Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Which car to choose?

I have somewhat of a dilemma. I have a 1988 RX7 Convertible N/A. Its a track car. A friend of mine had a project fall through and is practically giving me a 1UZ-FE, for which the converter plate, T-56 6 Speed, and twin turbo equipment on order. My initial thought was to put the V8 in the RX7, however I've been a huge fan of the rotary engine for a long time. Now, just a few days after I obtained the engine, another friend of mine told me he could get me a 1930 Ford Model A Pickup body for dirt cheap. So, essentially, my question is: Do I ditch the RX7 (For which there is already a very enthusiastic buyer), and build a 1930 Model A hotrod; or do I keep the RX7 and do some extremely serious work? Either way I'm looking to spend about $7k more than I already have on the drivetrain. I can't keep the RX7 and build the hotrod - I share a house with a couple of my friends who each have one car to my 2 cars and a motorcycle. So I have more than my fair share of parking already. Either way, the Yaris is my DD, so the other car will be my track/show car. Anyone have any opinions? Thanks in advance.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
tough decision! I'd choose the RX-7, FC, right? They are hot, especially convertible... but yeah, swapping out the rotary for a Toyota V8 would seem sacrilegous...

On the other hand old skool hotrods are awesome too... good luck deciding, I would nto know what to do either

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I vote for the rat rod! but will it be as much fun on track?

I listened to my bro and his friend go round and round about this same idea last year--he had a 89 rx with engine that needed rebuilding but no rotary mechanic within 200 miles.

He decided that swapping out the rotary would add weight, change the handling characteristics of the car, and make it tough to sell later. Lots of guys have done the v8 conversion though. See http://www.grannysspeedshop.com/ for kits.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
WindUpToy

Drives: Tacoma Xrunner
i think at the end of the day..the 1930 ford will be the BEST investment. with the toyota v8 or not...

the rx7's are cool..but sh*t..a 1930 rat rod always makes everyone look.

or you can sell your rx7 and drop that v8 into a 1980 te72 corolla..and make that your track car.
WindUpToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
CompanyXPaladin

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, I know the swap is possible. I'm on lextreme, rx7club, and torquecentral, among others, and the swap is certainly possible. But at the same time I kind of always wanted a badass rod. The RX7 is a lot of fun on the track, but it doesnt have the pick-up-and-go of a V8. It has a street port, intake, and exhaust, and throttlebody, and runs around 200 HP (guesstimate). With the V8 I'm shooting for 400 HP (I wouldn't complain if it went over that....). And etimago has it right - the V8 RX7 seems sacriligious. The weight and handling characteristics of a V8 RX7 are actually very similar to a REW RX7. With some mild weight reduction on the car and battery relocation the weight distribution is the same and you can even get it lighter than stock.

I should be able to make the rod handle about as well on the track....

Still undecided...
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
My family has a mint-condition 1988 RX7 GXL that they are holding on to for me. I cannot wait to own that car. ROTARY FTW!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
TURBO Wankle FTW
Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
we actually have a couple guys running LS-1's in RX-7's here... pretty sick
Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
!!!!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
CompanyXPaladin

Don't get me wrong - I love the Wankel. The sound, the response, the handling, the feel of driving the car, are all fantastic. I could definitely go for some more power, especially since I have the N/A version. The REW swap costs as much as the 1UZ swap. I could definitely go for some good old Toyota reliability - it seems like I spend as much time under the hood of that car as I do behind the wheel, which I'm sure has a lot to do with it's age. The last time I took her to the track (Buttonwillow kicks ass), my alternator gave out on the way home - new alternator, battery, cables, and ground kit. I love the engine, but I fear it will nickle and dime me to death while still only making mediocre power.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
1930!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES