Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
AEM FIC to replace CamCon cc101 ??

Ok I think some of you knew that I got the blitz supercharger from Jay .... it comes with a fixed pulley, a larger injector and the camcon .

long story short.... I let a shop to install the whole thing... and this morning they said " you need to get the aem fic to replace the camcon because of that larger injector" ....they also say that on certain high rpm, it's run too rich ... if you want to use the camcon, it may have the posibility to blow your engine "

that is scary shiiet man !! it worry me ....but at the end, I decided to get the AEM ..... is that a good decision ???

HELLLPPP guys
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
emanage?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
vten

Yeah I'm kinda stuck with the AEM fic since they have it in stock and I really want to get my car back ASAP ....been in their shop for over a week for the blitz supercharger install .

It's a high end shop , theyre dealing with high end car and the first TT Lamborghini LP670-SV in matte white !
Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
I'm pretty sure they got you to buy the fic from them cause I ran the camcon for almost a year with perfect air/fuel ratios and no problems
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
vten

Yup .. I think they need to make $$ somewhat ... I told them that you had tha kit for a while without any problem ... And they pulled their magic line " well we can install it but u have to sign a waiver if they're not responsible with the engine after the install " and I was like "Shiiet !! I'll get those AEM "
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
this morning they said "you need to get the aem fic to replace the camcon because of that larger injector" ....they also say that on certain high rpm, it's run too rich ...
So the only specific tuning issue posted here is richness at certain high rpm's? And the claim is that the CamCon can't pull fuel at those times?

Did they give any more detail? I hate shops that say "you need this" but won't explain exactly why, along with selling certain parts just because that's what they have on hand.

Re-wiring new management when the old one worked for Jay... ouch.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
Yup .. I think they need to make $$ somewhat ... I told them that you had tha kit for a while without any problem ... And they pulled their magic line " well we can install it but u have to sign a waiver if they're not responsible with the engine after the install " and I was like "Shiiet !! I'll get those AEM "
They need to learn how to tune then. We used the CamCon for VVTi and fuel adjustment. It wont let you play with timing or the rev limiter, but it will do what you need. The unit they are trying to sell you wont control VVTi, you would need to step up to something like the EMS Series 2 for that.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
vten

Man this is bs!!! It the aem cant control the vvti then what's the point They sell it to me then ??wish someone with knowledge can argue with them ... For now I'm just a sitting duck .... Arrgghhh
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
vten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

Re-wiring new management when the old one worked for Jay... ouch.

I know right ..... the moolah I spent there I can use toward some goodies from you .....oh well ... I need to work 8 days a week now to recover the money Ive been spending LOL
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
The fact that they're saying you're running too rich but can't remove fuel with the camcon shows that they have no idea how to use the thing...

If I were you I'd go elsewhere. The FIC is great but there's no reason to use it in place of a completely viable alternative that apparently already has a wiring harness.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Form>Function

I am still surprised that tuning with these cars is so hard. I was under the impression that Emanage (both blue & ultimate), CamCon, and FIC were all working viable sources for management but it looks like they are all still hit and miss?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Still has a lot to do with the tuner and knowing the details of set up.

Several people running the FI/C with no issues. Peterpoop had the eManage working just fine, but I don't know another example of that success.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
Form>Function

I can understand there are not a lot of people out there requiring tuning on a Yaris but what about all the scions out there running boosted that need tuning? I even went to like one of the most reputable tuners in my area and he told me he does Hondata only??? What is that?

It is reassuring that yes there are a handful of people successfully tuned but then again its such a rarity that peterpoop and chinocharles are like the only ones successfully running greddy management. I have yet to see someone running CamCon on a turbo and even going with AEM you have to either purchase a $500 harness that is not guaranteed to even work or be able to custom wire it. On top of it you still get people on both sides of the fence like above. Some will swear by the FIC and others will slam it as no more than a paperweight.

As someone pursing boost it is just disheartening to know tuning is not going to be a sure thing.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Outside of open source ECUs (i.e. subaru; standalone management) you're never going to have tuning as a sure thing. I don't understand why people have this misconstrued idea that tuning is so difficult on this car. It's as difficult as any other car without open source software.

Aras - the sprint 500 is 3x the price of an FIC - that's hardly viable competition. Although I agree you absolutely need to pay to play, there does become a time where you're overpaying to play. Why in the world would you need to drop more money on something other than a piggyback for management in this case? Especially one that has worked time and time again?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I think the cam con is great for NA application, because air flow adjustments are all that are really needed. But I think the shop was right to point you in the direction of purchasing the FIC. Timing definitely needs to be pulled with forced induction applications, the cam con cannot do that. on top of that, the MAF voltage would probably max out anyways, so the cam con would have no or minimal effect on changes under boost. The FIC has the ability to clamp the voltage, thus being able to tune better for boost.
If you want the ability to tune vvt i , you can still install the cam con in conjunction with the FIC. Just leave the air flow wires disconnected. I used the cam con with my emanage years ago.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ interesting hybrid solution.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
vten

Interesting idea blown xa... I will forward your message to the shop ... I'm just dying waiting for my car to be done .
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I know that feeling way too well. It's worth it though IF you get a good result. Hoping for you!