Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Question

for those of you whose YARIS shakes . Is it an automatic ( L.B. included ) ? Please reply . Could tell us something about the engine / tranny combo . The '08 Liftback 5 speed manual does not / less shake ( rough idle at stops ) than the '08 automatic sedan . Also , noticed that when put the auto sedan into neutral at redlights , stop signs , or when parked the car shakes less ( better idle ? motor mounts for YARIS with automatics ? ) . Is this the case for others ? Give it try and let us know the results . THANKS .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
08 LB MT - no shaking here.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
chibipod

Drives: '09 3DR LB S MT Meteorite
'09 LB MT - no shaking here either.
chibipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #22
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
for those of you whose YARIS shakes . Is it an automatic ( L.B. included ) ? Please reply . Could tell us something about the engine / tranny combo . The '08 Liftback 5 speed manual does not / less shake ( rough idle at stops ) than the '08 automatic sedan . Also , noticed that when put the auto sedan into neutral at redlights , stop signs , or when parked the car shakes less ( better idle ? motor mounts for YARIS with automatics ? ) . Is this the case for others ? Give it try and let us know the results . THANKS .
yup it's an auto, and when i shift it to neutral when idle, it shakes less - but i do hear the engine "tapping" better.
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saplaymate View Post
Yes Yarises tend to become frightened around large vehicles, kinda like chiwawas!
I dont know what you guys are talking about. My yaris revs uncontrollably when a larger vehicle is near

07 LB MT

I wouldnt really call it a shake, its more of a anxious quiver, yari were not meant to sit still^-^
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #24
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
08 LB MT - no shaking here.
dito
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #25
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Mine only shakes when it see's a prospective partner pull up along side,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #26
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
2007, lb, AT, no shake.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 AM   #27
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I noticed this shaking / vibration when stopped and pressing the brake pedal on both my '07 AT 3-door LB and my '09 AT 5-door LB.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #28
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
If I have on the defroster or Ac, the engine will shake as its trying to set the low idle. I think this is normal for the car; THE ECU is trying to find lowest stable idle speed and it overshoots on the low end periodically. Maybe Toyta Service Centre have a flash reprogramming since a lot of people notice and complain.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 01-19-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: clarification
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
The power that the brakes need is what causes your rpm change and in turn the 'shaking' The car does it less or not at all in neutral because the brakes arent being used. For the same reason, a manual shakes less or not at all because less brake force is needed or none at all because the car wont drive away if one lifts up on the brakes. At the risk of being repetitive, this slight vibration is ok and represents the car adjusting rpm to a higher load. Having a tachometer to witness these clearly methodical and exact rpm adjustments would likely put your concerns to rest.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #30
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
the brakes are applied at a stop even in neutral , otherwise the car ( and occupant(s) ) could / would roll away into traffic , etc.. This is less evident when taken out of drive and put into neutral when at rest . I feel it's more of a motor mount thing . Not a brake vacuum issue . Any car will idle rough when pumping brakes ( violently / too fast ) at or before a stop . Which I don't do as common practice . Could be wrong about THE SHAKES . .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #31
kou

Drives: 08 lb
it idles @600rpm somtimes dropping to 500rpm. the yaris is pretty close to stall speed at idle it was designed that way to get better FE when stopped.you will feel some shaking from the motor.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #32
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
[QUOTE=XYaris;223129]The power that the brakes need is what causes your rpm change and in turn the 'shaking' The car does it less or not at all in neutral because the brakes arent being used. For the same reason, a manual shakes less or not at all because less brake force is needed or none at all because the car wont drive away if one lifts up on the brakes.=QUOTE]
-
-
I have a manual and it shakes a lot. Better now after its broken in though. The brakes dont use any electrical power other than the brake lights. The ECU knows you have applied brakes and is hunting for lowest idle. Having an AC "on" sequence will cause a temporary idle speed drop-and-rise and the ECU will hunt again for lowest stable idle speed. I think the ECU programming could have better anticipated the ac on cycle and performed a concurrent idle 'up' whilst the compressor cycles 'on' which sucks up power in the mechanical accessory drive PLUS some significant electrical for the ac clutch electro-magnet.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 01-21-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typos - is this GRCCK?
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #33
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
it idles @600rpm somtimes dropping to 500rpm. the yaris is pretty close to stall speed at idle it was designed that way to get better FE when stopped.you will feel some shaking from the motor.
Yeah, that's exactly what my 5MT does. When I'm idling, it's generally 600 and smooth, but like you said it fluctuates sometimes down to 500 causing some vibration. I do wish it just stayed at 600 because I feel like it causes some kind of engine wear when it vibrates to a close stall.

Does this have any adverse effects on engines over time?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #34
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ +1
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I'm considering having my idle adjusted to stay at 600-700 rpm (after fully warmed up) to avoid the engine shaking. I'd rather burn slightly more gas than have it vibrate. This is an easy adjustment, right?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #36
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
+1
My tach hovers just above 500rpm and if I pop the hood I can see the engine vibrating pretty good, and just a slight tap on the throttle, to get it up to ~1000rpm and the engine looks completely still (nice balancing +1 Toyota Engineering!). OP, this is propbably the shaking your feeling, and even though it's normal, it drives me nuts cuz I like everything to be smooth. I feel your pain

Does anyone know how to tweak the ECU to make it idle a bit higher?
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote