Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Replaced worn strut bearings

Finally replaced the strut bearings after about 150k miles (worn strut bearings in attached pictures). When taking them out, they were completely worn and had tons of play. These top strut bearings hold most of the load and deal with up and down and side to side forces, so they definitely will wear out quicker if you are lowered and do lots of spirited driving.

If these are worn, they will effect the way the car handles. My steering wheel was crooked even when getting multiple alignments and the steering felt slopping and all over the place. When replacing the strut bearings, steering feels a lot more direct, I turn the wheel and it goes in that direction. Steering wheel is straight now instead of crooked so it fixed that alignment issue. Would definitely recommend replacing these if you haven't yet.

Toyota Part# 48619-0D011
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-17 15.55.47.jpg (59.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-02-17 15.55.15.jpg (61.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by FunctionSpec; 02-20-2018 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Part number
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Being relatively new to these cars, is it an involved job? I'm assuming spring compressors are required and an alignment afterwards? Not even sure, do these cars us a concentric bolt for alignment? This would make a great DIY guide. Not sure if there is one on the site already.

Thanks for posting!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-28-2018 at 08:28 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #3
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Being relatively new to these cars, is it an involved job? I'm assuming spring compressores are required and an alignment afterwards? Not even sure, do these cars us a concentric bolt for alignment? This would make a great DIY guide. Not sure if there is one on the site already.

Thanks for posting!
It is quite involved and if you check out the DIY spring install guide on the site, it'll give you the main steps to get to the strut bearing. It is pressed into the the top hat. You gently tap out the old strut bearing and then carefully tap in the new one in. I used a deep socket that fit right into the hole to tap out the old one and then used a slightly smaller socket to tap in the new one.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
It is quite involved and if you check out the DIY spring install guide on the site, it'll give you the main steps to get to the strut bearing. It is pressed into the the top hat. You gently tap out the old strut bearing and then carefully tap in the new one in. I used a deep socket that fit right into the hole to tap out the old one and then used a slightly smaller socket to tap in the new one.
Sorry, I missed this response. Thanks for the info! It doesn't sound like too bad a job and I'll bet the difference is striking - even replacing bearings that are slightly worn. When I replaced the struts in my older Dodge van, it was like driving a brand new vehicle.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Replacing just these bearings would have no influence on your steering wheel position, that was likely the guys doing your alignment being lazy and not centering the wheel.

But yes we should look into replacing these if you modify the suspension after 100k, they're only about $15 each
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote