Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
How to install RS spoiler?

Iv searched and searched and iv only found the sedan spoiler, and the lip spoiler DIYs. But i dont understand how to put on this RS one. Is there a write up? I guess i could go 3m tape and not have to drill, but i rather have it truly secured plus tape if i want.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I think ryank has one on his. Hope he sees this thread. I think he 3M taped it AND drilled in two screws where the holes were.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
yeah I saw his spoiler. He sorta drilled into his hatch to fit it on there.....
I'd be sooo nervous doing that! I'd have to get it professionaly done.
ryank also said he had a bit of problem with leaking?
I cant answer completely for him but he'd be the guy to ask.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
it's easy. get a piece of paper or plastic or whatever you can. cut it to match the spoiler, holes and all...tape it to the car and center it, line it up, level it whatever u wanna call it. then u drill the holes, clean up the metal, put some primer on the holes so they dont rust. then install the spoiler using supplied hardware.

that's what the dealer does....but they have stickers with markers on them to line it up properly, then drill holes through the holes provided in the 'installation kit' provided by toyota.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

The hardware I got with the spoiler didn't make sense. I assume I'd have to buy self-tapping screws and drill from the top?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
here you go , this is the Toyota PDF
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yaris roof spoiler install 3.pdf (963.6 KB, 242 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
I had my RS Spoiler installed professionally. But i did not want them to drill it on, so they said they would glue it on. Pretty sure they used something called "Sikaflex" or another type of bodykit glue to stick it on. Its like a black coloured glue.

The glue is very strong though, so will be hard to remove later.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Thanks 1NZYaris1, but unfortunately the one that ezhacker1 and I bought was not the OEM Toyota brand.
I notice the fasteners on the PDF - I'll see if I can find something like that at the local hardware store.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
ezhacker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Thanks 1NZYaris1, but unfortunately the one that ezhacker1 and I bought was not the OEM Toyota brand.
I notice the fasteners on the PDF - I'll see if I can find something like that at the local hardware store.
if the 2 screws were longer i could see how it would work. maybe im just not as intuitive.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

I think it's kind of like this, but since you bought yours from kargoboy like I did, I think you'll probably have to find better fasteners at your local hardware store. The ones that came with the spoiler looked kind of funny to me. Don't mind the bad illustration -drawing with a mouse is a b*.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spoiler2.jpg (37.2 KB, 437 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
ezhacker1

it seems that the end piece to the bolt, would go inside of the car, and fasten that way. but the bolt just doesnt seem long enough, ill look at it again.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Those are called nutserts and are used all over Jeeps, so they should hold the spoiler on just fine...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Mines just glued on , been on for a year know no issues at all.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
it seems that the end piece to the bolt, would go inside of the car, and fasten that way. but the bolt just doesnt seem long enough, ill look at it again.
You will soon realize that you can't get to the inside of the car liftback roof to fasten from the inside unless you go through two planes with a super long bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Those are called nutserts.
Thanks! I didn't even know there was a name for them.

Last edited by yarisugi; 05-03-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
Is the RS spoiler the large spoiler on the Sparks site?

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
ezhacker1

Quote:
You will soon realize that you can't get to the inside of the car liftback roof to fasten from the inside unless you go through two planes with a super long bolt.

Thanks! I didn't even know there was a name for them.

yeah i was looking at it, and thinking...hmmm the two holes would have to be straight or it would suck.

and the name "nutsert" is hilarious to me.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
In my wild youth I used to install side mirrors on new Ford trucks at the dealer. The part Ford supplied was referred to as a riv-nut. One drilled a hole. Slipped in the nut. Then used a star washer, nut and bolt and set the riv-nut buy thightening the bolt with an air rachet while holding the nut,star-washer, and riv-nut stationary with a end wrench. The riv-nut would mushroom inside the panel like a pop-rivet and provide permanent steel threads in the panel to hold on the side rear view mirrors. One didn't need access to the inside of the door to use them. I installed thousands faster than flat rate.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

riv-nut! Thanks for the info.
I think the tool to drive that riv-nut is mega bucks.