Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Shifter knob/gauge cluster color

I'm looking to replace the stock shifter knob on my MT LB. Not sure exactly what I want to get. I've been trying to do some searching for some cool looking ones that arn't overly priced (I know there are a lot out there that look awesome! but I can't afford them, I do have to be mindful of finances for awhile). Any thoughts as to where I can find an affordable shift knob? Also, do I need to be mindful of any sizing issues?

My favorite color is purple, and with the interior being primarily black, I'm thinking something with a purple tint to it, just to give it a lil nice color touch.

Also, my gauge cluster (as well as the other central controls one the car) are this hideous orangey-yellow color. I've seen some other users pics that show a nice blue cluster. How, if possible, do you change the color? Is it just the bulbs? I'm fine with the radio and climate controls being the orangey color, but the gauge cluster is just wrong, at least IMO!

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Shift knobs, there's just soooooo many out there... I'm a fan of Momo myself, but they can be on the pricey side. A lot of aftermarket knobs are universal-size (i.e. they usually use some set screws and a rubber ring to grab onto the stick), or else for those that are threaded, they'll need to match the shaft size and thread. I don't remember the specifics but I am sure someone will chime in

As for changing the gauge cluster colors, it's a bit trickier as you'll need to unsolder LEDs and solder new ones back in. There is a DIY on this in the DIY section!

The lights in the AC controls, though, should just be a lil bulb with a transparent tinted rubber cover which you can swap for some other color, I have done this. Or you can replace the bulb itself with some LEDs, this is again covered in the DIY section

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
www.microimageonline.com Has some really nice shift knobs I bought a black round delrin knob from him and love it. I don't think he carries any purple ones. If you PM him "Cali Yaris" aka Garm I'm sure he will be able to help you out!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
You can always find the shape you want and then paint it to match. I bought a "bombshell" TWM knob in plain stainless and then painted it with duplicolor Metalcast blue, looks really cool imho. They make metalcast in purple as well.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote