Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
TRD Sway Bar installed at dealer opinions..?

I have a 15% off coupon on all "Genuine Toyota Accessories from the Parts Department". I contacted a few dealerships and the best price I found was 25$ installation fee with the 15% off only applying to the 189$ part itself meaning 160.65$ for the part plus the installation totaling 185.65$ + 8% PA sales tax.

So a grand total including tax of 200.502$ installed by Toyota. Is this a good deal?

Obviously the part is very easy to install and the hardest part is jacking and removal of wheels (which is just to make the job easier).

In comparison to 166.25$ shipped TRD sway from ToyotaPartsPeople.com, is it worth paying 34.252$ extra to have installed by a dealership?

If you don't think its worth it, do you have any suggestions on anything else from Toyota that would be worth using this coupon on? (keep in mind, the coupon requires installation as well, and 200$ is at the max of what I want to spend as I have 59 payments left)

I really value the opinion and knowledge of the forum and thank y'all in advance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_sway_bar.jpg (59.1 KB, 212 views)
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Personally I would just buy it online. That's 30 extra bucks I could be spending on something else, for something I could do myself.
However, if you don't have the equipment or if you don't feel comfortable with it, then you could have the dealer install it. It's really a matter of if you think it's worth it, I mean if you order it and the shipping is an extra 20 dollars, i'd say go for it.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Just do it at the dealer when it comes to these things.

You got owned though, my dealer shows the price for things installed on their website.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

For reference, what is your dealer's website? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
if you know anyone that does car work buy the part and buy your buddy a 12 pack of brew to install it
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

My qualms are the affect on the factory warranty (i've rebuilt motors and don't have an issue with the actual installation of four bolts for the part), if I install it, the part has its 12 month/12k warranty but if in the unlikely event that my installation fails and causes another part to fail then I blow my factory warranty. If Toyota installs the part (and once again in the unlikely event) and it fails, its on them. I'm at 18k miles and this is the first car I've owned with a warranty so i really don't want to jeopardize it.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
yeah thats understandable
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sounds like a reasonable price for a TRD anti-sway bar installed at the Toyota dealership.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Just go to www.toyota.ca or toyota.com whichever and look up your dealer, then go to accessories for your vehicle and the prices on them should be with installation, my dealers site gives a little disclaimer saying all prices are with installation.

Note I live in Canada.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Wow, finally found what you were talking about from Don Valley North in Ontario. $335 installed. That Canadian $ but jeeze.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Wow, finally found what you were talking about from Don Valley North in Ontario. $335 installed. That Canadian $ but jeeze.
185.69 at my dealer!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Here's the link for what I found:

http://www.donvalleynorthtoyota.com/...hip/yarissedan

Where's the link for yours?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #13
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
185.69 at my dealer!
Ok dude, at current exchange rate, a part that costs 179.862606 CA$ is advertised with an install cost of only 5.827394cad?! Now maybe the charge less in canada for the trd rear sway bar, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on that but with another dealer in canada advertising 335$ installed, the difference is quite disparaging. Also, Dawson Creek, Prince George, Quesnel, Smithers, and Williams Lake Toyota dealers don't offer an accessories section with prices installed. They have a place to contact them with inquiries.

So my question to you, Kevin, is if you can't provide the name of "your dealer" then why lie about the price and bash and say that I got "owned" on the price that I was only quoted(I haven't paid anything yet)?

If you aren't going to be constructive or at least honest in the threads that I create, then pardon my language when I say Piss Off Troll!

Also I did go ahead and made a request with the parts department in Prince George and will report my findings tomorrow.

I am also so comfortable in the fact that you are making the price up, that I will make a formal apology and rescind all statements and my account if you are telling the truth. But obviously that's not going to happen as you would have provided your dealer's name when first asked instead of beating around the bush.

Haha
Old 05-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I checked with two local dealers when I got my sway bar and both wanted over $70 to install a TRD bar and did not want to give me any discount on the bar. I did not want to install it myself as I did not have any jack stands and did not want to crawl under my car, etc.

So, I ordered a bar from Garm and had a privately owned shop install it for $30.
$30 for a dealer to install it with a full warranty is a good deal IMO.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
My qualms are the affect on the factory warranty (i've rebuilt motors and don't have an issue with the actual installation of four bolts for the part), if I install it, the part has its 12 month/12k warranty but if in the unlikely event that my installation fails and causes another part to fail then I blow my factory warranty. If Toyota installs the part (and once again in the unlikely event) and it fails, its on them. I'm at 18k miles and this is the first car I've owned with a warranty so i really don't want to jeopardize it.
The only downside to the dealer is a little extra money.

But you are buying piece of mind. In addition to the part being covered by Toyota warranty when you have it installed by them, you are less likely to get hassled over any other rear suspension/axle/brake related issue if you needed service - none of that "oh your rear drums went bad because YOU installed this rear bar".
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

I have my recipt, Prince George BC Northern Toyota, when I bought mine I thought it would be more and it says please contact due to them just telling you at the dealership that you pay what it lists on the site.

They also get you to contact in smaller ares because the parts ned to be ordered they don't carry them.

I don't think I have ever trolled on YarisWorld why would I now, your ignorance appals me though I'll be leaving this thread.

By the way owned remark was to how bad your area would slay someone to install a bar. I hope you know some dealers are independent meaning the owner himself can give better deals on parts which would explain price differences, the owner here sits upstairs in an office.

I paid: 185.60$ installed
Website says: 310.50$
They're offering you 200$ installed, it seems like a good deal to take it no?

Last edited by .Kevin.; 05-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.
.Kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Just do it at the dealer when it comes to these things.

You got owned though, my dealer shows the price for things installed on their website.
Your ownage comment says that I got owned, that's why i took offense. I didn't mean to be a dic and should have thicker skin or w/e but I'm looking for constructive comments not pwnage comments for a .04$ (considering usdm to car 1:1 ratio, cad actually worth more atm) relative difference, which is nothing.

Did you buy the car new and had it installed as part of the original cost of car? Maybe they gave it to you less because of that?

I included all taxes , was tax included for yours?

Current list price for the bar is 189usd. I received many different quotes on the price ranging from 210installed not including taxes to 278 at the dealer where I live.

Legitimately to install the part it takes between a really fast professional 7 minutes to a person knowing a decent amount about cars and the ability to follow instructions 30 minutes to an hour. It's 4bolts or 12 if you take off wheels. Paying a dealership 20bucks to install isn't terrible?

As I mistaken about the applicable tax for where I'm having it done 6 instead of 8 so its 196.789 tax included. So my discount aside I'm paying 7.79$ on top of list price for install from Toyota dealership .
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
When I had a trd bar, I honestly installed it myself in 10 minutes. I didn't even take off the rear wheels. The trd bar bends enough that you can put one side of the flanges up and then pull the other side to the flanges and bolt it right up together. Easiest thing I've ever done and if you need to take it in, it's only 10 minutes to undo. If you want to spend an extra 20-30 bucks though for piece of mind then feel free. I've taken my car in for warranty work with it having a UR 23mm rear way bar, Tokico blue shocks/struts and Tein S springs. They never even asked about it except for how does it handle :)
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote