Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
nikonNUT

Drives: 2010 3 Door L
Tips for first spark plug change...

Evening all,
So, first off I'm not mechanically disinclined and know my way around an engine bay but I do have some questions. Back in the old(er) days of Toyota I had a '94 pick-up with the 22RE and never had any issues changing the plugs but my father had a '94 4-runner with the 3VZ-E 3.0 V-6 that gave him fits. Anyways... My yaris is a '10 with 748000miles on the clock so it's time to change them. Aside from the use of anti-sieze (they call it anti-Chris where I work. Funny story ) are they any tips? It's been suggested that I dribble a small amount of Sea Foam down in the holes and them let the engine it get warm. The sea foam will work its way down the threats and remove any carbon that might give me issues during removal. Sounds advice? It's just that I have heard horror stories about snapped spark plugs (and the internet would never lie right? ) and I don't want to have to deal with that hassle. Having the dealer do it isn't out of the question either as long as it isn't stupid $$$$. I know this topic has been beaten to death and I've dug through the posts but I figured I'd just ask and take some flack :) Thanks all!

P.S. Do ya'll think the silver anti sieze is good enough or am I better served by the copper version from a dissimilar metals stand point? I've got a BIG bottle of the copper Caterpillar version at work.
nikonNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
copper is fine as for the rest I think u worry to much or watch to much youtube lol
just remove they should and will come out fine unless they where change before and over tighten with out anti seize ...if u can blow out any dirt that can be sitting in the plug area before u remove them and go for it.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
nikonNUT

Drives: 2010 3 Door L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
copper is fine as for the rest I think u worry to much or watch to much youtube lol
just remove they should and will come out fine unless they where change before and over tighten with out anti seize ...if u can blow out any dirt that can be sitting in the plug area before u remove them and go for it.
Thank you, wolfman! I do worry to much but I'm a machinist by trade and all those close tolerances make me a tad bit anal I'll get some plugs ordered and hit it next weekend. Thanks again!
nikonNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Depending on the plug, anti-seize should NOT be used as it could cause damage to your car. Check out this TSB from NKG.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I think what they are talking about it common sense its why they may not recommend use of anti seize ..use proper torque as specified and u will be fine in all the yrs of working on cars the once with nothing on caused most problems ...I always use it ...also just stick with stock iridium plugs from Toyota I find they work just fine do the job and last.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote