Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Toyota Yaris iA vs. Mazda CX-3

"While 2017 was another watershed year for crossovers, in one interesting case, a crossover had its lunch eaten by its sedan counterpart. In the past year, Toyota sold nearly 36,000 Yaris iAs, a sedan that is identical to the foreign-market Mazda2 in everything but Toyota's ugly front bumper. In the same time frame, Mazda sold just over 16,000 CX-3s, a subcompact crossover based on the Mazda2. Not only that, but the Yaris iA saw an increase of around 8,000 units over 2016, and the CX-3 sold about 2,000 fewer units than in 2016."

Thought this was interesting. You can read the full article here.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
yea the iA is one of the ugliest cars ive ever seen

we test drove a couple cx-3's very nice at different dealers but the salesman were game players and not serious
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Interesting. I also cannot stand the iA, it's ugly and cheap looking and don't trust it's reliability as it is Mazda made not Toyota.

I wonder if the sales difference was due to people not trusting reliability of Mazda and going to the iS instead thinking it is a true Toyota?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The CX-3 would have easily sold 5x+ more units if it was a rebranded Toyota instead, since they have more dealerships, more exposure, and more brand-loyal customers. Heck, if Toyota customers will buy a fugly C-HR, iA or Prius/Prius-C, they will literally buy anything with a Toyota logo on it.

Most people aren't very informed about much of anything outside of their personal little bubble reality, so I doubt that even 5% of them know that the iA is actually a rebranded Mazda2. They probably believe that they are buying a 'real Toyota' if someone doesn't educate them prior to purchase.

I would have rather seen the current Mazda2 hatch being sold at Mazda dealerships in NA than the CX-3. The CX-3 looks weird & cartoony (though not nearly as much as the C-HR), and the fat black plastic body molding/trim common with Crossover/SUV styling (& now even the Prius C) just looks cheap as hell.

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-05-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I agree with everything you stated.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
cx3 unavailable with a manual

/thread
Old 01-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The CX-3 would have easily sold 5x+ more units if it was a rebranded Toyota instead, since they have more dealerships, more exposure, and more brand-loyal customers. Heck, if Toyota customers will buy a fugly C-HR, iA or Prius/Prius-C, they will literally buy anything with a Toyota logo on it.

Most people aren't very informed about much of anything outside of their personal little bubble reality, so I doubt that even 5% of them know that the iA is actually a rebranded Mazda2. They probably believe that they are buying a 'real Toyota' if someone doesn't educate them prior to purchase.

I would have rather seen the current Mazda2 hatch being sold at Mazda dealerships in NA than the CX-3. The CX-3 looks weird & cartoony (though not nearly as much as the C-HR), and the fat black plastic body molding/trim common with Crossover/SUV styling (& now even the Prius C) just looks cheap as hell.
This. Spot on.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
"While 2017 was another watershed year for crossovers, in one interesting case, a crossover had its lunch eaten by its sedan counterpart. In the past year, Toyota sold nearly 36,000 Yaris iAs, a sedan that is identical to the foreign-market Mazda2 in everything but Toyota's ugly front bumper. In the same time frame, Mazda sold just over 16,000 CX-3s, a subcompact crossover based on the Mazda2. Not only that, but the Yaris iA saw an increase of around 8,000 units over 2016, and the CX-3 sold about 2,000 fewer units than in 2016."

Thought this was interesting. You can read the full article here.
How bizzare... I honestly would have though the opposite, since people tend to be looking for versatility?

There is one big advantage which the CX-3 has over the iA that would sway buyers, (especially north of the US border) and that's the availability of the car in AWD form.

If they were to offer the Yaris iA with AWD though...
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post

/thread
yea that is terrible.
also, you can get a mazda 3 hatchback for less money than a cx-3, it gets better fuel millage, has more power and has more cargo room!
the only reason to get a cx-3 is for AWD. and if you feel you need that, you should probably get a cx-5 and loose 4mpg but gain much more cargo room and much more power. (on demand) but still no standard trans available.
i think the cx-3 is pretty useless. i'm surprised they sold any of them...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post

/thread
Yes it is, but only in the base GX model.

https://mobile.guideautoweb.com/en/s...3/gx-fwd/2018/
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Yes it is, but only in the base GX model.

https://mobile.guideautoweb.com/en/s...3/gx-fwd/2018/
nice, in the states its not available with a MT.

i've driven a CX3 awd slushbox. i liked it, but with an auto it needed another 30hp
Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
ern-diz

On a related note, Jalopnik seems to like the Yaris iA...

A Manual Toyota Yaris iA Is Secretly A Super Fun Car

On Wheelwell
Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
On a related note, Jalopnik seems to like the Yaris iA...

A Manual Toyota Yaris iA Is Secretly A Super Fun Car
I guess they didn't drive it for 1-3 years, to see if they got one of the ones that experience premature manual/automatic transmission failure, or a host of other mechanical issues. Made in Mexico with pride, no doubt, just like the problem-prone Fit & HR-V.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I guess they didn't drive it for 1-3 years, to see if they got one of the ones that experience premature manual/automatic transmission failure, or a host of other mechanical issues. Made in Mexico with pride, no doubt, just like the problem-prone Fit & HR-V.
I'd take an iA, Fit or HR-V over any Hyundai or Kia of the same class, or even one or two above.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
Kalispel

I was recently reading a thread about HR-V owners who had taillights that filled up with water when it rained, etc. - and how Honda just tried to replace the seals under warranty instead of the whole (corroded, discolored) unit. Also read other threads about automatic transmission problems and such. It's crazy how build/design quality has dropped for Honda since around 2000, and I'm sure that having low-wage people in certain countries build them doesn't help.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I love my IA so much more than my 2010 Yaris hatchback. Whatever, I know it's not popular here, but if mine happened to get totaled, I'd get another just like it.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I love my IA so much more than my 2010 Yaris hatchback. Whatever, I know it's not popular here, but if mine happened to get totaled, I'd get another just like it.
I would LOVE to love the Toyota iA/Mazda2, but...

(1) I've read too many owner reviews/comments online regarding iA transmission failure/problems before even reaching 36K, along with a host of other issues that shouldn't be manifesting in a quality, new car. Not sure if this is a Mexico-built problem (similar issues with the Mexico built Fit, HR-V, etc.) or a Mazda design/quality problem, but it isn't something to simply ignore because I really want to like the neat Mazda zoom-zoom factor of the car.

(2) Toyota did a great job ruining the styling with that absolute abomination of a front fascia. Heck, most people even hate the 2015+ Yaris front fascia styling, but the IA takes it to a whole new level. Hopefully, Toyota will refresh it in 2019 with something less hideous and trout-faced. It could also desperately use an update to those uninspired 1990 halogen-reflector headlights, as well as some factory fog-lights & LED DRL. The OEM tires are also a really odd, sad size (with less brand options if you want to stick with OEM sizes). It's like they couldn't decide if the car was supposed to be sporty or an eco-box, so met somewhere in the middle with the sizing.

I am glad that you love your iA though, and really do hope that you didn't get one assembled by the Mazda factory B-team in Mexico (like quite a few unfortunate people did apparently). The front styling issue(s) can be easily overlooked if the car could be reliably produced to be bulletproof against major/minor issues in the first 150K miles (at least). Nothing personal - just my own opinion(s). Ultimately, YOU are the one who has to like your car, and be willing to deal with whatever potential issues might arise. Lord knows I've read enough unadulterated hate for the Yaris hatch online over the years, but I am glad that I formed my own opinion and opted to give one a whirl. No regrets here, and hopefully the same will apply for you.

Though, while I really do love my manual 2015 Yaris hatch SE, I think that am going the Japan-built Toyota iM/Auris route with my next auto purchase in late 2018 or 2019. Probably in Barcelona (Deep) Red or Arctic Blizzard White. I think I like the iM size/proportions a bit better than my Yaris hatch, since it is a bit longer, wider and shorter, and less 'boxy' than my Yaris - yet still a small, compact car (& still a hatch! ).

I'm not a fan of the updated 2018 front/rear/wheel styling of the Yaris hatch though. Poorly-conceived/executed refresh (especially the US version), to squeeze another few years out of the 2nd/3rd gen time-tested mechanics, before the new global platform Yaris makes it debut in 2021(?). I wonder if it will even make it to the US market though, with the dismal sales numbers the Yaris hatch has in the US currently.

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.