Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Crazy Question of the day.

Could any small displacement supercharger be used on a 1NZ? I'm looking at the one on a Mini-cooper as well as the one on a 4cyl Benz. The SC12 and SC14 from the MR2 and Previa have also caught my eye. Is it bad to turn a supercharger too slow? If I went with one that was too big but turned it slower is what I mean. I have access to a machine shop so pulleys aren't an issue. I know I could get a used Blitz for around 2k but wheres the fun in that.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
What intake manifold would you use? The main part of the Blitz kit is that piece, besides the blower.

That's the main challenge, and lining up the pulley. The slower it turns, the less boost it makes, obviously.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
07stlYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
What intake manifold would you use? The main part of the Blitz kit is that piece, besides the blower.

That's the main challenge, and lining up the pulley. The slower it turns, the less boost it makes, obviously.
True with regards to the manifold but I managed to shoehorn a 22R into my '80 Vanagon. I put a highly modified Chevy 2-core radiator on the roof along with a t25 turbo and a Holley 750 to pull through. Just looking to try something a little different. The pulley alignment is about the only thing i'll have to work especially hard to get right.

In my opinion, fabrication is the most satisfying part of building a cool car. Any wrench turner can bolt on a bunch of store bought parts but it takes skill and imagination to put together a 290whp (powered by Toyota) VW Vanagon. I just like one-offs. There's nothing like popping the hood on an otherwise normal looking car and seeing a custom setup that only exists right there.

I'm guessing the simple math would be supercharger displacement per revolution should be factored to just exceed (or greatly exceed) the engine displacement for every 2 revolutions (1:2 would be basically putting the engine at 0 vac and 0 boost from what I gather). Just putting all this out here so I can get some meaningful commentary.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I thought I was providing meaningful commentary -- did NOT mean to put you off the project, in case it sounded that way.

I can't fabricate something like an intake manifold myself, so for me that would be a challenge. If anyone likes pushing this car beyond it's assumed limits, it's me, and I support you doing it 100%.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
07stlYaris

Not at all.

Your advice is golden. I just wanted to let you know that I'm a fabricator at heart and if I manage to tear up this engine, I'll just keep trying with another off eBay for $500. I'm not made of money which is why I bought a Yaris but I do tell my wife on a weekly basis that playing with cars is a lot better than gambling or a good drinking habit. What I have to show for my spending is a lot better than a handful of keno tickets or a trashcan full of empties. I can't tell you how many heads I've managed to push off my 22R due to boost. I pushed that sucker to 28 pounds one time just to see if the bottom end could take it and it did but the head just can't. Anyway, I'm going to boost this sucker one way or the other. Since supercharging just looks cooler from the hood, that's what I'm going to try. I'll probably go with a turbo if I fail miserably. I'll try to update either way but if my pride gets in the way I'll only tell the good parts.

Quick edit: what's anyone's opinion of the bottom end and head. (bone stock) Is it good to 6psi? 8psi? 10psi?

Last edited by 07stlYaris; 04-04-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: A question.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Although I'm not a fan of centrifugal type superchargers, that may be the way to go for custom fabrication. All you have to come up with is a nice bracket really, and possibly a shaft to place the unit on the other side of the motor. Plumbing it to the throttle body would be easy... No need for custom manifold.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

There are a few people running stock head and motor at 10psi and that seems to be ok. I ran 8psi for about nine months with no apparent damage either.

Maybe more is ok, but I think the consensus is that 10psi is ok -- meaning no one knows just how long you can run it like that without at least some rods.

The stock rods are pencils!