Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Blitz S/C: new failure mode!

So I've been abusing my Blitz for around 3 years now, and it's given as many punches as it's taken. I've lost 2 aluminum crank pulleys in the last 12-15 months, 2 or 3 belts, and have a bad oil seal somewhere that results in my accessory belt area being coated in a light dusting of engine oil and rubber dust. Very dirty stuff to work with.

So the latest failure mode was the main bolt that goes through the OEM alternator mount shearing off between the mount and the Blitz bracket. The bolts are all-thread--which is less than ideal from a wear standpoint--but if I was that worried about it I could replace them with the right bolts.

It's been working itself free every few months for the last year or so, and I just tightened it back up with whatever torque I could manage using a ratcheting box wrench. You can't get in there with a socket, and if you knock the protective cap off the alternator cable, you will blow your main fusible link. Don't ask how I know that...

There's been a bit of noise up there as well, but I assumed that the looseness was the cause of the squealing/chirping, or that the tensioner pulley had a bad bearing. Or both. Turns out that the alternator was gummed up from the oil/rubber dust and wouldn't turn freely.

The bolt at the top of the bracket had stripped out after about a year, and I haven't gotten around to removing the motor mount to get enough clearance to run a larger tap. I also didn't realize that there are two bolts that can go through the bracket into the end of the "neck" of the pulley. I got one of them to thread in, but for some reason neither of my kits had the right bolts to put in there in the first place.

I'm sure that the tension I put on the belt is a significant factor, but even when it's slipping at 5k, it's still breaking other things.

Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160522_203300141.jpg (465.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160522_203253045.jpg (442.0 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 05-22-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added pics
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Wow. That sucks, Cranky. I hear so many bad things about these units. It's a shame really.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
What in the world do you do to your car? lol

My Blitz has been on for about 40k miles so far. I haven't had any problems out of it.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
What in the world do you do to your car? lol

My Blitz has been on for about 40k miles so far. I haven't had any problems out of it.
Drive it like I stole it, every day. AutoX on the weekends for extra punishment.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
Wow. That sucks, Cranky. I hear so many bad things about these units. It's a shame really.
They're not intrinsically bad, I just don't baby it and don't fix it before it breaks.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
AzianCuz
conundrum562

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Type S
Send a message via AIM to AzianCuz
Shit.... Mine is making some noises and I lubed it with WD40 seems to be running smoother now, but I think I have the exact same problem... HELP.... What should I do??? Before lubing that part the S/C was really laggy...
BLITZ S/C|MICRO-IMAGE CRANK PULLEY|NST ALT;WATER PUMP PULLEY|BLITZ SUS SHORT RAM;HEADERS;AXLE-BACK EXHAUST|2.25 PIPING|1ZZ INJECTORS|OPTIMA YELLOW-TOP|GTSPEC FRONT STRUT;MID LOWER CHASSIS;4 PNT FRNT LOWER BRACE|WHITELINE REAR SWAY;BUSHINGS|TANABE FRNT SWAY|TRD LOWERING SPRINGS/SHOCKS|R1 CONCEPT DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS|EBC GREEN PADS|THROTTLE SPACER|XTREME PERFORMANCE CHIP MOD
AzianCuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Geeze, that's why I optend for the 2zr...Yota reliability and less having to deal with parts contunuing to fail. Boosting an engine never meant for boost is always a constant project from what I've read. It also doesn't help that with Toyota's ECU's you can't just re write the engine tune, you have to run a darn piggy back.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan

I think we have it sorted out. It's the idler pulley, which is just a double-sealed unit. Off the shelf replacement with a 6301 series. Well, at least we hope that's the fix. If not, the other bearings all require a non-trivial tear down to replace.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #9
AzianCuz
conundrum562

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Type S
Send a message via AIM to AzianCuz
Anyone had this problem? Listen to that sound, is it the tensioner bearing?

See link below:

View My Video
BLITZ S/C|MICRO-IMAGE CRANK PULLEY|NST ALT;WATER PUMP PULLEY|BLITZ SUS SHORT RAM;HEADERS;AXLE-BACK EXHAUST|2.25 PIPING|1ZZ INJECTORS|OPTIMA YELLOW-TOP|GTSPEC FRONT STRUT;MID LOWER CHASSIS;4 PNT FRNT LOWER BRACE|WHITELINE REAR SWAY;BUSHINGS|TANABE FRNT SWAY|TRD LOWERING SPRINGS/SHOCKS|R1 CONCEPT DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS|EBC GREEN PADS|THROTTLE SPACER|XTREME PERFORMANCE CHIP MOD
AzianCuz is offline   Reply With Quote