Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
slipaway172

Drives: 2010 3dr
Intermittent rough idle and stall

I've have creeped here for the longest time and this forum has been the biggest help but now I have a strange question for y'all.

Intermittently my 2010 yaris has had slightly rough idle, just enough to make the driver uncomfortable. I haven't had much problem out of it until now. I have 106000 miles on it. I just replaced the serpitiene belt ( badily cracked and made a squeek when colt), and the problem got much much worse. Today I also replaced all spark plugs with Toyota spec spark plugs. This made no difference. I have also tested all 4 coil packs to no avail, they all appear to be working because when I pull any one of them it engine almost stalls. I also checked the maf sensor and it is clean. I did a long time ago install an aftermarket cold air intake system. It is not throwing any codes, even checked with obd2.

The trouble is intermittent when idling. The more load on the motor the worse it is, turn ac on it gets worse, put transmission in r, or d and worse. If I turn off the ac or put transmission in neutral the idle is still rough but not is bad. If I give the engine a little gas it will fix it . if I am driving it runs perfectly. I have never heard anything weird or had any smoke. The motor and transmission mounts are good.

When I am driving and come to a stop for a light or stop sign is mostly when it will occur but not always. It does not matter if engine is hot or cold. Transmission fluid is full, raditior is full. Oil is synthetic. Battery was replaced one hear ago for typical battery going dead in winter symptoms. I have also replaced the alternator due to constant screeching about a year ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited by slipaway172; 12-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.
slipaway172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Try to clean the MAF and throttle body. Search the forum for a guide. Really easy. Then leave the battery disconnected for a while. Reconnect it and drive it a while and see if that helps.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I would try and clean the throttle body. It could be all gummed up.

Just pull the intake off and with the key ok, wedge the accelerator down with something so the throttle plate stays open and you can spray and wipe it clean.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Check for a vacuum leak using fuel trims. Then use a smoker or a lit incense stick to find where the leak is coming from if there is one.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
slipaway172

Drives: 2010 3dr
Nasty throttle body and wiring harness was chewed up going to the maf sensor, causing the trouble. The dealer had to replace the harness. Ouch no idea what caused it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
slipaway172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Chances are the wiring was still ok even if it was chewed or there would definitely have been a code. Then engine NEEDS the MAF to run effectively. If the TB was nasty that would most likely have been the issue.

Do you have a picture of the wiring?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote