Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
haha, i hate how i have to reach the oil filter when the car is not jacked up.

Anyways, CTScott should tell us how much torque to apply to the drain plug bolt. It shouldn't be tighten to the point where you can't take it off with a single socket.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
haha, i hate how i have to reach the oil filter when the car is not jacked up.

Anyways, CTScott should tell us how much torque to apply to the drain plug bolt. It shouldn't be tighten to the point where you can't take it off with a single socket.
28 ft lb is the torque for the drain bolt. If you don't have a torque wrench it is basically snug without killing it.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andulong View Post
If your car is not lowered you may be able to slide under and do it with the car sitting on the ground. This is how I do mine without any jacks involved.
Same here.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #22
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
Anyone ever used a Fumoto valve? When I had my WRX a bunch of the Subaru guys were using them but I never really asked. Seems like something that would make life a lot easier..?

http://www.qwikvalve.com
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm View Post
Anyone ever used a Fumoto valve? When I had my WRX a bunch of the Subaru guys were using them but I never really asked. Seems like something that would make life a lot easier..?

I have Fumoto drain valves on all of my vehicles. They are made incredibly well and function perfectly. The only downside is that they do hang lower than the drain plug.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
Yesitisyaris
Blue beast

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Hi use car ramps no need to jack up and down, much safer too
Yesitisyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have Fumoto drain valves on all of my vehicles. They are made incredibly well and function perfectly. The only downside is that they do hang lower than the drain plug.
I have used a Fumoto valve as well; however, I did not have the best experience. What CTScott said is true - it does hang low. Mine was low enough and must've got struck by a rock or when I went over a speed bump. The valve stripped my oil pan and leaked oil. :3
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #26
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
lol i change my oil without jacking the car and thats sitting on eibach springs.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #27
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesitisyaris View Post
Hi use car ramps no need to jack up and down, much safer too
Ditto, almost, except I only use one ramp on the drivers side. Tilts the car toward the drain plug.

I made my own ramp, though. It a triple layer of 2X12s bolted together in a ramp shape. Commercially availabe ramps are too high.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #28
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
drain plug

If you have to use an extra pipe or breaker bar to remove an oil drain plug that's suppose to be only 25-28 fb's than something's wrong. Hate to tell ya but the previous owner probably stripped the threads and instead of replacing the oil pan just JB WELD or glued the plug to the oil pan some how. I just put mine at around 20-25 ftb's to be on the safe side of not stripping. The oil pan is only 40-50 bucks on the internet and a fairly easy job anyhow. good luck to ya
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #29
268i

Drives: 06' Yaris 1.3l
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
According to Toyota, the correct placement of a jack for lifting the front or rear of the car is:

If you are using a lift or are supporting the car with jackstands, then the correct lifting point is at the pinch welds at the edges (where the OEM jack would lift from). The unibody boxes are not designed to support the car for lifting.

Why does the diagram suggest lifting from the rear axle? I find that safer than the designated point which seems a lot less secure..
268i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #30
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 268i View Post
Why does the diagram suggest lifting from the rear axle? I find that safer than the designated point which seems a lot less secure..

There is risk of bending the rear axle beam. That it why it is not a recommended lift point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk