Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
maddie

Drives: Yaris
shattered crank shaft pulley

Hi i have 2007 1.3 petrol vvti euro the crank shaft pulley came off and engine made funny noise.I know this runs aux items.Can this damage pistons and valves or can i get new replacement pulley and bolt and all will be okay.This happened after i replaced the alternator and the belt was not overtight.i have found no key so this might of begun to losen before hand.Am i right i can start engine just for short peroid with out sepentine belt and no crank pulley ? or does it need crankpully to start.My point is the engine dead i dont want to spend lots of money onit mainly because i have not got it.i am quiet handy with my hands but not sure what to do to test or look for before i turn it over.Any help or advice please
maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Maddie, US yaris has a 1.5 and has timing chain instead of timing belt. If your 1.3 is the same and I would guess it is, turning engine over won't hurt anything. I wouldn't start the engine tho without first replacing crank pulley and belt because it powers the water pump, running engine without water pump wouldn't take long to warp or crack head and could cause pistons to score cylinder bores in block.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
maddie

Drives: Yaris
Thanks for the responce yes its same as yours timing chain .i was only going to start it up to see if it fires up then turn off .i did not want to go to the expense of ordering new pulley wheel and a key to lock it in place.what i am trying to say would it have already damaged engine when it shattered.will engine start with out crankshaft pulley on or does it need this to start with their being a sensor next to it ?
maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Your pistons etc will be fine. Depending on how it broke you may need to replace the oil seal as well, but probably not. Typically what happens is the rubber part tears, allowing the pulley to come apart. The middle part of the pulley is probably still correctly attached to the crank, so the crank should be fine. You're probably fine to just replace the pulley, belt etc. I wouldn't bother running it with the pulley off as it will make a mess and it's unlikely to have engine damage.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote