Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Yaris Fuel Pump

Alright , I'm tired of reading about the Yaris fuel pump burning up when low on fuel . I will debunk this MYTH right now .

I will use a graphic example that everybody can see for theirselves .

Take a bowl (any will do ) . Put some water in the bowl (more than a few drops) . Now take this bowl filled with water and drag the bowl across your table or floor or countertop . Notice that the water will compress to the rear (opposite the travel direction) of the bowl and when the water compresses to the max the wave travels to the front of the bowl . This is commoly refered to as "sloshing" . This sloshing happens everytime you accel , brake , take a turn , hit a bump , or just lifting of the accel pedal . When you brake , turn , or accel "hard" this effect is magnified .(Go ahead and try this with your bowl of water , but be prepared to clean the spill up ) If you have a very low fuel level and you turn , brake or accel very hard , fuel starvation is possible , but Toyota has virtually eliminated starvation with the design of the fuel tank itself . Go ahead to your Yaris and look at the fuel tank . See those depressions . They act as baffles which keeps a certain amount of fuel available for pickup by the pump .

Keep in mind that energy is neither created nor destroyed , merely transfered .

Another thing about the fuel is that while the sloshing helps cool the outside of the pump the fuel going through also cools the pump from the inside .

Can a Yaris fuel burn up ? It sure can . Here are some (not all) reasons .
A. Defective pump from factory (Not very likely in a Toyota)
B. Low Quality Assurance (Again , not very likely in a Toyota )
C. Age . Every fuel pump will eventually fail .
D. If you have a 1/2 a gallon in your tank and you decide to let your Yaris idle(while not moving) until it runs out of fuel , then it might (not likely) burn up . Toyota engineers aren't that stupid . They test fuel pumps submerged in fuel and not submerged in fuel .

Toyota did not become the GLOBAL leader in Automobile sales b/c they put fuel pumps that burn out b/c of low fuel .

Mechanics , I love them . I have many mechanic friends , but I have yet to see any of them run test on exactly why a fuel pump stops operating (they do test to confirm failure ). They merely tell you that your pump isn't working and needs to be replaced . They may speculate ( some with years of experience ) . I have never seen or heard of a mechanic disassemling a fuel pump and showing the customer "this is why your pump failed " . As a customer , most people don't give a flying fudge nut "why" unless it is a reccurent problem .

99% of Yaris fuel pumps will perform flawlessly past 100,000 miles , no matter what the fuel level is .

If anyone has seen a Yaris fuel pump fail , post here . PLEASE do not post experiences with INFERIOR automobile manufactures such as GM , Chrysler , Mercedes , and BMW .