Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Yaris should do way better

So, for the second time in six months my car is in the body shop getting healed from the effects of suicidal deer. This is my second kill, both does.

While my car is in the shop I'm driving a rental, a Toyota Corolla. This is of course a automatic. The weird thing is that after a week of driving I have an average of 38 MPG, and I still have over 40 MPG average since I filled up yesterday. Now with the Yaris I generally get around 43 MPG per tank, but in the summer I can do a good bet better.

I almost am ready to give up on manual transmissions since this Corolla is doing almost as good..

Granted, I am using all of my tricks, coasting in neutral, downshifting when stopping, and avoiding using the brakes, timing traffic lights.

I know that there have been very few updates to the Yaris engine for what, over 10 years? Come on, I'm sure that engine could be improved.

One other thing I noted was how much slower the Corolla engine runs in top gear. Almost 1000 RPM less than the Yaris. That helps too. I want a six speed transmission (manual).

Hell, the first deer put me in a small Ford, and it too got 40 MPG with out even trying.

I do not want to ever see any more deer.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
I agree, it should do better. Corollas are very nearly as capable as my Echo, and Yaris added weight vs. the Echo. These engines don't like weight. They also shortened the gearing somewhere along the way to compensate.

Automatics now are geared very tall, they make up a lot of Cronus when you hit your cruise speed. I'm done with autotragic transmissions though, whatever replaces the Echo has to be stick, non-negotiable.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The corolla's CVT automatic gets better mileage
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdkt7 View Post
I do not want to ever see any more deer.

While I was growing up, my grandparents neighbor hit a big buck while driving his huge Pontiac Bonneville station wagon. Totaled the station wagon.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
You bring up a great point. However, if the Yaris was engineered to give better mpgs, surely it would cost more? I'm not sure how much, however. I like it because it's cheap. I'm still amazed that the Corolla can be had for only a bit more than the Yaris, consider how much more "tech" it has on it.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
You bring up a great point. However, if the Yaris was engineered to give better mpgs, surely it would cost more? I'm not sure how much, however. I like it because it's cheap. I'm still amazed that the Corolla can be had for only a bit more than the Yaris, consider how much more "tech" it has on it.
Not necessarily...put it on a diet, that's the best first step. Maybe hone the aerodynamics a bit. Expensive would be designing new transmissions, though maybe they can tweak the Corolla 6mt to fit? Same for CVT, though I'd rather see a six-speed auto, not tht it matters since I wouldn't be interested in an auto box no matter what form it takes...the 1NZ can and does do well, if given the proper environment.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I think the biggest change would be a transmission better suited. It's pretty good for driveablity but does not enable the best fuel economy. I can see that the Corolla is getting better mpg on the highway then the Yaris does, watching the gauge. The only way to get there would be to add a 6th gear, without sacrificing drivablity.

The reviewers sure hate inexpensive, reliable, and economical cars though, and always complain about engine noise if it is responsive, and sluggish if it is quiet.

Or in the case of CVT transmissions, the fact that the car does not go vvrrroooooom as it speeds up annoys those who don't understand how a CVT works to keep the engine at the best rpm for the load. Too bad, since a CVT can really help the engine be efficient.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

I sure hope the body shop puts my car back together better this time. Something rattled from the previous repairs, and the hood did not look like it was lined up quite right along the front edge. The hood seemed to have too much play in it when latched (up and down), and the Toyota logo on the grill was loose.

First deer caused 3,500 in damages, the second came in at around $3,800. I was afraid it was totaled this time when I saw how the roof was bent. I am not going to enjoy driving it like I did before the first wreck happened.

I read some where that the deer population is 100 times what it once was (not sure of the time frame). There are so many that the trees are not getting the chance to grow up from saplings as the deer are hungry. I hope that I have bagged my limit for a lifetime.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The Yaris engine is very good and it would be difficult to make any improvements to it. Which is why they still use it. They might figger out how to make it cheaper and then change it.

Just because something is "new" doesnt mean its better! My ST1100 (1992) was a better mc than my 2004 ST13. Better mpg, lower center of gavity for improved handling, longer wheel base for improved high speed (120+ mph) operation, easier to service and repair, cheaper tires, and a whole lot more. In fact its hard to imagine a better design for a motorcycle made for long distance high speed travel.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
I think the yaris has a conventional old style automatic,4 speeds non lock-up converter.probably cant expect much better than 38 or 40.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascolt45 View Post
I think the yaris has a conventional old style automatic,4 speeds non lock-up converter.probably cant expect much better than 38 or 40.
The member who started this thread (the OP) has a manual transmission Yaris, not an automatic .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
It may be old school but the auto does have a lock-up torque converter.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #13
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The 4 speed auto of the Yaris glides just as well , if not better , than the 5 speed auto of the FIT . The 4 speed is also more durable than that of the FIT . Tranny fluid is in need of a drain / fill every 35,000 miles and the 4 speed every 100,000 (?) miles . Here's a U.O.A. of the factory WS tranny fluid for a 2004 RAV at 265,000 miles , http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...65#Post3679458 . I think that's a 4 speed auto . Amazing !

Last edited by Hershey; 08-24-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
oh yea its definetly durable.my first tank I averaged 32.7.electronics said 32.5 so its pretty close too.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Cobequid801

Drives: Orange Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The Yaris engine is very good and it would be difficult to make any improvements to it. Which is why they still use it. They might figger out how to make it cheaper and then change it.

Just because something is "new" doesnt mean its better! My ST1100 (1992) was a better mc than my 2004 ST13. Better mpg, lower center of gavity for improved handling, longer wheel base for improved high speed (120+ mph) operation, easier to service and repair, cheaper tires, and a whole lot more. In fact its hard to imagine a better design for a motorcycle made for long distance high speed travel.

Plus one for the ST1100 I have a 2000, just bought my wife a 2007 Yaris automatic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cobequid801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
cparker

Drives: 2014 Yaris L
That's one reason we see so many more Corollas than Yariss. The Corollas are only about $ 1000.00 more than a Yaris, bigger and get about the same mileage. One thing the Yaris has over the Corolla is the hatchback convenience. You can stick large items in the back of a Yaris with the rear seat folded down. The opening of the Corolla trunk isn't big, so you can't get large items in. That's one reason I traded my Honda Civic sedan in for the Yaris hatchback.
cparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #17
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The Yaris engine is very good and it would be difficult to make any improvements to it. Which is why they still use.
Every mechanic I know swears by the Echo/Yaris' engine. One goes as far as claiming it's the best internal combustion ever built by the human race! I would still be open to them adding on a light boost turbo

Quote:
I think the yaris has a conventional old style automatic,4 speeds non lock-up converter
The 3rd gen Yaris Sedan has a 6 speed auto box, while the batch back still has a 4 speed auto box, yet gives some pretty impressive mileage by all accounts. Shame the 3rd gen car otherwise lacks the fun, instant feel of its lighter weight predecessors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker View Post
One thing the Yaris has over the Corolla is the hatchback convenience. You can stick large items in the back of a Yaris with the rear seat folded down.
Yes, last week I transported a washing machine in the back of my 2006 Yaris hatchback.

Last edited by tarkus; 04-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #18
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker View Post
That's one reason we see so many more Corollas than Yariss. The Corollas are only about $ 1000.00 more than a Yaris, bigger and get about the same mileage. One thing the Yaris has over the Corolla is the hatchback convenience. You can stick large items in the back of a Yaris with the rear seat folded down. The opening of the Corolla trunk isn't big, so you can't get large items in. That's one reason I traded my Honda Civic sedan in for the Yaris hatchback.
The only reason to buy a Yaris L/LE over a Corolla really is the hatchback factor and/or to have a car that you don't see at every corner/stoplight.

I purchased a Yaris SE because of the hatchback (plus subcompact) factor + I find the SE to be aesthetically pleasing to look at (for me at least) - unlike the fugly (in all trim-levels), weird/weak-stanced latest Corolla. I also hate the gross market over-saturation factor of cars like the Corolla, Civic, etc. on the road. Despite wanting a hatchback, I probably would have sucked it up and purchased a manual Acura ILX (or automatic 2010-2012 Yaris Sedan) if I hadn't been so enamored by the snarky little Yaris SE.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-04-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote