Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
TRD exhaust hanger issues....check yours

I have the TRD cat-back on both my 2009 xD, and my 2011 Yaris 3dr LB.
The TRD system includes an extra, heavier-duty rubber hanger, in addition to the OEM ones which are retained and also used. This same hanger is used on the Yaris system too, despite it being a different part than the xD exhaust.

Our 2009 xD, with just 30,000 is now on it's 3rd TRD only rubber hanger, as they keep cracking and breaking while the 2 smaller OEM ones are fine. Still elasticy and supple. When this rubber cracks and breaks it allows a lot more free play of the exhaust system which cant be good for the joints and seals upstream of it. I first noticed the exhaust seemed "loose" during a wash one time.

Apparently the 2 smaller OEM hangers are not entirely sufficiient on their own with the accessory exhaust (if they were then TRD likely would've not bothered with the third in their cat back package)

My Yaris' TRD hanger is beginning to show signs of premature failure as well....

I have also looked under OTHER xDs with the TRD exhaust (yes, Ive looked under other people's cars!) and the same problem seems to exist on them all.

I encourage all TRD exhaust owners to visually check the extra hanger, the one in question pushes up into the floor of the trunk/cargo area through a hole in the sheet metal, and attaches to the muffler on a pin (as the others do) and will be the largest of the three.

The part number for replacement is PTR03-52103, and that part is "Made in USA" which probably explains why its not the same quality as the OEM rubber hangers. I will be keeping an extra in my tools just in case, with 2 vehicles running the TRD systems.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yup, the ones that came with my Borla rotted like that in less than a year. Used 3 or 4 zip ties ever since. My Borla is going on 9 years old now.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I had the same thing happen too. My dealer gave me another one free under warrantee. Those hangers look homemade...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
ljming99

Drives: Yaris '06
Well, an alternative is to upgrade it to harder ones like these ( and they are not expensive anyway)

Just make sure the size of the hole is correct.

Oh and take note these are really stiff and needs some sort of lubrication to install =P

But the effect can be felt, like having a engine damper installed

ljming99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Thanks for the heads-up. Mine does look to be hanging a bit lower than when new.
My sedan's TRD pipe came with no additional hangers. The original OEM hangers were simply re-used.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote