Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Bob Lutz had an article about this, more angled towards why full size trucks where starting to encroach 100k for top of the line rigs and to summarize

because people will pay for it

that's why. As long as there's money to be made by buying cars at higher and higher prices, companies will keep selling them, we already know companies can produce and sell stuff for under 20k and you take a "hit" on commodities, but they aren't really hits. 10 years ago no one had back up cameras, 20 years ago multiport injection was still brand new and relatively wonky.
technology has grown exponentially since then (30 years ago was almost the 90s. and we still had carburetors back then) but as such prices kept creeping up because sales where to be had

UNTIL RECENTLY
as we are seeing companies like Ford duck out of certain segments because it's a wash.

id love to be part of Subaru right now...

If you are so inclined follow the link to the article about the 100k dollar truck
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...up-came-to-be/
Old 09-16-2018, 03:06 AM   #20
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
New cars are expensive, I agree. However, knowing you are the first owner, as well as knowing every fuel up was made with quality gasoline, and periodic maintenance appointments were made with qualified mechanics, have provided me with peace of mind over the years.

I also receive the offers in the mail about buying my car and paying less per month than I do now... blah, blah... All that is just generic marketing from corporate. Ignore it and keep enjoying your Yaris.

My dealership knows I service both my Toyota vehicles with them as scheduled. I even drop by every few weeks to drink coffee and even test drive a vehicle for fun. They are really nice folks at Franklin Toyota.

If it is allowed, here is their website: https://www.franklintoyota.com/

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #21
2008RedHatch

Drives: 2018 Yaris LE liftback, 2020
Buyers have been complaining about new car prices since the 70's/80's recessions. Once $10,000 was considered "too high"!.

Main reason costs are up is demands from wealthier buyers. They want the "latest and greatest" features, and stripped new cars with only a CD player [once a luxury] don't sell well. Why buy a stripped one for same price as well equipped used one?
2008RedHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #22
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
that therein is the fallacy of modern car buying prices

you CAN buy a striped out for around 15k, that will get you a warrenty, good gas milage, a dry safe place to operate, and will last a while

consumerism dictates people don't WANT that, which is why we are seeing a rise in sport compact UV's and CUV's (which are just lifted hatchbacks, prove me wrong) and they start from 20-40k depending which.

like I mentioned Lutz wrote an article about the 100,000 dollar pickup truck and why it exists

I think its just consumer selfish intent saying I Deserve to have a car that farts whatever scent I want so i will pay the 50k cost over 8 years and then complain about the cost of cars.

i think I'm more bitter about the lack of sporty wagons...

Link takes you to an article I wrote about car ownership

https://wheelwell.com/posts/7s4e/

Last edited by Runethecursed; 09-21-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
sherlockholmes

Drives: Yaris 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
The funniest part is that i got a call today from a dealer saying theyll cut me a cash check for my car, I said, uhh are you sure? its.. highly specialized and the woman was like. yes we saw your ad and it seems fun.

took it down there

they wouldnt buy it. couldnt offer me even scrap pricing on it. I packed up and said dont call me again.
From where I live, that 09 Yaris price is above 8k. Yes, dollars.
sherlockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #24
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
the worst thing about a new car is the tax and the plates! i think new plates and tax ran me like +$600 in 02. (45 days after dropping thousands down payment)
Try paying 12% on a new car up here!