Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Sedan - custom center exit exhaust.

Well after looking and looking at aftermarket exhaust systems, I'm....well....exhausted. I've always liked Kaotic Lasagna's center exit on his sedan, so it looks like I'm going to copy him. What's that saying, something like "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? I like his system better than say dual stacks out the trunk lid! Anyway, I found a muffler/exhaust shop about 8 miles from where I live that does custom work. I have a ton of info from K.L about his system, so I'm taking all that with me tomorrow and I'm meeting with the owner of the shop to hopefully get an estimate for the work. Unless they have a smokin' deal on a muffler, I'll probably order that piece off the internet and bring it to him. I think his shop can do mandrel bends for a nice smooth exhaust flow. I'll keep ya'll posted and shoot some pics as it comes together.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
what tip did you get?
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Mandel bends! That's going to be better than mine!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Mandel bends! That's going to be better than mine!
I'm not trying to out-do you, hopefully that's what this shop does. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
what tip did you get?
I haven't decided yet. I'll see what the shop has available to get some ideas. I think for it to look right, it needs to be a dual outlet, probably stainless steel.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
I'm not trying to out-do you, hopefully that's what this shop does. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I haven't decided yet. I'll see what the shop has available to get some ideas. I think for it to look right, it needs to be a dual outlet, probably stainless steel.
hahaha, by all means, out-do me. If you can get mandrel bends, go for it. Much better than crush bends.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Herbicidal

I met with the owner of the muffler/exhaust shop (Mark) on Saturday and he's a cool dude! His partner in crime is Bill and both are very knowledgable about custom systems. We put my car up on his rack and looked at the system basically from the cat's back. In the end, we'll probably leave the factory resonator and just work in a new muffler (brand name I don't remember but is new to the market) just past the rear axle and run the remaining distance to a dual tip center exit. He doesn't do mandrel bends, but for our size motor, as long as the curves are not too sharp, his piping will flow just fine. They totally agree about keeping it 'clean' and 'simple' and tucked up out of sight. We also talked about painting the muffler and the piping black so that the only thing you see is that dual tip! At one point, they both went out to their cars and fired 'em up so I could hear their exhaust, that was pretty cool. They are both a couple of gearheads.

I didn't even think to bring my camera, but all us that were at the shop (even a passerby) like the center exhaust (mocked it up on a couple of stands so we could stand back and get a good look at it) and both Mark and Bill believe they can run with less pipe than Kaotic Lazagna has (sorry man!). I took with me pictures of K.L's exhaust and that helped immensely! Now I just need to do it! So far I am very impressed with these guys at All Muffler Services, Inc. in Rocklin, CA. I spent about an hour and a half talking with them and getting an education myself about Magnaflow vs Flowmaster, etc. They were more than willing to listen to what I wanted and feel confident they can set me up with a system that I will love! The out-the-door quote for the muffler, dual tip, piping, labor, etc is just a hair over $400. This is a little more than I was hoping to spend, but these guys will do what it takes to make me happy and they are local so that makes them easy to work with. So far, I would recommend these guys to anyone in the greater Sacramento area if you are considering a custom exhaust. When I left, I felt like I had known these guys for years, they are really super nice, down to earth people that love what they do.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm excited about getting this done, just need to check my finances and pull the trigger. I definately want it done before our Nor-Cal meet next month.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

hahaha, I think I know how they're doing it so that it requires less piping than mine. They're going to use a muffler that has an inlet and outlet on opposite sides, oppose to mine that has it on the same side. Then they're going to do a 90 degree turn to the driver side of the car towards the mid-line, then another 90 degree to make it go out the rear. Definitely less piping and bends than my set up. However, $400 seems really high for an axle-back. If you really want to spend less than that, you should go to where I had mine done.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
^ +1

I think I had my exhaust done at the same place (MufflerTech Laz?) and I think it was no more than $300.

Although they didn't go as in depth as the place you went to, but then again, I didn't ask many questions as I knew exactly what I wanted to get. (Piping size, cat delete, stock resonator etc)

Although they were nice enough to show me an example car with the muffler I was recommended so I could hear it. (I wanted Borla, but my wallet said no, so we found a Magnaflow with a similar tone) If you're curious we could meet up so you can hear my exhaust, I don't know what you're looking for as far as sound, but mine has a deep tone that's very nice, albeit loud. :)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
^ +1

I think I had my exhaust done at the same place (MufflerTech Laz?) and I think it was no more than $300.

Although they didn't go as in depth as the place you went to, but then again, I didn't ask many questions as I knew exactly what I wanted to get. (Piping size, cat delete, stock resonator etc)

Although they were nice enough to show me an example car with the muffler I was recommended so I could hear it. (I wanted Borla, but my wallet said no, so we found a Magnaflow with a similar tone) If you're curious we could meet up so you can hear my exhaust, I don't know what you're looking for as far as sound, but mine has a deep tone that's very nice, albeit loud. :)
Thanks Gideon, I appreciate the offer. This week is rather...errr....Kaotic! Maybe shoot me a PM with your availability if you don't mind. I work until 4pm, down in Rancho Cordova, then head up to Roseville. If not sometime this week, maybe during the weekend?

Quote:
hahaha, I think I know how they're doing it so that it requires less piping than mine. They're going to use a muffler that has an inlet and outlet on opposite sides, oppose to mine that has it on the same side. Then they're going to do a 90 degree turn to the driver side of the car towards the mid-line, then another 90 degree to make it go out the rear. Definitely less piping and bends than my set up. However, $400 seems really high for an axle-back. If you really want to spend less than that, you should go to where I had mine done.
From what I recall, it wasn't so much 90's, but maybe closer to 45 (or 60?) degree angles coming over the axle and out the back. The dual tip, I believe is stainless, at $80 and has a look that I like alot. They were also going to replace the hangers with poly bushings instead of the rubber ones which allow the exhaust to really move about. I'm not saying all this is worth an extra $100, but I'll think about it some more.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Thanks Gideon, I appreciate the offer. This week is rather...errr....Kaotic! Maybe shoot me a PM with your availability if you don't mind. I work until 4pm, down in Rancho Cordova, then head up to Roseville. If not sometime this week, maybe during the weekend?
My availability is crap this week, I have a lot of late days, but my weekend is wide open for the most part so we should hang out then for sure.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Herb, you're in luck. I live in Rancho Cordova. hahahahaha. Hit me up to see if I'm home when you're available.

Oh, the bends I was referring to where after the muffler outlet. I can't remember the bends before the inlet. hehehe.

But yeah, SS tip and new hangers, I can see why they're charging 400 big ones. I think my resonator-back would have been close to 400 if I had gotten a SS tip.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
^ +1

Yup, correct, James, Muffler Tech.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Yup, correct, James, Muffler Tech.
Yeah, though so. Found my receipt, it was $340 with my SS dual tip. (Which was $60)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Herbicidal

Quote:
My availability is crap this week, I have a lot of late days, but my weekend is wide open for the most part so we should hang out then for sure.
I'm thinking Sunday is going to be my better day. Don't know if that works for you?

Quote:
Herb, you're in luck. I live in Rancho Cordova. hahahahaha. Hit me up to see if I'm home when you're available.
Lunch time? My lunch hour is flexible. I work near Hazel Ave and Hwy 50.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

I have morning and lunch time classes at CSUS. Best day for those hours would be Mondays and Wednesday. We can meet at Sac State if you and James can't meet up by then.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
I'm thinking Sunday is going to be my better day. Don't know if that works for you?
Yeah, that works
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
Herbicidal

Quote:
I have morning and lunch time classes at CSUS. Best day for those hours would be Mondays and Wednesday. We can meet at Sac State if you and James can't meet up by then.
Thanks but Sac State is a little out of the way for me.

Quote:
Yeah, that works
Cool. Do you want to meet and grab some lunch somewhere? How about checking in with a PM sometime Saturday afternoon/evening and see if Sunday is still clear?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Cool. Do you want to meet and grab some lunch somewhere? How about checking in with a PM sometime Saturday afternoon/evening and see if Sunday is still clear?
Yeah, we can do something like that, sounds good to me. Just shoot me a PM on Saturday and we can set a time.