Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
JDM Reflectors for back bumper

Reflectors, could someone help me with this? I want to set them up so they are on, but get brighter when the brakes are pressed(mimic the tail lights) The light has red, yellow, and black wires. Im assuming the black one is to ground it. Could anyone give me any advice before i try and do it?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
How do you want to connect your rear bumper foglamp? There're 3 options you can play with.

Option 1: Foglamp "ON" when you turn your headlight on.

or

Option 2: Foglamp "ON" when you STEP on your brake pedal.

or

Option 3: Both of option 1 & 2, when you tap on brake, the light bulb will become brighter if not just normal light! (I believe this is the set-up you are looking for)

I just install my rear JDM bumper except for the wiring on the rear bumper foglamp as i still can't decide which to go for.

As for option 3, you will need to have a "twin-wire" bulb instead of standard bulb. But our reflector bulb connector/head have only 2pins set-up. (You need to have 3pins bulb connector/head) We'll need to find way to mod from 2 to 3 pins. Once that is settle, we shall go for wiring below...

Tap the below wire from your veh tail wire into your 3pins set up on your reflector

The "WHITE&BLACK" from our car tail is the ground wire.

The "GREEN" Left side of veh & "ASH" Right side of veh from our car tail is the small lamp wire.(Bulb will light up when headlamp turn on) Connect this to Yellow OR RED.

The "PURPLE" Left side of veh & "ORANGE" Right side of veh from our car tail is the stop lamp. (Bulb will light up brighter when you step on your brake padel) Connect this to the "last" un-connected wire above.

Hope the above explanation it clear to you instead of confusing you further. The attached picture is for the colour code of our wiring which i save the picture from our YarisWorld!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg translatedLarge.jpg (83.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (345.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (396.9 KB, 159 views)
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can do option #3 by using two diodes (which act as one way devices for the flow of current). I put together the diagram below for someone that was looking to have the side marker lights be both parking lights and turn signals. In your case you could do the same for brake/parking lights. As drawn, the LEDs will flash with the turn signals (when the headlights are not on) or will be on solid with the parking lights.

In your case to have them be on with the parking lights and get brighter with the brakes, add a resistor between the parking light wire and the diode (experiment with 1K, 5K, and 10K, to see which gives the best results with your lights). The resistor will make the lights less bright with the parking light feed than with the brake light feed, so you will see a difference when the lights are on and you step on the brakes.

The Diodes are 1N4003 (available at radioshack).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
That's great infomation here!! The resistor is to add in the parking light, may i ask, is the resistor add in before the diode or after the diode?

Won't the wire of the parking & brake signal light be "shock" circuit when i step on the brake padal?

In other word, i can just simple use the standard bulb instead of "twin" wire bulb?

Won't the standard bulb "blow" off if apply brake with the parking light on? (over-voltage)

Sorry CTScott for the many questions. It been many years since i last read my electronic/electrical books.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo165 View Post
That's great infomation here!! The resistor is to add in the parking light, may i ask, is the resistor add in before the diode or after the diode?

Won't the wire of the parking & brake signal light be "shock" circuit when i step on the brake padal?

In other word, i can just simple use the standard bulb instead of "twin" wire bulb?

Won't the standard bulb "blow" off if apply brake with the parking light on? (over-voltage)

Sorry CTScott for the many questions. It been many years since i last read my electronic/electrical books.
The resistor goes before the diode.

The diodes keep the two circuits from feeding each other, as they only let current flow in one direction.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
thanks for the help

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote