Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
2012 Toyota/Scion iQ ELECTRIC - 65 mile range

Quote:
Toyota will show a fully-electric IQ prototype at the Geneva Motor Show on March 1, offering an extremely compact four-seater with a range of 65 miles. The prototype is based on the current IQ model and features a single electric motor driving the front wheels, powered by a newly developed, flat and compact lithium-ion battery which is located beneath the floor without compromising loadspace or passenger accommodation. The drivetrain adapted from Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive technology. The EV prototype is being put through testing on European roads this year, with a potential market introduction through a leasing program in 2012. Toyota has already announced its plans to bring the car to market in the USA and is also investigating its viability in other regions.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
If it ever gets to the US, I will seriously be considering trading the Yaris for one.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
This will be interesting to watch. Smart was not able to capitalize on the A-segment in the U.S. (or anywhere else, frankly). We'll see if Toyota can do it with its iQ line (electric or gas).

For me, no manual trans = no purchasing.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
p123456789

Drives: 07 lb jeep tj
Does anyone know if the gas iq is coming? I see it listed on the scion website but you never know. The smart car makes no sense to me a friend at work only averages 38mpg and its a very unstable feeling car plus with its makeshift dsg trans it makes me question its reliability.
p123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by p123456789 View Post
Does anyone know if the gas iq is coming? I see it listed on the scion website but you never know. The smart car makes no sense to me a friend at work only averages 38mpg and its a very unstable feeling car plus with its makeshift dsg trans it makes me question its reliability.
Toyota has made it clear that it's coming as the Scion iQ. It seems like it keeps being delayed but should be here soon.

Yeah, the Smart is a failure but the iQ is more likely to succeed. The Smart makes a few critical mistakes. It only seats two with virtually no cargo space and it gets piss poor gas mileage for a motorcycle with a roof. And it only takes premium fuel, lol. The iQ seats 3+1 with cargo space and will get better mileage than the Smart and runs on regular. And its bigger size gives it better road manners and it is safer. And, it looks a lot better.

iQ FTW.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
If it ever gets to the US, I will seriously be considering trading the Yaris for one.
why trade it in??? it's not worth what you gonna get for it. may as well keep it till it dies...that's what my momma says bout mine any way.

but, i had a 4 year loan, and a 3k trade in, and my note's less than 200/mo. i spend 55/mo on full coverage insurance. i mean...come on, less than total cost of 300/mo and you're good for anything. when it's paid off my insurance will be like 20/mo. it's jsut not worth it.

plus, what if you wanna go on a road trip??? you still got a gas car. and you dont have to stop every hour or so for a charge.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Undead post FOR THE UPDATE.....

Don't have an electric and they only ever offered 100 EV iQs, all of which were only offered to the West Coast and I've personally never seen any for sale, but I don't go looking for them either. I love the front and rear bumpers on the EV though.

My iQ has been fantastic and I've gotten a lot of info from this exact forum of what will and won't work between the Yaris and the iQ. For example, the Yaris and iQ share crank pulley bolts, basic aftermarket crank pulley if AC is not needed, rear struts, aftermarket rear sway bar, 1ZZ throttle body, etc. Definitely some key differences and some idiosyncrasies with the iQ chassis because of it's size and CVT.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
i like the iq styling

tried unsuccessfully to fit in one at the dealer

just not designed for a 6-1 185 lb boy like me

justanotherdrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
i like the iq styling

tried unsuccessfully to fit in one at the dealer

just not designed for a 6-1 185 lb boy like me

Obviously opinions are subjective and I DID lower my seats and replace them with Recaro SR4 seats from a 30th Anniversary Civic Type R, but I fit in fine at 6'4" and 239lbs with a moonroof installed. With stock seats, I'd brush my head on the moonroof however and found it annoying enough to use the old seats out of my USDM Ep3 in the iQ.

**WARNING**

Grown man on car, lounging pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Me and my iQ.JPG (108.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg iq3.JPG (137.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg iq4.JPG (107.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #10
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Ha, awesome. At 6' 4", you're nearly as long as the car itself. I could Google it, but I'm assuming the iQ is shorter than any gen Yaris, right?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
now that you mentioned it i remember clearer

the problem was the idiot designers put the seats way too high in the vehicle

like only midgets would drive it

if they had been mounted lower (and there was plenty of room inside) the fit wouldve been ok

remember being disgusted about that

seems you found the solution
justanotherdrunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
The car looks great! Very nice wheels. I like the Japanese licence plate. I'd do rising sun mirror covers.

Good job installing those Recaro seats. The shifter looks so tall.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #13
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I like smaller cars, but I think the Yaris or perhaps something the size/build of the Aygo would be as small as I would go. I would definitely consider purchasing a Toyota-made hybrid if all the ones in the U.S. weren't so damn ugly and stupid looking (Every U.S. Prius ever released falls into that category). I would consider purchasing a low-mileage 2017 Lexus CT2000h in 2020-2021 (the last model year for the CT200h is 2017) - and it is on my short list, along with another Yaris SE or the iM. It will be a tough call when the time finally rolls around. Shame that Toyota doesn't have the Yaris hybrid here in the U.S. instead of that homely, misshapen Prius-C.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Shame that Toyota doesn't have the Yaris hybrid here in the U.S. instead of that homely, misshapen Prius-C.
Absolutely agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris-hybrid-live-1_653.jpg (91.7 KB, 34 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #15
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Ha, awesome. At 6' 4", you're nearly as long as the car itself. I could Google it, but I'm assuming the iQ is shorter than any gen Yaris, right?
Correct. The iQ is 120.1" long or just an inch over 10 feet and yet it's still about a foot longer than the Smart. It has a TINY 78.7" wheelbase, making bumps feel odd. It does have a issues, but it is quite fun and economical (avg 35-38mpg) to drive on a daily basis despite the lack of horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
now that you mentioned it i remember clearer

the problem was the idiot designers put the seats way too high in the vehicle

like only midgets would drive it

if they had been mounted lower (and there was plenty of room inside) the fit wouldve been ok

remember being disgusted about that

seems you found the solution
Yea, not quite sure what they were thinking by only offering the standard seat height in the US iQ and an adjustable seat height in the EU and Japan. You'd think the fact average US citizens height has went up would have convinced them otherwise. I actually also have an OLD ancient Recaro bucket but it mounts too low even for somebody of my height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
The car looks great! Very nice wheels. I like the Japanese licence plate. I'd do rising sun mirror covers.

Good job installing those Recaro seats. The shifter looks so tall.
Thank you!! I've had these wheels for over a decade now. First on my Honda Ep3 and now on the iQ. I just can't part with them and I love the fact the Toyo T1R tires and Volk TE37 combo only comes in at 25 lbs wheel/tire combo (16 lb tires and 9 lb rims).

The plate came from a friend that was stationed in Saitama prefecture for the Air Force and brought it back for me.

Thank you on the seats too. It wasn't as easy as I had thought it was going to be, but it went in without a hitch once I put some elbow grease in. I love the seats, but still with they had a little more side bolstering. If I had the money or could do it over again, the MKIV R32 Konig seats are the best adjustable seats I've ever sat in, albeit that they weigh a ton and cost a ton used.

The shifter is M8 x 1.25 and I hate auto or manual shifters that aren't easily reached, so I added a 3" shifter extension and a Razo Formula shift knob to the set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I like smaller cars, but I think the Yaris or perhaps something the size/build of the Aygo would be as small as I would go. I would definitely consider purchasing a Toyota-made hybrid if all the ones in the U.S. weren't so damn ugly and stupid looking (Every U.S. Prius ever released falls into that category). I would consider purchasing a low-mileage 2017 Lexus CT2000h in 2020-2021 (the last model year for the CT200h is 2017) - and it is on my short list, along with another Yaris SE or the iM. It will be a tough call when the time finally rolls around. Shame that Toyota doesn't have the Yaris hybrid here in the U.S. instead of that homely, misshapen Prius-C.
It is quite small. I enjoy light weight and small cars more than heavier more torque oriented cars. I think of torque as a bandaid to lots of chassis weight. I'd prefer a momentum car any day of the week. I'd love a CT200h, but to me they lack a "soul" or any sort of quirks as do most other Lexus models IMO. I did look at the Prius C, but it was impractically slower than the iQ. There were no SE Yari near me either when I was looking, so that ruled that out as well. If I were to jump on hybrid/EV cars these days, I'd hands down jump on a used BMW i3 as they're $20k and below with a Range Extender now. :D