Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Best filter ive used = wix 51396 - same as camry 2.4L. Best Oil = MTD 5w-30 snowthrower winter oil API SJ ( which is closer to the recommended SL on my fill cap than is SM GF4). This is for engine performance NOT validated by a used oil analysis - which itself in interpretation is oft fraught with misconcept and misconstrual.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-13-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: sp
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Yep, your not getting all your oil out. Using ramps? That'll mess it up. Mine usually takes 3 + 3/4 qt with a good long drain at various angles using a floor jack. Dont over fiil or it will dogg down.
i'm using an alignment rack at the place i work. BMW/nissan/honda...so i know the car's level.

it doesnt really matter, when i check the stick after first turn on and shut down to check it's always on the line. and the oil is clean, just like it came out of the bottle...very little color change

but any way, it doesnt really matter. i change my oil at service interval and i'm using higher than standard oils, full synthetic so even if there's a quart left in there it's still not dead enough to change
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
TheSilkySmooth

Mobil 1 5w-30 is not full synthetic just 30%, Castrol Syntec has no synthetic in it, Valvoline Synpower has no synthetic in it - what "full synthetic" are you running? IN North American market, synthetic oil doesnt have to be real synthetic. Pretty much a joke - on us. High detergent / long drain "synthetics" can and do show higher engine wear than your 2 buck a litre conventional petrol oil. The detergents compete with the extreme pressure boundary additives (zinc compounds). High detergency is not a plus on a passenger car or race car.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Mobil 1 5w-30 is not full synthetic just 30%, Castrol Syntec has no synthetic in it, Valvoline Synpower has no synthetic in it - what "full synthetic" are you running?
If you are going to ask such a question, it seems like you might post a few links to sources which support your position.

I see this all the time. "This or that vendor's synthetic oil isn't really synthetic." But rarely do I note any sort of reference to credible sources making a clear statement on the matter, based upon clear evidence.

Besides that, I have to wonder why there's such a focus upon what's thought to be in the oil, and such a lack of focus upon how, empirically speaking, the oil performs relative to other oils.

That's why people become so weary of oil threads. There's always a lot of bluster by folks who imply they have the facts in hand. But rarely is there any actual meat to the claims.

-Steve

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-15-2010 at 10:44 PM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Oil Thread! Oil Thread! Oil Thread!

Yay!!!

I'm so close to trying Amsoil, looks like it is worth a try.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'm so close to trying Amsoil, looks like it is worth a try.
What criteria do you plan to use to evaluate Amsoil if you try it?

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
If you are going to ask such a question, it seems like you might post a few links to sources which support your position.

... ...

That's why people become so weary of oil threads. There's always a lot of bluster by folks who imply they have the facts in hand. But rarely is there any actual meat to the claims.

-Steve
If someone made a questionable or surprising statement, I too would ask their source and then perform some research, myself, to validate. The information is out there in foreign MSDS (typ Korea and Japan where full disclosure is required) The P/N are the same as North America, so we will assume its the same formulation. This issue to me is consumer deception and cost. The Mfg cost on a group III base stock are 1/2 that of a PAO or PO Ester. Europe does not allow such foolishness as labeling a conventional oil a synthetic. I would post the PDF file but EXxon-Mobil tends toward RTF HTML not downloadable PDF.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims...mentFormat=RTF

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 03-16-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: linky
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
RangerBEH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
See below:
thanks bigsky2 the post with the exact oil level was very helpful. I used just under the 4 quart mark for a change with filter and it gave me a oil level about 1/8 under the full line.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #27
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
I use 4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 oil with a Purolator Pure One filter PL14476 from Advance Auto. I use ramps, oil filter wrench and a 14mm wrench to remove the drain plug. Advance Auto and Autozone will except the used oil for disposal.
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #28
janders

Drives: 2010 sedan
my 2010 sedan seems to take 3.25 with filter also which kind of puzzled me since it says 3.9 in manual.....i did notice when brand new it registered way over the full mark so....which should you go by......car was level when changing also
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #29
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
my 2010 sedan seems to take 3.25 with filter also which kind of puzzled me since it says 3.9 in manual.....i did notice when brand new it registered way over the full mark so....which should you go by......car was level when changing also
My 2010 was overfilled too.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
Chuck

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Mobil 1 5w-30 is not full synthetic just 30%, Castrol Syntec has no synthetic in it, Valvoline Synpower has no synthetic in it - what "full synthetic" are you running? IN North American market, synthetic oil doesnt have to be real synthetic. Pretty much a joke - on us. High detergent / long drain "synthetics" can and do show higher engine wear than your 2 buck a litre conventional petrol oil. The detergents compete with the extreme pressure boundary additives (zinc compounds). High detergency is not a plus on a passenger car or race car.
Here is a Castrol true synthetic that you can buy in the US, (I usually find it at AutoZone), but yeah its made in Germany. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=718643
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #31
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Well I put Agip full synth in my bike... BMW stealers sell a Castrol full synth as well... do ya really want to spend $20+ liter though...

I'd consider it if i didn't need 4 changes a year.. (and thats changing at 10,000kms intervals instead of 8,000 with synth)
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #32
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Well I put Agip full synth in my bike... BMW stealers sell a Castrol full synth as well... do ya really want to spend $20+ liter though...

I'd consider it if i didn't need 4 changes a year.. (and thats changing at 10,000kms intervals instead of 8,000 with synth)
bmw 5w30 retails for 6.25 here in central illinois. I buy it for about 5 per quart. the stuff thats $20+ is castrol motorsport TWS 10w60. thats only for the M cars, probably a little too serious for the yaris!

(I used to work parts for BMW when we still had the franchise)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote