Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
alexjblake

Drives: Yaris
Toyota Yaris Drum Brake Bleed Nipples

Hello,

I'm carrying out some maintenance on a 2000 3 door yaris with rear drum brakes. The brakes feel very soft and the pedal goes straight to the floor so I'm pretty certain the line need bled (rear drums just been overhauled).

However the bleed nipples are rusted beyond recognition! I'm pretty sure they'll come out but I'd like to put new ones in.

Does anyone know where to buy such parts? (UK)

Thanks in advance!
alexjblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Check your local Toyota dealer / Repairer

47547-20010 is the P/N for the bleeder screw / niple
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Brake bleeding

Replace slave cylinders. You will never get them out. Even soaking, channel locks, what ever you use will be tough.
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Goosecreekjoey

Drives: 2008 yaris
Brake bleeding

Just food for thought, if bleeders are that rusty, and you had the drums turned, meaning someone ground the inside of drum till smooth, why wouldn't you want to replace cylinder. Easy enough job. Cool!
Goosecreekjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
alexjblake

Thanks for all the speedy replies!

I contacted Toyota today and they’ve told me there are 4 different sizes it could be and the only way to know would be to whip one out and measure it!

The cylinders look like new on the inside of the drum when the shoes and fittings were replaced (The fittings were in bad shape) so I would ideally like to keep them but if I can’t get the screws out tonight or they crumble in the process new cylinders it will be!

Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
alexjblake

Update;

I attempted to get the bleed nipples out last night and they weren’t shifting! Figured it was time for new brake cylinders as suggested earlier but after trying to get the brake line off it appears that bolt has suffered the same fate

What is the best way to move forwards from here?

Is cutting the brake pipe and reflaring it with a new brake pipe connector a possible way forwards? If yes would anyone happen to know the details of the brake cylinder thread?

I literally can’t see any other way of doing it
Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjblake View Post

What is the best way to move forwards from here?

I literally can’t see any other way of doing it
Sometimes you just have to suck it up, admit defeat, and see a mechanic. No point in digging a hole for yourself trying to save money, only to end up in a world of hurt.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You can cut the line and out a new connector on and flare it (need the proper tools) or buy a new line and bend it yourself (also need proper tool)

Or bring it to a mechanic and have them do the line work. Won't cost much since it won't take them a long time.

Always coat your brake lines in a fluid film and use a line wrench when doing brake lines
Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Try vice grips as a last resort..
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Always coat your brake lines in a fluid film and use a line wrench when doing brake lines
Sadly we don't have that amazing substance here. We could really use it with all the salt they put on our roads.

As to the problem. You could try heating very carefully with a torch. I'd heat the metal that they go into more. The temperature difference might just bust the crud free and enable you to break them loose with mole grips or a good set of grips.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Heating could damage the rubber cups and seals in the cylinders, best bet is to replace them, you can splice a new piece of brake line onto the old one but need a double flare tool, In the US you can get them pretty cheap at harbor freight, don't know what's available in the UK though.If line is pretty rusty, may be better to replace it to, you will need a tubing bender so you don't kink the new line when bending it to fit.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #12
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
Heating could damage the rubber cups and seals in the cylinders, best bet is to replace them, you can splice a new piece of brake line onto the old one but need a double flare tool, In the US you can get them pretty cheap at harbor freight, don't know what's available in the UK though.If line is pretty rusty, may be better to replace it to, you will need a tubing bender so you don't kink the new line when bending it to fit.
The guy was talking about getting new cylinders anyway. On an 03 they are probably kind of cooked anyway along with the shoes and the springs.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Have had the bleeder screw threads strip on the back a few times, after that it would never seal properly. Sometimes you can get it out with heat and wax, or heat and water.

That doesnt work, buy some new cylinders, aftermarket ones are pretty cheap, but with my experiance, many of them ended up being garbage. Your call. You can also bleed the lines from the brake hose too if you dont want to risk breaking the screw.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote