Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
AylaNamiz

Drives: 2010 5D Liftback
Sounds like something is moving in trunk

I just purchased a 2010 5D Liftback. I had it inspected before I bought it and it passed with flying colors, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a mechanical issue or anything like that. But when I stop and go at low speeds or make sharp turns, it sounds like something is moving around in the trunk. I was sure it was the jack just moving around, so I removed it and drove it around the block. It did the same thing. There was absolutely nothing in the car that could have been moving around, but that's exactly what it sounds like: something metal moving around back there. Anyone else have this problem.

Oh, and I'm sorry if this is categorizes wrongly at all. Wasn't totally sure where to post.

Thanks.
AylaNamiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Lift up the shelf in the back (under the cargo mat, if you have one). There are two compartments, one on either side. Probably something is rolling around in one of those, OR if you look in the bottom of each compartment there is a little locking mechanism that holds them in place. Make sure that is secure.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Also, are you shure that there is not something under the spare tire causing the rattle?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
AylaNamiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
Lift up the shelf in the back (under the cargo mat, if you have one). There are two compartments, one on either side. Probably something is rolling around in one of those, OR if you look in the bottom of each compartment there is a little locking mechanism that holds them in place. Make sure that is secure.
I have done exactly that and I still hear the noise, unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
AylaNamiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Also, are you shure that there is not something under the spare tire causing the rattle?
How would I go about checking under the tire?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Remove it.

Also, since sounds can seem to come from an area far removed from actual souce, a couple other suggestions.

- something could be under the rear seat.
- is the third seatbelt secure in the headliner mount, or dangling down a bit?
- is the latching mechanism for the third seatbelt sitting visible on top of the cushion, or has it tucked down out of sight?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
AylaNamiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Remove it.

Also, since sounds can seem to come from an area far removed from actual souce, a couple other suggestions.

- something could be under the rear seat.
- is the third seatbelt secure in the headliner mount, or dangling down a bit?
- is the latching mechanism for the third seatbelt sitting visible on top of the cushion, or has it tucked down out of sight?
I think the latching mechanism is visible. I will check all of these things and hopefully one of them is the source. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
My first thought as well.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
AylaNamiz

I have tried all of these things. I actually removed the tire and everything in the trunk area and drove around and still heard the noise. It seems like it is coming from inside the back bumper somehow, like something is loose and sliding around in there. Anyone know what may have come loose?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Jlager

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5 door
Maybe have someone else stand outside the car and listen for the noise while you slowly drive by. It might be easier for them to hear where it's coming from.
Jlager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
AylaNamiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlager View Post
Maybe have someone else stand outside the car and listen for the noise while you slowly drive by. It might be easier for them to hear where it's coming from.
I did that and also had someone sit in the back with the seats down while I drove around. Sounded like it was coming from the left of the bumper.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AylaNamiz View Post
I have tried all of these things. I actually removed the tire and everything in the trunk area and drove around and still heard the noise. It seems like it is coming from inside the back bumper somehow, like something is loose and sliding around in there. Anyone know what may have come loose?
Did you by any chance swap your rear lights? I did and I lost a screw which is currently inside the bumper (and has been for at least a couple of years ).
Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
AylaNamiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Did you by any chance swap your rear lights? I did and I lost a screw which is currently inside the bumper (and has been for at least a couple of years ).
I just bought the car, so maybe the previous owner did that because it definitely sounds like it is coming from inside the bumper. Dang.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Rammy

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Same thing happens to me. But except I have a 07 sedan. Its only whenever I turn and at random times. It sometimes sounds like something popped. Im not sure if any of you have heard the sound of metal popping back out after it was bent, but that's how mine sounds. Its getting annoying and I have pulled out the tire, and checked everything under the matt. I sat in the back while someone else drove it and it sounds like it is coming from the rear right corner of the rear bumper or even the rear right tire or axle itself. Not sure what it is. I do have 2 12" subs in there but I really really doubt thats it as it sounds like its coming from the outside, or not anywhere close to the subs at least.
Rammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
My muffler moves (and makes a noise) the first time I go around a corner in the morning. I assume as it cools down and shrinks it wants to be in a different spot. Grab your tailpipe and wiggle it. See how much it moves.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #16
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
My muffler moves (and makes a noise) the first time I go around a corner in the morning. I assume as it cools down and shrinks it wants to be in a different spot. Grab your tailpipe and wiggle it. See how much it moves.
"Grab your tailpipe and wiggle it. See how much it moves"

I think you have lyrics to the next big hit!!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
"Grab your tailpipe and wiggle it. See how much it moves"

I think you have lyrics to the next big hit!!
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I had a noise like that, turned out to be the rear seat belt, it was swinging about and tapping on the panel, i just had to slide it back into the clip on the panel.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moving, noise, sound, trunk