Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think the wind plays with your Yaris
Cops think I'm drunk when driving vs. wind 49 54.44%
My Yaris drives straight like an arrow 19 21.11%
Who cares, cause I don't 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
arcath

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I think that you will find the max sidewall inflation different then what the manual calls for. Does your sidewall inflation say 44 PSI max?
I am at work and I cant check it for another hour.

But I'm heading to the nearest gas station after work and inflating to max sidewall pressure.

Ninja Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebrown View Post
well, the main reason i started this thread was to see if the max tire pressure would improve the stability of my yaris sedan on the highway. I just tried 40 psi (the sidewall of the tire says max is 40) and I noticed a BIG difference in stability at 75 mph...I am beginning to think that the main culprit in the yaris' poor highway stability is the very narrow wheelbase and that this can be compensated for by a strong/max sidewall on the tires - i think i am going to try 44 psi given that the max pressure found at the below link says 44:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...l=Potenza+RE92
So im guessing 40.....
arcath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #20
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcath View Post
I am at work and I cant check it for another hour.

But I'm heading to the nearest gas station after work and inflating to max sidewall pressure.

Ninja Edit:

So im guessing 40.....
Yikes, way to much (IMO). I would stick with 32 PSI cold unless you are loaded down.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #21
arcath

why?

I was under the impression that 32 was stock. Hence my problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #22
blacksan

Quote:
why?

If you over inflate without the factor of heavy load then you cause the tire to assume a more rounded, or U shaped profile. This causes less of a contact patch/profile in relationship to tire on the road surface. I am not an artist by any stretch of the imagination so try to imagine the difference between this ) (over inflation) and this ] (correct inflation) in relation ship to contact patch with road surface. Which would you consider more stable?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #23
deebrown

Drives: Sedan
psi

Quote:
why?

My sedan tires do say 40 psi max but i found a link on the tire manufactures website that said 44 psi - i have since (for the last 6 weeks/2000 miles) been at 44 psi - I would say the improvement has been about 50%. I have looked at other message boards (including ones for the prius - which comes with the 185's on them as well) and it seems that upgrading to 195's makes a big difference (not sure if that's really true or not)...apparently, corrolla's also have this problem as well. i'm going to keep my current tires (like you, strapped for cash) until late November and then upgrade to 195's - as the 160 tread on those stock tires doesn't cut it in the wisconsin winters...
deebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
arcath

Yes, but the general consensus is inflating to the stock tires max sidewall pressure, whats printed on the side, is a good thing.

im not talking bout over inflating to 50-60psi.

In all honesty, the interstate driving is killing me, and I cant spend any money really to fix the problems with new tires or tweaking the suspension.

This just seems like a good no cost solution.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM   #25
blacksan

Quote:
Yes, but the general consensus is inflating to the stock tires max sidewall pressure, whats printed on the side, is a good thing.

im not talking bout over inflating to 50-60psi.

In all honesty, the interstate driving is killing me, and I cant spend any money really to fix the problems with new tires or tweaking the suspension.

This just seems like a good no cost solution.
I really feel you just need a few more miles to get the feel for your car. I also had the sensation you described for the first few tanks full of fuel. How many miles have you driven this vehicle?

BTW, I also commute interstate to my job where I drive a company vehicle.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #26
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I run 44psi and I agree with blacksan, traction is not as good (stopped fast today and one tire slid on gravel because I had a big load in back) but think the sidewall flex is much less. My springs cost $117 and an afternoon in the garage....firmer than some people would want, but even with the 1.5" drop I think the stock springs would bottom quicker (I bought the LB so I could carry things).....tires are behind cruise control and scangage on my list.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #27
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I run 44psi and I agree with blacksan, traction is not as good (stopped fast today and one tire slid on gravel because I had a big load in back) but think the sidewall flex is much less. My springs cost $117 and an afternoon in the garage....firmer than some people would want, but even with the 1.5" drop I think the stock springs would bottom quicker (I bought the LB so I could carry things).....tires are behind cruise control and scangage on my list.
Do you have the TRD springs?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #28
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
"has me scared to drive on the interstate now"

"60-80mph the car is ALL OVER the road. almost uncontrollable"

"barely made it home from the dealer"

"the interstate driving is killing me"

C'mon, if the Yaris is such a liability, the DOT would never legalize it, hwy fatalities would be all over the news, Toyota stock would plummet on the bad press...

There is nothing wrong with this car and NO you don't have to TRD it to make it track straight. Did you guys come from a Lexus LS or Bentley? making the Yaris so hard to get used to? Sure the Yaris is buzzy but it's damn smooth for a sub 2300lb car. Short wheel base? same as the Fit.

I also have a Jeep wrangler with 93" wheelbase and high CG, I've passed semis doing 85mph in Texas crosswinds Quite frankly y'all don't know how good you have it.

ON a serious note, if you're really scared to drive the Yaris on the hwy you need a new car. Dont' mess with tire pressure or feel you have to lower it 2" to feel stable. Get a 3300 lb Camry with 110 in wheel base

Last edited by Mead; 05-17-2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: extra quote
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I thought all North America YAris came with Potenza(bridgestone)
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #30
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post

C'mon, if the Yaris is such a liability, the DOT would never legalize it, hwy fatalities would be all over the news, Toyota stock would plummet on the bad press...

There is nothing wrong with this car and NO you don't have to TRD it to make it track straight. Did you guys come from a Lexus LS or Bentley? making the Yaris so hard to get used to? Sure the Yaris is buzzy but it's damn smooth for a sub 2300lb car. Short wheel base? same as the Fit.

I also have a Jeep wrangler with 93" wheelbase and high CG, I've passed semis doing 85mph in Texas crosswinds Quite frankly y'all don't know how good you have it.

ON a serious note, if you're really scared to drive the Yaris on the hwy you need a new car. Dont' mess with tire pressure or feel you have to lower it 2" to feel stable. Get a 3300 lb Camry with 110 in wheel base
Dude, my old CJ 5 would take about half turn port-n-starboard just to keep her straight on the interstate! It's kind of hard to explain to folks that have never driven short wheelbase/high center of gravity vehicles before.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #31
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
I thought all North America YAris came with Potenza(bridgestone)
Nope, I have the Goodyear skins on mine! The funny part is that they are made in Japan?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #32
arcath

Okie a update, I checked, max PSI for the tire is 44, and when i checked at the gas station 1/2 mile from work all four tires are at 48-50psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I really feel you just need a few more miles to get the feel for your car. I also had the sensation you described for the first few tanks full of fuel. How many miles have you driven this vehicle?

BTW, I also commute interstate to my job where I drive a company vehicle.
i got about 140 miles on the car so far this week. Picked her up monday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post

"60-80mph the car is ALL OVER the road. almost uncontrollable"

Yeah, I have no problem with the car what so ever going under 60mph. Its a great car.

But since I am carrying a 2 year old in the back seat, the car should not feel like im driving drunk if I take the interstate. Say what you will about me, i dont care too much.

I have driven a 86 626, suburu loyale, taurus, f150, small japanese box cars when i was there, and a ranger. Small cars, big cars, none of them have handled like this at interstate speeds before for me.

Sorry if I'm a bit concerned for the safety of my family.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #33
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
My yaris seems to hit a sweet spot when it hits 80 and drives as smooth as silk. Don't know why you'd be having problems. Sometimes when the wind picks up over 20 miles an hour I can feel a pull.

Mines a stock yaris hatchback. My tires are at 36psi.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #34
blacksan

arcath, the high PSI you where reading was most likely from warm tires. You need to check them cold to get proper PSI reading.

You have every right, and obligation to keep you family safe. I was not trying to slam you in the least. I drive for a living and am very sensitive to all matters concerning vehicle performance. My observation/reply was based on professional experience going back too 1983. I am not the keeper of all knowledge, but just trying to pass on some observations.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #35
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
If you are concerned with your family's safety , take driving lessons...... The yaris is fine
The next time it rains , and you have to apply the brakes in a hurry , you won't like whats gonna happen . GO BACK TO STOCK PRESSURE , for your family ........
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 AM   #36
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Forget about all the tire pressure BS... Even with stock tires, tire pressures, and suspension, it should track straight and consistent at 80 MPH. If your car is as squirlly on the interstate as you say than there is somthing wrong with it. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's their problem, not yours.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote