Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Good performing tires for tropical conditions?

All right, I know I have been saying this for a long time, but the time has come to get new wheels. As much as I love the look of these big ol 18's, they're bashed up beyond repair and my tires are almost slicks.

So I've placed an order for some Lenso D-01 wheels in 15x7 ET38 (gonna have to put back in my front brakes too, no biggie):

I like the look of these, they're not too expensive either at just under $100 a piece.

But, I will need adapted tires. Currently I have Falken FK452's and they are awesome, great traction, great wet performance even in their current condition. But they only make them as small as 16"...

So, I need tires that are grippy enough on the dry for spirited driving, yet that won't float me around when we have a torrential downpour.

The next problem is that there isn't quite a high range of available tires as you guys have in the US. For example, Nitto NT-05 are really tempting but not available here, neither are Falken Azenis (RT-615)

So, any recommendation of brand and model I should look into?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Thanks... not sure I'll find these brands here...

Been doing some research and asking around and two seem quite decent,, Michelin Pilot Preceda 2's or Kumho Ecsta SPT's... anyone else run these?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
gammaray

Drives: 09 3D Liftback
Ive never had a bad Michelin tire on autos or motorcycles. The Kumho you list has a very good rating on Tirerack as well.
gammaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Goodyear Eagle GT is my preferred all season. EXCELLENT in the rain. It's a great year round street tire.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
If you want advice about tires for tropic weather then you should ask someone who actually is in the Tropic right?

OK, first than all.... You DON'T want all season tires.

You need a Summer High Performance tire that is GOOD on the rain.

Funny that you mentioned the Azenis 615. That is a great tire and I have set of them myself that I use during the dry season. They are acceptable on wet roads. But I don't feel all that confident with them on heavy rain. That will be the same with most of the ULTRA High perfomance tires out there (Azenis 615, Dunlop star spec's, kumho xS, Hankook rs-2, etc...)

My best advise (if the pocket allows it) is to have 2 sets of tires. One of the above mentioned for the dry months and another set for the wet season.

Now to your question... a GOOD and relatively grippy summer tire that is VERY GOOD in the wet.

The Yokohama S.Drive. Look no further....

Another good option is the kumho SPT (KU31)

These won't be on the same league as the options I mentioned earlier but is the way to go if you want some performance and safety on wet roads.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Thanks... not sure I'll find these brands here...

Been doing some research and asking around and two seem quite decent,, Michelin Pilot Preceda 2's or Kumho Ecsta SPT's... anyone else run these?

Oh I missed that you already mentioned the SPT's. That is what I'm wearing right now... as we are right in the middle of the rainy season. I switched my Azenis 615 for the spt's a couple of months ago when started to rain and these tires are great.
Very decent dry performance, grippy and quite... and most important they shine on the rain!

I love to see other people faces on the highway when everyboy is doing like 70km/h under the rain and I passed them at 110km/h with no sweat

But then again I would still rate the S.Drive's a little better. Probbaly the same on the wet, but a little superior on the dry.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
careful with gen tire uhp..issues with that thing blowing up during highway speed i think its due to this thing being light..theyre about 2-3 lbs lighter than average tires...im getting my rims tomorrow..hopefully..and i have research tires along the way..

so far if u gonna go cheap but fairly good.. hercules raptis is there as all season..

falken 912
nexen n3000
lexani n3000 under nexen
fusion which i believe is under bridgestone tires

another cheap one is the sumo firenza which is what im getting..

nankang ns2 as well..but not too sure bout this tires..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i also suggest GT Exclaim UHP's for wet conditions. mine just plow through the rain, and have great grip. I had to have mine ordered at local tire shop, waited 1 day and then had them put on. never going to look back, as I saved a bit on these tires vs competition...

I also bring these up to 80-90 mph no problem, ridden with load at highway speeds no problem (3 adults and luggage) so I'm not sure what this exploding tire statement is, this is the second time this was mentioned with ZERO links or evidence. please supply this, as my life could be in danger man! haha, anyway, I personally went with 195/55/15. the /50 series was lighter, but I wanted the gearing to match closer, and like the idea of more absorbing ability vs low profile
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

All right, thanks a lot guys, I guess it's time to go to the tire shop and compare prices

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Yokohama Advan Neova in ADO7 or the newer ADO8 tread design. I live in a tropical country :)

Wet-weather grip is amazing for these tires and I have yet to see any other tire beat it. It will take an r-compound tire to beat the Neovas. But it is really a dry-weather super duper high performance tire if you read its specs.
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

yes, those yokohamas sound like they're a step above, I'll look out for them but I'm pretty sure they'll be above my budget... Plus, I don't think they make them in 195/55R15...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I liked the Parada Spec-2's. Handled pretty good in dry and in wet conditions. Only down side was they were LOUD when braking. Tire life can be better, but what can you do. Gotta sacrifice something if you want grippy tires.

Anywho, these ranked pretty good on tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lot+Exalto+PE2

*Edit: Scratch this, they don't have them in 195/55/15's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Cheapest of the three.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
yes, those yokohamas sound like they're a step above, I'll look out for them but I'm pretty sure they'll be above my budget... Plus, I don't think they make them in 195/55R15...
Well they are available here in the Philippines. The 195/55R15 and 205/50R15 are the two most popular sizes here in Manila. Yokohama's got an even bigger factory there in Bkk so they MUST have it. :)

Goodluck, hope you do get them :)
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote