Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Video of my attempt to beat Motorweeks 1/4 mile.

Spent the morning of 4/8/2017 at Beaver Springs Dragway in Pennsylvania with my iQ. I managed to get 6 runs in before the CVT was too heat-soaked which resulted in my retirement to go home. Looks like I'll be needing a secondary small aluminum radiator before the CVT to aid in cooling.

PIn any case, I made my goal to beat Motorweeks best factory time of 17.4 @ 80mph (mostly). I managed a 17.348 @ 79.10mph with headwind gusts of 25mph (see weather reports for Beaver Springs 4/8/2017) and a gradual incline from the line to the traps of around 6-12 feet. Over all, I'm satisfied for a car with 94hp and 89tq @ 2140 (plus 250lb. 6'4" guy) and although a 16.999 would have been nice to see, I'm sure I'll manage it at some point in the future.

Managed to record a video against an Evolution X, that somehow only managed a 16.091 @ 97mph to my 17.348 @ 79mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUZ...ature=youtu.be


Any comments, feedback, questions, or otherwise are greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timeslip.jpg (95.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by MugenRep; 04-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L
 
Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 840
Well...not much you can do with driving a cvt

Now add boost
__________________
-Greg...the Exhaust Freak.

-'10 PW sedan 106whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension goodies
-'82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-'83 Malibu, lowrider
-97 Tercel coupe
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
91mustang
 
Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Smithfield, VA
Posts: 84
I give you a thumbs up for driving that IQ to a race track, and another for actually racing it. It is so small.

Id have to guess there is some way at launching it better for a quicker 60 ft time. I know nothing of CVT transmissions though.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Well...not much you can do with driving a cvt

Now add boost
Thank you for your comment and advice!

That's my plan! I am hooking up my CamCon cc-101 hopefully today or Sunday and trying to get the most out of 93 octane if possible (I know it's going to take a ton of time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91mustang View Post
I give you a thumbs up for driving that IQ to a race track, and another for actually racing it. It is so small.

Id have to guess there is some way at launching it better for a quicker 60 ft time. I know nothing of CVT transmissions though.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your comment and post! I know it's a ridiculous car to run. My goals are to achieve a 1/4 mile run and trap speed similar to an old 02-05 Civic Si (I've owned 2) around 15.8 @ 87-89mph. They weight 2750lbs and have 160 crank horsepower (around 134-145whp) and full bolt-on breathing mods puts them around 160-170whp

My friend who went is a friend of the track owner, and I have the track owner on video asking if I'm gay, because buying a car like the iQ raises questions. Oh boy.

The CVT does let you left "launch" but the internal torque converter (does it have one? I've not researched enough) limits it to 2200rpms. I tried using the E-brake and just couldn't get enough revs up to decrease the 60's from 2.7xx to something reasonable like a 2.3 or 2.4. If I can get the 60's down, I should be in the 16.999 or lower area. I'm also going to try to decrease the weight and add an inline cooler (it runs coolant into the CVT to cool and heat the CVT) between the 1NR-FE and the K41b CVT to stop it from heatsoaking so much.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Heading back to the drag strip on Friday. Hoping to pull a 16.9XX @ 80-81mph.

Things I've done since I last went.....

-Added Camcon cc-101 (unturned; using Power Enterprise setting for 1NZ-FE)
-1ZZ Throttle body
-2" to 3" to 2.5" intake tubing from stock airbox to 1ZZ throttle body
-Forward facing velocity stack coming out of airbox (hard to explain)
-DC Sports Exhaust
-Big 3 Grounding kit
-22.8" diameter tires versus 24.0" stock, for reduced gearing and better 0-60mph
-Volk 15x7 TE37 with Toyo T1R 195/45/15 combined weight is 25lbs per tire/wheel combo
-Removed rear seat
-DEI Thermal wrap on intake
-Lightly gutted primary and secondary catalytic convertors
-CVT aluminum cooler (if I can get installed on time)
-deflating tires to 20psi to decrease diameter lower than the 23.8" diameter, hopefuly closer to 22.4-22.6" to give a bit better gearing
-Going to detach exhaust and secondary catalytic convertor to see if it helps as well
-Nobody is going with me this time, so I'm also possibly removing passenger seat (not decided yet).

I feel or hope, that all of the above would allow me to drop into a 16 second slip of some sort. Wish me luck on Friday.

Last edited by MugenRep; 05-31-2017 at 02:41 PM.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
ern-diz
 
ern-diz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA all day
Posts: 2,525
Fingers crossed, bro!
__________________
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Fingers crossed, bro!
Results of the drag strip Friday night and only managed two runs. One was a bust because of my ECU issues (long story, but Dave and a couple others read my status), regardless this was my best run and very much the only good thing that happened today. Not too bad for a NA 1.33 1NR-FE with a CVT and 250lb. passenger.

I'm in the Left lane and was hoping for a lower timeslip as I thought my CamCon cc-101, gutted cats, new intake elbow to 1ZZ throttle body, removed rear seat, and lowered tire pressure to reduce tire diameter would account for more, but I was either incorrect or the ECU issues were creeping up during the run. My second run was much slower and resulted in *10* CELs (I've spliced my wiring harness to use the CamCon and coolant got on the wiring today).

