Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Too dumb for a Smart car, but needed a little iQ. Yaris chassis appicable?

Since the Yaris and iQ share some chassis items and occasionally the 1NR-FE in other parts of the world, not to mention I prefer forums over "Facebook Groups", I wanted to share my iQ with the only community that seems to be Function > Form that i've found with a somewhat shared chassis/suspension.

This is my second ownership of a Toyota product, back when I met my wife I was driving a stock SC400 (which was nice, but hated the gas mileage and lack of room), but having learned how to drive on Toyotas from my father who's compnay cars always were Camrys staring in 1995 until he retired in 2008. I picked up the iQ after WE had a discussion about my current car (at the time a MKIV R32) having only been a manual and my wife not knowing how to drive manual and not wanting to learn. We decided on something that would reasonable gas mileage, she could drive, and I would enjoy since I was no longer permitted a "project car". After test driving a Versa, Fit, Sonic, Yaris, Mazda2, along with a few other cars.

So far I've learned alot here reading through the suspension sub-section about the rear twist beam and the front MacPherson sturt design and i've also learned alot through experience about 78.8" wheelbase cars and handling since I picked it up.

So far what i've added on or have picked up are as follow....

-15x7 Volk TE37 et35
-205/50/15 Yokohama Neo Advan
-drop in K&N filter and gutted front airbox
-diy rear sway bar (see pic for EXAMPLE below)
-Napa front camber bolts run to -1.75 camber, 0 toe
-Moog rear shims run to -0.5 camber, 0 toe
-Tein H-Tech springs (1.4" drop front, 1.6" drop rear)
-old beat up Bride Zeta 2 shell with bad rehopolstery (iQ seats are HORRIBLE laterally supportive and sit up too high for me, I'm 6'4" 245 lbs)
-Razo Formula pedals
-Razo 320mm broadway mirror
-1ZZ throttle body (this will be fun to get to work....)
-StopTech ST40 big brake kit (from an old project, eventually will be added to the iQ with some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels)

I appreciate any input, positive or negative (I can always learn something new). Thank you for looking and your time!
Attached Images

MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
MugenRep

Forgot a pic of the rear sway DIY.....mine looks differently, but basically a bar between both spring perches of the rear twist beam.

Per Andy Hollis (of those whom know him)......

"Of note is the rear sway bar that Craig designed, which looks like it will make it into the final "trunk kit" package that will be on sale soon. The bar connects the back end of the two trailing arms on the twist beam. Since the beam itself resists motion of one arm versus the other, connecting the two arms together at the end means that pushing down on one will push up on the other. Which is exactly how a traditional rear sway bar works, from a force standpoint. Pretty clever. It also looks like it will serve as a method of controlling rear toe change during hard cornering."
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good luck with your iQ. I would have bought one of those if they were available in 2009 and could be had for $13,000.

But why do you try to turn an economy car into a high performance car? WIth the $$$$$ you are spending you could have had a V8!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Looks good! Wish we could see the pics a bit bigger, though.

And I'm pretty sure the iQ is not the same chassis as the Yaris.

If I could've had one with a manual transmission, I would've bought one.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Neat car, but a tad too small for my taste. A Toyota Yaris or Aygo (4-door) would be about as small as I could manage. On the flip side, I couldn't go larger than a Corolla/Auris sized car.

I still need to purchase/install a TRD rear sway bar on my 2015 SE Yaris - probably in late 2016, followed by different (non-black) 16" alloys and 205/50/R16 instead of 195/50/R16 tires. I don't mind the design of the mostly-black OEM alloys really, but they do look the worst on a white Yaris (and best on a black/gray one).

I also wouldn't mind lowering my car about an 1" or so, but no more than that really (it starts looking sort of freakish at some point, lol). I will have to research that some more.

Good luck with your projects!
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
MugenRep

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's the reason I chose this car.....

I needed the most gas efficient car for my wife to transport herself to and from her job. She's currently averaging 40.2 mpg with summer blend. I should edit this and say she WON'T be getting that kind of mileage on the Yokos that were just installed. Way too sticky to get good mileage.

Along with gas mileage, we have access to Manheim Auctions and current Manheim values for iQs are REALLY REALLY low. This car had 18,xxx on the odo when we picked it up and sold at Manheim for $7,xxx.00. Way too cheap to pass up for a Toyota commuter car with no worries of hybrid battery systems.

I've sold all my "fun cars" for a calmer life with my wife and her family. I'm just about to close a sale on my last two fun cars that have been in storage, a 02 Civic Si (supercharged and swapped) and a 90 foxbody mustang. Both were manual, she can't drive them and since we moved to PA to help her father (who has MS and can't walk) we have no place to keep them here.

I would love a V8, but I'd much rather deal with an INCEDIBLY slow car that is fun to throw into turns and has the reliability to last 200,000 plus, than do constant fixing and mods to a car I have no current place to put or finances to deal with. I'll take a short wheelbase, slightly lowered FWD. I'm past the point in my life I need a big V8 or turbo car, been there done that. I don't honestly miss them atm (not to say my eyes won't wander in the future ;)).

For now, I'd just rather do more with less money. I love driving it up PA mountain roads, even with the lack of power it if fun in the turns and the local SCCA said they'd consider it for STS IF it met their criteria and after they checked it out. Obviously it won't be competative, but it'll be fun to challenge myself to become a better driver (of which I need much practice).

According to the Euro forums the iQ and the Yaris share similar chassis parts and under pinnings. The front struts with their high perches don't fit that, but the strut internals are supposedly the same/similar to the Yaris. I know several of the 1NR-FE items are similar to the 1NZ after experimenting, with obviously the engine turned around and the sway and front differential in front of engine instead of behind (which is part of why it handles well for what it is).

I really appreciate the comments guys! I love reading the research, information, and similarities of the chassis on here as well. Thank you for all the good and informative information!

Last edited by MugenRep; 03-17-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Looks good! Wish we could see the pics a bit bigger, though.

And I'm pretty sure the iQ is not the same chassis as the Yaris.

If I could've had one with a manual transmission, I would've bought one.
P.s. I love you blog. I've been reading it for a LONG LONG time......back since I had my SC400 a few years ago!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
...you could have had a V8!
...instead of a 3-8 slug to ya cranium, I got 6 and I'm aimin' 'em...

Sorry, hip hop head here lol. Am I the only one that thought of Ice Cube when I read that?

You sound like a knowledgeable individual that isn't at his first rodeo. Best with all your IQ plans!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
MugenRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
...instead of a 3-8 slug to ya cranium, I got 6 and I'm aimin' 'em...

Sorry, hip hop head here lol. Am I the only one that thought of Ice Cube when I read that?

You sound like a knowledgeable individual that isn't at his first rodeo. Best with all your IQ plans!
Thank you! I have realistic expectations. I may even be able to beat a minivan in a drag race one day with the iQ.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Very nice IQ! Any better pictures from the side?The current ones don't give those wheels any justice.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
My wife traded her iQ in on a Veloster. She's very happy.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
P.s. I love you blog. I've been reading it for a LONG LONG time......back since I had my SC400 a few years ago!
Thanks for the compliment and for reading the blog.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote