Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
AC blower motor flaking out

My son's 08 Yaris blower motor stopped so I beat it and it started back up.

A few days later it has stopped again. So my question is: Can I lube or clean this thing? I took it out to look at it. so does the fan come off?

I noticed on e-bay we could get a replacement but it seems premature for it to fail.

Thanks for your input. Best regards.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you look at the bottom of the blower housing there are a couple of screws that mount the black part (which is the blower fan) to the bottom of the housing. You can remove those screws and pull it out, but it is not designed to be disassembled and lubricated. Replacing it is going to be your best option.

Do you have a cabin air filter installed, as not having one could definitely lead to premature failure of the blower motor?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
See what happens

I took the blower out and blew out some of the dust. I noticed a screw at the bottom of the blower motor, which I took out. Shot some WD40 in the hole which seems to be right in to the motor and replaced screw. Shot some more WD40 around the fan axle. I then wiped it off and waited a few minutes. I left it out and plugged it in and ran it a few minutes and it seemed OK. Wiped it off again, replaced and we will see how it goes but it is working.

Note, never never shoot WD 40 in to a hot /live electrical device as the propellant is flammable. I am sure the WD 40 itself is flammable too so that is why I wiped off as much as I could.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
I took the blower out and blew out some of the dust. I noticed a screw at the bottom of the blower motor, which I took out. Shot some WD40 in the hole which seems to be right in to the motor and replaced screw. Shot some more WD40 around the fan axle. I then wiped it off and waited a few minutes. I left it out and plugged it in and ran it a few minutes and it seemed OK. Wiped it off again, replaced and we will see how it goes but it is working.

Note, never never shoot WD 40 in to a hot /live electrical device as the propellant is flammable. I am sure the WD 40 itself is flammable too so that is why I wiped off as much as I could.
That's great that lubricating it helped. For future reference WD40 should not be used on anything plastic. You should use a silicone lubricant when plastic is involved.