Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Who actually runs this forum?

Been on this forum since back in 06' when I first got my Yaris. I believe YarisBeuller was the member that started the forum? Just curious who's actually running the site now that most of the original members are gone. Would hate to see this place disappear one day
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
We've got one mod, Kimona, that is regularly active. There's one or two others, but none of them actively close threads, move threads, etc. From what they've shared, they are very limited to what they can actually do on the site. YarisBeuller makes an extremely rare appearance here and there and most of the mods are offline. To some degree, we're sort of out at sea with no captain, but there is a base of active users and a wealth of information to be had.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
We've got one mod, Kimona, that is regularly active. There's one or two others, but none of them actively close threads, move threads, etc. From what they've shared, they are very limited to what they can actually do on the site. YarisBeuller makes an extremely rare appearance here and there and most of the mods are offline. To some degree, we're sort of out at sea with no captain, but there is a base of active users and a wealth of information to be had.

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I was just thinking about the microimage forum and all the information that was lost when it shut down. Don't want the same thing to happen here is all. I know it costs money to keep these forums up so I was just curious who's funding this thing. Maybe donate to the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post

lmao that's just about the best damn thing I've seen all day
Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
ern-diz

LOL!

Inmates definitely running the asylum.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
The government
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Ahhhhh pirates jokes...well played Kaotic, we'll played.

Highlight of my night
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb

...might be dating myself with this one.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Glad I made a few of you guys chuckle.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Thanks for bringing this up. I've only been here since 2016, but I truly enjoy the community and resources of this forum. Now that I've heard about the board of pirates getting scarce, I understand why I never got any tech support when I first tried registering and never received the activation link (apparently our local internet provider, Videotron, similar to Comcast, which also provides me with my email address, couldn't get through the activation email, I had to sign up using another email provider).

I don't know how the forum was or went through since its creation, but from everything I've seen so far, the members played a lot into keeping us afloat. I've always wondered who ran the forum, and now that ern mentioned it, Kimona is the only active moderator I've seen so far. Didn't the forums used to have sponsored areas and paid advertisement management ?

Either way, thanks to all of you who keep it nice and clean, thanks Kimona for keeping up to the responsibilities of moderator and if you could tell us more about who else sails the Yarrrris, that'd be cool.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. I've only been here since 2016, but I truly enjoy the community and resources of this forum. Now that I've heard about the board of pirates getting scarce, I understand why I never got any tech support when I first tried registering and never received the activation link (apparently our local internet provider, Videotron, similar to Comcast, which also provides me with my email address, couldn't get through the activation email, I had to sign up using another email provider).

I don't know how the forum was or went through since its creation, but from everything I've seen so far, the members played a lot into keeping us afloat. I've always wondered who ran the forum, and now that ern mentioned it, Kimona is the only active moderator I've seen so far. Didn't the forums used to have sponsored areas and paid advertisement management ?

Either way, thanks to all of you who keep it nice and clean, thanks Kimona for keeping up to the responsibilities of moderator and if you could tell us more about who else sails the Yarrrris, that'd be cool.
Back in 06-09 when I was more active on here, this place was buzzing with activity. There were tons of people on here with a lot of projects going on. As you said, there were quite a few vendors on here as well and paid advertisements/sponsors on the site. I think the main downfall here is that the Yaris never caught on amongst the tuner crowd. Just not much you can do with the little 1.5 for reasonable money. Also weren't a lot of people willing to invest in R&D due to costs and such. The 2zr swap is still the best thing I've seen done on this car from a cost/reward standpoint. Still would like to attempt a 2az swap some day but I have my MR2 that's been a project since 04 to finish and my Yaris is my daily runt so that likely won't happen any time soon.

A lot of members kind of "upgraded" and left the forum slowly. I know a few guys jumped to the FRS when it came out. I myself debated it but I'm the kind of person that gets attached to my stuff so...my Yaris isn't going anywhere for a long time. Wish we knew who is paying the bill for this place so we could get a donation setup to contribute.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Back in 06-09 when I was more active on here, this place was buzzing with activity. There were tons of people on here with a lot of projects going on. As you said, there were quite a few vendors on here as well and paid advertisements/sponsors on the site. I think the main downfall here is that the Yaris never caught on amongst the tuner crowd. Just not much you can do with the little 1.5 for reasonable money. Also weren't a lot of people willing to invest in R&D due to costs and such. The 2zr swap is still the best thing I've seen done on this car from a cost/reward standpoint. Still would like to attempt a 2az swap some day but I have my MR2 that's been a project since 04 to finish and my Yaris is my daily runt so that likely won't happen any time soon.

A lot of members kind of "upgraded" and left the forum slowly. I know a few guys jumped to the FRS when it came out. I myself debated it but I'm the kind of person that gets attached to my stuff so...my Yaris isn't going anywhere for a long time. Wish we knew who is paying the bill for this place so we could get a donation setup to contribute.
It's still YarisBueller. If you search for posts by him, you can find the last time he was here. If memory serves, I think his last posts were about how he continues to keep the site afloat out of his own pocket, just because. No real monetization happening, if I remember correctly.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I think the biggest downfall to the Yaris being popular with the tuner crowd isn't so much the 1nz, but the lack of aftermarket tunability of the 1nz, the ecu is too secure.

I love the Yaris with the 2zr and with its light weight is a blast to drive and has a wide range for error when pushing a bit too hard or not balancing the car properly using the throttle/brake. But if I new when I bought it how much i would end up modifying my car mostly for performance, I would likely have went Honda.

Not because they're suoerior in anyway, simply because
of more aftermarket support and tunability options even for us who have e tests.

This is by far one of the best forums for support (for a non tuner car) and knowledge I have come across. It also has the least amount of manchildren who constantly need to compare d*ck lengths through a compter screen. Seriously, the crap I've had to read through when skimming forums for info on other cars is unbelievable. YW tends to stay well away from that.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
heeroyuy01195

Thanks for the heads up ern, I'll see if I can get a message to him or something to see how the site's looking in the future.

I completely agree with you montague, there is definitely a lack of aftermarket support for the car in the states. Still think its largely a cost vs. reward situation here though. If there were more people interested in getting one of these little cars to wake up and companies saw a money making opportunity, stuff would get done.

Anyway, like you said, this is definitely one of the more...mature? forums I've come across. Everyone here seems to want to help and see each other succeed in their endeavors. Your build thread for the 2zr swap was super helpful with research and I greatly appreciate that you documented it.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Hopefully I get on tha swap to soon

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #16
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Ooo arr. Pirates we be.

You guys crack me up. haha

It would be a shame if this place just disappeared. Its very useful for information. I don't even want to mod my Yaris. Only mods i have is i added an auxiliary jack for my stereo. I might do alloy wheels instead of steel rims and some sound proofing in the cabin. I'm very happy with the car in its stock configuration. I just want to keep my little turd running, its so cheap and comfortable to drive.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #17
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I was searching for wheels on the Honda forums... and those Honda members can be ruthless with their comments.

Yarisworld is a full of useful information... and really quite a pleasant place to hang out.

I've been here for 10 years and don't know any more than you guys/gals about the future of our forum. Just hope yarisworld is around for a good long time.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
I once signed up on pirate4x4. Never again.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote