Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
longlivekel

Drives: Rover Mini S
Electrical Journey Seeking Electrical Guru Advice

Hello Everyone,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this... Please relocate if need be!

I sold my yaris quite some time ago, but my project car holds the heart of a 1nz. This thread could go south fast or could reveal a lot of headaches on my end. I have a 60s Mazda Carol that I have completely re-engineered and am trying to pump life into it for the first time. I grabbed a complete engine, body harness, and ECU from a 2000 5spd Toyota echo. The car didn't have an immobilizer box of any sort, I didn't see a security light anywhere, so I assumed it did not have a transponder setup. This doesn't mean I assumed right and is why I am here looking for help.
I stripped all of the electrical stuff that I didn’t need and connected the essentials. On the ecm I deleted the following: a/c setup, power steering sensor , htr relay, vsv, evap purge valve, abs, ptc, and cooling fan.
As of now, the car will crank and not start. Since the troubleshooting has gone on for a while now, I am going to list what I have checked..
- Checked voltage at Fuel Injectors
- Made sure correct connectors were hooked up for the coils and injectors by checking continuity to ecu
- Checked continuity between injectors and ecm
- Checked continuity, voltage, and functionality of all coils. (when laying coil out on block with plug, there is spark)
- Check the plugs and a couple of the plugs seem to have a little bit of fuel on them after cranking
- Fuel pump is getting power and humming away when key on and cranking
- Ecu, engine, relays, and body grounds show all good continuity.
- Checked the continuity and voltage for the Crank sensor, 02 sensors, knock sensor, Maf sensor. All tests are perfect according to the Toyota Electrical book
- Checked that the ecu is getting proper voltage to the E4-1 and E4-12 at the ECU
- EFI, COPN, and Starter Relay all energizing and properly passing voltage to the proper pins mapped out in the electrical book
- Engine was reported with a good compression check when I bought it, I am going to do this again just in case.
Now with all of this said, I might have left out some stuff due to the overwhelming head scratching.
Anyone have an idea or suggestions, please feel free to toss it out there!

Last edited by longlivekel; 10-15-2019 at 11:00 AM.
longlivekel is offline   Reply With Quote