Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
TakaritasYaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
2016 SE?

Hello Everyone!
I am driving a 2008 RS for the last 4 years and looking to upgrade to the new 2016 SE.
I am wondering is there is significant improvement in the handling and stability on the new model. I am a sales rep and do lots of mileage.
TakaritasYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I'm really happy with my SE, though I wonder now why I waited 9-10 months to install the TRD rear-sway-bar on it, seeing how it really is a very noticeable improvement in handling and stability. Yet another thing that should have been standard equipment on the SE, even if it raised the selling price by $200. It does sort of bug me that Toyota isn't willing to invest a bit more performance "street cred" into their SE/Sports trim models from the factory than they do.

Some people have complained about the low-speed turning radius penalty that the "Sports Tuned Steering" imposes on the SE, but it's a fair trade-off for the improved handling/responsiveness on the road IMO. Of course, that is something that everyone has to decide for themselves. Same with the "Sports Tuned Suspension" in term terms of performance delivered versus ride quality sacrificed. The ride can be somewhat harsh on lower-quality, choppy roadways, but is smooth, quiet and comfortable on a good road/highway.

Braking with the 4-wheel-disc-brakes is top-notch, and the car really does feel like it can stop on a dime (though can be sort of catchy at low speeds until you get used to it). I read that wind/road noise dampening is improved over earlier models, but that is something you will need to compare for yourself, as I haven't driven anything earlier than a 2015 model. Same with increased body rigidity via more spot-welds on the frame of the 2015/2016.

I'm not sure if you prefer automatic or manual, but the clutch on the 2015/2016 is of a new hydraulic design for the Yaris, and said to be a big improvement over the earlier clutches for the car. I really like it, though it feels longer (more travel from full depression to release) than the Honda clutches that I have driven in the past. The automatic is the same tried-and-true bulletproof one that has been in every Yaris since it debuted.

The upgraded seats in the SE are also very comfortable and grippy, and keep you in a good driving position on hard/fast cornering and such.

If you have been happy with your 2008 RS, then you will probably also enjoy the 2016 SE, as the car is extremely similar mechanically, with only minor tweaks here and there to differentiate it from it's earlier brethren. The cosmetics/sheetmetal really is the biggest difference in the 2nd and 3rd gen - and that all boils down to subjective opinions. Personally, I like BOTH from an aesthetic standpoint (including the 2007-2012 sedan/Belta version of the car) - most notably in the SE/RS (3rd Gen) and S/RS (2nd Gen) trims.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I've now driven all three eras of Yaris/Echo, including the 2016. The new one feels more refined, comfortable and is quieter. It is great for long journeys. However, at the same time it feels heavier and lacks some of the immediate responsiveness of the previous models. For long distance economy driving you might also want to look at the sedan, which has better aerodynamics and a 6-speed transmission.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
However, at the same time it feels heavier and lacks some of the immediate responsiveness of the previous models.
It is heavier because it has a longer wheel base than previous generations (2 inches I believe). This also contributes to it being less responsive when changing directions quickly in say a low speed autocross course, but the trade off would be more stability at higher speeds (highway, trackdays).

I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
tarkus

Yes, it's longer and heavier, and IMO would have benefited from a 1.8 litre engine. The responsiveness I'm talking about includes acceleration. Basically the car feels more sluggish compared to earlier models. But if you're mainly looking for a comfortable long distance drive, it wins hands down.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
fslaugts

Drives: 03 miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I'm really happy with my SE, though I wonder now why I waited 9-10 months to install the TRD rear-sway-bar on it, seeing how it really is a very noticeable improvement in handling and stability. Yet another thing that should have been standard equipment on the SE, even if it raised the selling price by $200. It does sort of bug me that Toyota isn't willing to invest a bit more performance "street cred" into their SE/Sports trim models from the factory than they do.

Some people have complained about the low-speed turning radius penalty that the "Sports Tuned Steering" imposes on the SE, but it's a fair trade-off for the improved handling/responsiveness on the road IMO. Of course, that is something that everyone has to decide for themselves. Same with the "Sports Tuned Suspension" in term terms of performance delivered versus ride quality sacrificed. The ride can be somewhat harsh on lower-quality, choppy roadways, but is smooth, quiet and comfortable on a good road/highway.

Braking with the 4-wheel-disc-brakes is top-notch, and the car really does feel like it can stop on a dime (though can be sort of catchy at low speeds until you get used to it). I read that wind/road noise dampening is improved over earlier models, but that is something you will need to compare for yourself, as I haven't driven anything earlier than a 2015 model. Same with increased body rigidity via more spot-welds on the frame of the 2015/2016.

I'm not sure if you prefer automatic or manual, but the clutch on the 2015/2016 is of a new hydraulic design for the Yaris, and said to be a big improvement over the earlier clutches for the car. I really like it, though it feels longer (more travel from full depression to release) than the Honda clutches that I have driven in the past. The automatic is the same tried-and-true bulletproof one that has been in every Yaris since it debuted.

The upgraded seats in the SE are also very comfortable and grippy, and keep you in a good driving position on hard/fast cornering and such.

If you have been happy with your 2008 RS, then you will probably also enjoy the 2016 SE, as the car is extremely similar mechanically, with only minor tweaks here and there to differentiate it from it's earlier brethren. The cosmetics/sheetmetal really is the biggest difference in the 2nd and 3rd gen - and that all boils down to subjective opinions. Personally, I like BOTH from an aesthetic standpoint (including the 2007-2012 sedan/Belta version of the car) - most notably in the SE/RS (3rd Gen) and S/RS (2nd Gen) trims.

Happy hunting!
I have only seen the L and Le model on the local dealer lot. Did you order your car? I have not test drove any model yet. But I really would like an Se with auto...Also I read they do not have a arm rest. Does that bother you?
Thanks
fslaugts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fslaugts View Post
I have only seen the L and Le model on the local dealer lot. Did you order your car? I have not test drove any model yet. But I really would like an Se with auto...Also I read they do not have a arm rest. Does that bother you?
Thanks
The local dealers in 2015 here in Arizona had a few yaris SE's on the lot - ALL automatics, and only in gray, black and silver. Most of what they had was L/LE - which to be fair, are the primary Yaris trims that sell to most Americans (who are almost always buying a Yaris for budget/practical reasons). I was dead-set on having a manual SE at the time, and white was my first choice (silver second), so I ended up having to track down one of the only two manual white SE's available in the entire U.S. at the time. Luckily one was in Colorado, which wasn't too far away, and had been sitting on the lot there unwanted for about 8 months. Thus, I was able to wrangle-up a really good buying price that way more than offset having to ship it to my home here in Arizona (freight was about $550 if I recall). They were so happy to be selling it that they accepted my first lowball offer - which actually shocked me somewhat.

The thought of not having an armrest bothered be at first, since I was so accustomed to it on my old Accord, but once I got into the Yaris and drove it, I quickly determined that an armrest would be in the way and interfere with driving a manual Yaris (at least for me) - due to the different positioning of the gearbox in the Yaris relative to my seating position, versus how it was in my Accord. I miss the extra storage space of not having a good armrest/center-console-unit like what was in my old car, but I'm far more comfortable driving and shifting without one in my Yaris.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-31-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
the no armrest issue turned out to be a non issue

i was sure that i needed one

i was wrong

i take super long road trips with no comfort problems at all

justanotherdrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #9
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I may be incorrect, but I see the original poster is from Canada, and is likely discussing the new Mazda 2 made Yaris that is now being sold in Canada. Am I correct in my assumption?
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #10
tarkus

I didn't think we had those over here in. Canada yet.

Last edited by tarkus; 06-02-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #11
JMJahn

Drives: Yaris T2 Style 2016
((I'll start a new thread if this is too far off topic ))

I still can't fathom why Toyota changes specs for different countries.
I just ordered a Yaris T2 Style here in Denmark and it is the SE however
a look at specs brings up a lot of differences. I don't see a reason.
The style is 1.33/99HP
It does have an armrest (must have from wife)
Backup camera
But no DAB radio (digital radio, similar to SAT radio) which it does have when delivered to the UK.
I don't understand Toyota's reasoning in all these design differences by country.
Back on topic. I've been driving a 2007 RAV4 for the last 10 years and love it. I test drove the Yaris before ordering and am satisfied I can make the change. The only concern I have is Power to Pass, and will have to see if the Yaris is OK or not.
The choice was between a Mazda CX3 and the Yaris, hope I made the right choice.

I've also noticed they play around with this (phone on steering wheel ):
(some have it as Denmark, some don't ?? ) seems to me it should be standard on the high end models

Last edited by JMJahn; 07-19-2016 at 05:03 AM.
JMJahn is offline   Reply With Quote