Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
jmranger

Drives: Yaris 4-dr 2011 MT
broken coil spring

Hello,
Looking for another opinion...
2011 Yaris sedan, bought new. No other driver. Used in an area where potholes and winter abrasives is the normal way of life.
Front passenger coil spring broke at ~3 years, 42000km (26000mi), around 1/2 turn from the top end. Replaced under warranty.
Front driver coil spring just broke, at ~6 years, 61000km (38000mi), at the same 1/2 turn from the top end. Out of warranty this time.
No damaged wheel/tire, ever.
Part of my brain is shouting "manufacturing defect", but I don't really have arguments to challenge the local Toyota shop that claims potholes, rust and bad luck.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
jmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You likely won't have any luck since its out of warranty, and like you said in the salt belt. It does sound like a defect as the springs are not a common fail part in the yaris.

Not sure where you're located but I have all 4 of my oem springs sitting in my shed and they're currently on sale in the classifieds. No rust or cracks in them
Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
jmranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
You likely won't have any luck since its out of warranty, and like you said in the salt belt. It does sound like a defect as the springs are not a common fail part in the yaris.

Not sure where you're located but I have all 4 of my oem springs sitting in my shed and they're currently on sale in the classifieds. No rust or cracks in them
Thanks for the offer. I've already approved the repair, just not picked-up the car yet.
Both have now failed, so that should be the end of that story.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I don't think I've ever heard of a spring breaking on a Yaris/Echo/Vitz.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
jmranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of a spring breaking on a Yaris/Echo/Vitz.
Well, now you have...
(Thanks for the info)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
My front Eibach broke at 330000km and the rear at 380000km. I had forgot they had a lifetime warranty at the time when it when to the scrap metal recycling bin.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I just did a set of rear Springs on a 2009 Yaris hatchback at work, the RR had a 3 inch piece broken off at the bottom and you could see a crack in the spring itself (rusty at the point of break) The good news is it took Toyota a few days to get them to us, so it's definitely not a common failure.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:56 AM   #8
JanForsy

Drives: My wife
Pre-owned used cars remain a popular choice among car enthusiasts. With several leasing companies available throughout Melbourne, depending on your financial circumstances, choosing the best-used car agency can be challenging. However, used car removal agencies who work with reputable companies will ensure you have a hassle-free restorative process when trading in your old vehicle. While some agencies offer loan payments, it's best to work out upfront how much you'll be paying for loan payments and any finance fees that may have been charged.
JanForsy is offline   Reply With Quote