Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
swiftyman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Weird Electrical Symptoms

A few weeks ago my wifes 2007 Yaris sedan wouldn't start, I just figured she left the lights on so I jumped it a couple of days later, as I had let someone else borrow my cables and had to get them back.

Didn't have any problems after that, but 1 day last week she texted me when she got to work that the auto locks weren't working so she had to lock every door manually, but when she got done with work they were working fine.

Then on Tuesday of this week she calls me after work and says that the auto locks didn't work in the morning, and now there isn't any power at all. So I head out to jump her thinking the battery must be shot (even though it's only a couple of years old), while still on the phone after about 5 minutes the dash lights come on, the dome light, the locks work and the car starts right up.

I didn't work Wednesday so she took my truck, and today I go out to look at her car. It starts and doesn't seem to have any problems. I check the battery and there is some corrosion on the negative cable so I use some cleaner and the battery brush/tool to clean the posts and terminals. Put them back on and it still starts.

Now, about 7 hours later when I go to get something out of the car I decide too check it again because the dome light seems dim. The door locks work, but there is a hum after it locks or unlocks for about half a second.

The car cranks, but wont start, just keeps cranking and cranking.

So, what should I be looking at tomorrow? Seems like weird symptoms for it to be just the battery but I'm not sure where to start.

I tried searching for this problem, but I'm not even sure what to search for so any help would be appreciated.
swiftyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
check grounds and connections. if not that then consider ghosts.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote