Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
stv792

Drives: 2007 Vitz Rs
Question Bee-r rev limiter

Hi,
Has anyone ever installed a Bee-r rev limiter on their yaris/ vitz? If so what are the wires you used?
Thank you
stv792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
What are you looking to do? There is already a rev limiter on this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What are you looking to do? There is already a rev limiter on this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is Bee*R’s popular two-stage ignition cutting rev-limiter. It is used to prevent damage arising from over-revving your engine. Part of the reason for its popularity is the large flames and loud bangs it produces from the exhaust when active!

The way in which it works differs from the factory rev limiter in that it is an ignition cut, as opposed to a fuel cut. The reason for this is because if an engine (particularly turbocharged) regularly hits a fuel-cut rev limit (such as in high performance driving, or particularly drifting) engine damage can arise due to the lean condition produced when the original ECU shuts off the fuel pump. The BEE*R rev-limiter allows fuel to pass into the engine still, limiting engine speed by disabling the ignition signal. The Bee*R rev limiter is fully adjustable in 500rpm increments, for safety reasons allowing only a lower rev-limit to be configured than standard. If you have spent a lot of money tuning your engine, or are running at high RPM’s for extended periods of time, it could be recommended to run a lower rev-limit to prolong engine life. Both Formula 1 and JGTC cars use ignition cutting rev limiters, so it is a fully race proven concept.

The Bee*R can also be used as a “two stage rev limiter”, as an aid for launching your car. The Bee*R is configurable for two different rev-limits. A lower rev limit can be activated by a switch, the handbrake switch often being used. This configurable lower limit, can be set to the optimum RPM to launch your particular car from in 500rpm increments. When the handbrake is released, the usual rev limit comes into action, allowing quick launches, and full performance down the strip.

The Bee*R rev-limiter has another final neat feature. The gain control knob allows you to adjust the frequency of the ignition cut. This in turn changes the frequency and sound of the flames and bangs from your exhaust!
Old 02-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv792 View Post
Hi,
Has anyone ever installed a Bee-r rev limiter on their yaris/ vitz? If so what are the wires you used?
Thank you
I helped someone install one on a US Yaris quite some time ago, but I don't remember too much other than it having only required about 6 connections. If you can post the installation manual for it, I can tell you how to wire it on your car.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
stv792

Thank you CTScott but I bought it second hand and don't have any manuals :/
I'll try search online.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
stv792

Hi scott sry for the long reply, but it took me a while to find what the wires do. I need to connections from the ecu, crank position sensor at 0" and crank position sensor at 180". I would really appreciate your help ctscott and thank you as always :)
Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
Kinda bringing this back from the dead but...is the 0 crank position the NE- and the 180 NE+? That's the last thing I need before I put mine in. Thanks

Sorry...those are pin 121 and 122 on the c20 connector.
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickyaris09 View Post
Kinda bringing this back from the dead but...is the 0 crank position the NE- and the 180 NE+? That's the last thing I need before I put mine in. Thanks

Sorry...those are pin 121 and 122 on the c20 connector.
There are no simple 0 and 180 degree indicators on a modern engine. NE+ is a pulsed signal which creates 34 pulses per revolution (with a gap between revolutions, so the ECM can tell when 0 begins), but the device monitoring the revs needs to know how many pulses per rev and then needs to count half way to detect the 180 degree point.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
Ok so a buddy gave me his bee r rev limiter... I've looked on here and don't understand where the 12v ignition signal wire hooks up...

C20 pin 81? Thanks for you help. It just seems "too" simple lol
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote