Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
maui

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback in white
Smile squealing noise at start up

Have been maintaining my girl friends Yaris the past year and a half...

2007 Yaris sedan automatic squeals at startup intermittently.
~82,000 miles and well maintained, has been doing this for several months now
at first only in the morning when cold but now can be even after warmed up

could it be a belt tensioner bearing, starter solenoid, pulley bearing?

any help greatly appreciated

thanks.

Maui
maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
That would be the serpentine belt. At 82K miles, it is due for a replacement. There is no tensioner, and bearings don't squeal.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
^+1
OP is it the original belt?
if it is that'll be the culprit

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
yep replace it. I cant stress enough even tho i have no mechanical experience with this car it almost seems like toyota made this car to be worked on (at least routine maintenance) just loosen up the alternator and slip it off. There is only one belt on the yaris and i think the 2007 has electronic power steering so you dont have to worry about a power steering pump either.

just get a belt from one of the larger manufactures, available at a local auto parts warehouse (autozone advanced auto parts, oreillys car quest ect) I am a big fan of dayco but gates is good also. Just make sure you tension the belt correctly and recheck the tension after the first few thousand miles after the break in period.

Good Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
maui

thanks for the quick reply

that's what I love about auto forums, you can get a quick answer
for a problem you don't have experience with

looks like I will be changing that belt this weekend!

thanks and aloha
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
emptysea
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
I bought a new belt for my Y reg yaris (2001), then realised the engine has to be removed to get the new belt on. The damn thing wraps around the driver side engine mount to feed the power steering. So annoying, was quoted £110 at a local garage... now I know why.
emptysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
homerj
Safety Engineer

Drives: 09 Fit Sport, 07 Yaris Sedan
I recently had a similar issue. It seemed odd because I had recently gotten a new belt. I thought it was the alternator or something, really wasn't sure. I had to take my car in for a more important issue and while at the dealer I decided to get it looked at. The dealer related it to aftermarket belts, which aparantly can be noisy. The dealer let me choose between refitting the belt and getting a new belt. I had them refit it and a lot of the noise is gone now, including the start up squeak. Btw several individuals told me driving around with the noisy belts shouldn't do any kind of mechanical damage.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hi im around 25k miles and have heard this a couple of times recently but not on a reg basis, should i consider changing it? thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
hi im around 25k miles and have heard this a couple of times recently but not on a reg basis, should i consider changing it? thanks!
have the tension checked, inspect the belt while the car is off to see if there are cracks( shouldnt be at 25k miles), have your dealer check the tension as it is under warranty still (if its less then 3 years old since delivery date)
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptysea View Post
I bought a new belt for my Y reg yaris (2001), then realised the engine has to be removed to get the new belt on. The damn thing wraps around the driver side engine mount to feed the power steering. So annoying, was quoted £110 at a local garage... now I know why.
No you don't have to remove the engine to do so. I have done it in 10 minutes myself, on my brother's Yaris and myself. You loose the alternator, and slide it off, and put the belt back on the pullies (make sure you have it on the right way on the pullies, u can draw a picture before taking it off, so u know how to put it back on), then bring the alternator back to where it was, and tighten the alternator bolts. You may need to adjust the alternator back and forth to get it to an appropriate spot.
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sedan View Post
have the tension checked, inspect the belt while the car is off to see if there are cracks( shouldnt be at 25k miles), have your dealer check the tension as it is under warranty still (if its less then 3 years old since delivery date)
well in fact me and my buddy did loosen it, then pulled the alternator (?) and re-tightened the bolt, he then sprayed some engine lube or something on it. it hasnt really made the noise as much, but maybe ill get it changed if its inevitable anyway. any brand of belt better to use? or just the standard toyota dealership what-ever-they-charge belt brand
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
well in fact me and my buddy did loosen it, then pulled the alternator (?) and re-tightened the bolt, he then sprayed some engine lube or something on it. it hasnt really made the noise as much, but maybe ill get it changed if its inevitable anyway. any brand of belt better to use? or just the standard toyota dealership what-ever-they-charge belt brand
I got an ac delco belt on mine, as seems to work fine. I've heard and seen for myself, that after I while (100miles or so) that you should re tighten the bolts, and bring back the alternator a little bit, as the belt loosens up a little bit.
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
yellow7112@gmail.com
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
Serpentine belt and squealing

2007 Toyota Yaris - I had my serpentine belt replaced last Saturday and a day later, the squealing started again. Now it seems to be worse. It squeals on start up, with or without the AC/Heater on. It continues to squal until the car gets a little warmed up and I've driven about a mile. Is this actually a serpentine belt issue or should I look into getting something else replaced. If it is the serpentine belt, I'll give the mechanic who replaced it a call.
yellow7112@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #14
maui

belt squeal issue

I also had this issue and a new belt does not resolve it.
I had to fabricate a belt tensioner with a couple of bolts and small piece of angle iron. It worked perfectly. Search the forum for exactly how to make it as
that is where I found it years ago. Good luck.