Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
tomgibson59

Drives: Yaris TSport
Rear OS Braking Issues

Having a little problem with my rear offside brakes; got to the end of my road the other day and noticed a horrific sound coming from the rear of the car, sounded like a flat tyre. Got out and checked, tyres were fine, however the noise continued on a rotating basis and got much louder under braking so I narrowed it down to the disc. Upon inspection of the disc there was the outline in the shape of one of the pads on the disc. I jacked the corner up, left it in gear, took the handbrake off and rotated to the wheel only to find the pads are contacting the disc constantly and is worse on one part of the disc. The sound has lessened recently but the pads are still in constant contact with the disc.

My current theory is the piston is not retracting into the caliper correctly, leaving the pads in contact with the disc all the time, heating the disc and pads. Upon parking the heat from the pads on one part of the disc warped it.

Can anyone recommend a course of action to fix this. Would this involve a caliper strip down, clean, reassembly with new seals, plus discs and pads?

Cheers
tomgibson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Either rebuilding or replacing the calipers would be the way to go.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
tomgibson59

Drives: Yaris TSport
Thanks for you reply. Which would you say is the more effective option, replacing with a caliper sourced from a wreckers yard or rebuilding the current caliper?
tomgibson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgibson59 View Post
Thanks for you reply. Which would you say is the more effective option, replacing with a caliper sourced from a wreckers yard or rebuilding the current caliper?
I haven't done a rebuild in about 15 years, as I find that new or remanufactured calipers are generally more cost/time effective. You could try one from a wrecker, but considering the age of your TSport you may find a used one to not be much better than your current one.