Kudos to Hyundai!
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Pretty certain this isn't for the American market. The Accent already fill this segment. The Accent is actually the #1 selling B-segment car in the US now (passing Yaris and Versa). I think it's done it because it's the price winner while still offering the 100,000 mile warranty.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
From the front it looks like a Yaris, but it looks like a cheap knock up version. I lol'd when I saw the non power mirrors. The only thing I like about it is the trip computer.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Pretty certain this isn't for the American market. The Accent already fill this segment. The Accent is actually the #1 selling B-segment car in the US now (passing Yaris and Versa). I think it's done it because it's the price winner while still offering the 100,000 mile warranty.
They scrapped the Accent in Australia and now sell the i30. I dare say the i20 is an afterthought and an inferior younger brother.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Very pleasant styling. At the right price point, it would probably be a winner here in the States.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
What is up with that body line? Seriously looks like a Yaris and Fit had some type of deformed child...(no offense)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Also, Hyundai wouldn't be able to use the names "i20" or "i30" in the US. It would infringe on Infiniti's trademarks (although Infiniti dropped the model a while ago).
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It looks like serious competition.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
They scrapped the Accent in Australia and now sell the i30. I dare say the i20 is an afterthought and an inferior younger brother.
The getz is next to go.The Corolla is the Yaris big brother.The I30 is the i20 big bro, the Yaris is the IQ's chubby brother.I20 is the i10 big bro LOL.

Quote:
Very pleasant styling. At the right price point, it would probably be a winner here in the States.
I think so, the UK and Euro got it first Aus nxt. America will have to wait.

Quote:
You might be right. But the Accent is getting old. The I 30 will probably replace it and the i20 will be the base model.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #13
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Unlike Proton (garbage), Hyundai makes some quality cars. Their build quality is much higher than in the past, engines are good, technology is current, and the prices are right. If I still lived in the USA I would be driving a Genesis Coupe. I had the pleasure of testing out both a Genesis sedan and coupe before leaving, and both are incredible RWD cars.

Their interiors are designed well, with good materials, and their exterior designs are cutting edge; especially looking at the all new 2011 Sonata. I don't know why anyone would own a Proton considering the options available from Hyundai and Kia.
+1

YOu made your point I ain't gettin a proton.