Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
jacl3

Drives: 08 Yaris, 07 Versa, 97 Maxima
Vehicle Speed Sensor Problems

I am having a problem with the car (08 Yaris) where the speedometer needle is jumping up and down, it has been getting progressively worse and sometimes when it happens the transmission begins shifting erratically.

There is no check engine light on.

There seem to be 2 sensors related to this,

1) The vehicle speed sensor and the revolution sensor

And 2)The revolution sensor is the black plastic one

The second one pretty much directly under the battery. I can get that one out no problem, but the speed sensor is a little further back (closer to the firewall and center) and has the 3 wire connector, I can get the connector off, and I can get the bolt out no problem, but I can not for the life of me get the sensor out.

2 questions really for you guys, do you think this sensor is the problem? And do you have any tips to get it out?

I see on ebay I can get the parts pretty cheap, but here in Canada the only places I can find them want 130 for the Revolution Sensor and 180 for the VSS so it's pretty expensive to diagnose this way.
jacl3 is offline   Reply With Quote