Right lane is a 1999 Civic sedan 5-speed with a D16y6 (SOHC VTEC and 16 valves) with an eBay exhaust and eBay header. I talked to them after the run before my second run and seemed down to Earth and realistic about what they were driving.

I went by myself this time, so no video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timesliprotateresize.jpg (254.9 KB, 38 views)
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
ern-diz
 
ern-diz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA all day
Posts: 2,525
ECU issues and 10 cels - yikes.

That aside, you smoked Motorweek and hit your goal of 16.9XX, so congrats on that!
__________________
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
ECU issues and 10 cels - yikes.

That aside, you smoked Motorweek and hit your goal of 16.9XX, so congrats on that!
Very much appreciate your comments and support! The odd thing was I think whatever I did, I screwed my ECU with the CamCon cc-101. I couldn't even get my Toyota Tech Stream to connect and when I finally reset the battery I pulled all 10 codes. Either way, It seems like everything is back to normal now and the CVT cooler seems to have taken some heat out of the system. Once I get a Wideband o2 sensor, I'll be able to hopefully lean out the tune with the CamCon cc-101 and drop a bit lower.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
ern-diz
 
ern-diz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CA all day
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
Very much appreciate your comments and support! The odd thing was I think whatever I did, I screwed my ECU with the CamCon cc-101. I couldn't even get my Toyota Tech Stream to connect and when I finally reset the battery I pulled all 10 codes. Either way, It seems like everything is back to normal now and the CVT cooler seems to have taken some heat out of the system. Once I get a Wideband o2 sensor, I'll be able to hopefully lean out the tune with the CamCon cc-101 and drop a bit lower.
My pleasure, and thank you. Following your progress has been very enjoyable.
__________________
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Jason@SportsCar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Coto de Caza
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
-deflating tires to 20psi to decrease diameter lower than the 23.8" diameter, hopefuly closer to 22.4-22.6" to give a bit better gearing
It doesn't work like that. Just because you see the weight of the car squishing the tire does not mean you made it smaller. Centrifugal force is going to pull the tire out to its engineered diameter. The only reason to lower pressures is to try and gain traction on the launch, likely not much of an issue at your power level. If anything you are likely hurting your MPH because you are dragging an under inflated tire all the way down the track. Better option, keep adding air until you cant launch, it will offer less rolling resistance.
__________________
2005-2008 SCCA Solo BS National Champion
2017 SCCA H Prod National Champion
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
It doesn't work like that. Just because you see the weight of the car squishing the tire does not mean you made it smaller. Centrifugal force is going to pull the tire out to its engineered diameter. The only reason to lower pressures is to try and gain traction on the launch, likely not much of an issue at your power level. If anything you are likely hurting your MPH because you are dragging an under inflated tire all the way down the track. Better option, keep adding air until you cant launch, it will offer less rolling resistance.
Awesome!!! Thank you! I did not realize that the extra skacj would hurt the traps at the end of the 1/4 mile. Very much appreciated! I'll be maximizing the pressure to the point of loss of traction the next I go in that case.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
justanotherdrunk
sober 25 years
 
justanotherdrunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 SE
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 420
i "liked" your youtube video
justanotherdrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #14
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher
 
MugenRep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 iQ
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
i "liked" your youtube video
Thank you very much! I'm hoping the next I go, I can use Jasons suggestions and drop into a 16.8 or lower and hoping for a trap speed of 88mph or so (yea, I know 4 more mph is a lot).

I may be going with ga16de header (measurements except primaries 2&3 if I remember correctly line up with the 1NR-FE. I wouldn't mind a DIY built turbo kit (using a G13B turbo manifold and rewelding primaries 1&4) given time and the 87 Turbo Coupe IHI I have, but the iQ K41B CVT is already foaming and overheating, so I don't think I need anymore unnecessary heat under the hood. I think I'll be going for something with a more linear powerband (yes I know CVTs don't need it), or something with less heat and less chance of detonation on my 11.5:1 compression.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #15
Type-Y
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
Spent the morning of 4/8/2017 at Beaver Springs Dragway in Pennsylvania with my iQ. I managed to get 6 runs in before the CVT was too heat-soaked which resulted in my retirement to go home. Looks like I'll be needing a secondary small aluminum radiator before the CVT to aid in cooling.

PIn any case, I made my goal to beat Motorweeks best factory time of 17.4 @ 80mph (mostly). I managed a 17.348 @ 79.10mph with headwind gusts of 25mph (see weather reports for Beaver Springs 4/8/2017) and a gradual incline from the line to the traps of around 6-12 feet. Over all, I'm satisfied for a car with 94hp and 89tq @ 2140 (plus 250lb. 6'4" guy) and although a 16.999 would have been nice to see, I'm sure I'll manage it at some point in the future.

Managed to record a video against an Evolution X, that somehow only managed a 16.091 @ 97mph to my 17.348 @ 79mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUZ...ature=youtu.be


Any comments, feedback, questions, or otherwise are greatly appreciated!!!
Nice, man. Think about it this way, that 17.348 is late 70's camaro/firebird territory

I for one, would love to see an iQ beat a camaro.... (and I used to have a 1973 T/A)
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.