Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
jouslee

Drives: White 2007 2 Door hatch Yaris
Sticky When Shifting and Sticky When Reving?

Hey Guys I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. I was a rotorhead in Rx7club.com but unfortunate circumstances made me go toward piston.

The questions are pertainante to owners/drivers of 5 Speed manual 1.5L Yaris.

So my questions for you guys are:

1. When you apply throttle to your yaris (1.5L) does it feel laggy or irresponsive? (e.g. When you press the gas does it take a second to rev?)

2. When you apply throttle does the RPM tend to to fall fast? (e.g. When you drive and the press the clutch, does it feel that the RPM stays at/near the RPM that you released the clutch on? Or Does it feel kind of Sticky?)

3. Does your yaris feel like the syncros are dying? (e.g. When you shift from one gear to another does the shifter sometimes make a stop in the middle of the gear that you are shifting into?)

I have driven my Yaris a little over 1000 U.S Miles and I have felt these symptoms ever since mile 0. Is this normal or should I punch the dealership in the face and use my warranty?

Thanks for reading my Thread!

-Josh
jouslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslee View Post
Hey Guys I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. I was a rotorhead in Rx7club.com but unfortunate circumstances made me go toward piston.

The questions are pertainante to owners/drivers of 5 Speed manual 1.5L Yaris.

So my questions for you guys are:

1. When you apply throttle to your yaris (1.5L) does it feel laggy or irresponsive? (e.g. When you press the gas does it take a second to rev?)

2. When you apply throttle does the RPM tend to to fall fast? (e.g. When you drive and the press the clutch, does it feel that the RPM stays at/near the RPM that you released the clutch on? Or Does it feel kind of Sticky?)

3. Does your yaris feel like the syncros are dying? (e.g. When you shift from one gear to another does the shifter sometimes make a stop in the middle of the gear that you are shifting into?)

I have driven my Yaris a little over 1000 U.S Miles and I have felt these symptoms ever since mile 0. Is this normal or should I punch the dealership in the face and use my warranty?

Thanks for reading my Thread!

-Josh
just recently my yaris tranny has began to break out of its shell. by this i mean it has slowly started to get looser and feels ALOT better especially after it has warmed up. my car has 3500 miles on it. keep racking up those miles. i bet it will feel much better after some time.
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
jouslee

Mmm.. alrighty how about that Stick Rev feeling any one got input on that?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
open the hood and rev and see if you can hear anything
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
joislee... it took some of us a bit of time to get used to the drive by wire, or the "sticky rev thing" you refer to it as... just give it some time, I never drove a drive by wire untill this car and I stalled her all the time at first... just give her time
Old 01-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

There are aftermarket options to aleviate all of these issues.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
jouslee

haha alrighty, thanks for the comical response. I didn't know that the yaris was drive by wire.

To cure the tranny problem I am going to give it some synthetic juice after 4-5k miles, maybe redline (I have had decent results in my Rx-7).

Any suggestions on how to make the rev drop faster and make the gas pedal more responsive? (I really do not like the laggy feeling)

-Thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #8
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
i put redline 75w90 in my tranny at about 700 miles. might have been too soon but oh well. it's definitely not hurting anything.
tekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouslee View Post
Any suggestions on how to make the rev drop faster and make the gas pedal more responsive? (I really do not like the laggy feeling)
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
jouslee

Mmm.. bad link, is so is there any way that this throttle response can be fixed?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
What ChinoCharles is linking to:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3239 (you forgot the www, seems to cause problems)

Anyway yeah, a lightened crank pulley will improve the engine's response, but it won't eliminate the little bit of lag...

Apart from completely changing the throttle system to a traditional cable actuated one, I don't really see any solution... I doubt we can overclock the ECU

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #12
jouslee

wow.. Thats rediculous, maybe it will go away as we keep driving. (LOL I don't know on which logic that came out of) I'm used to it but i just don't like rev matching on a system like this.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
seems to me the throttle sticking is worse going from 4th to 5th isn't as noticeable going 3th to 5th try it tell what you think maybe its the ECU and they want it that way could be a pollution thing also
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Actually, since the throttle is electronically controlled, there's gotta be a way to make some tweaks to the system, like some kind of piggyback throttle computer, which could help do some fancy tricks like automatic rev matching when changing gears, launch control, ultrafast response, stuff like that. As far as I understand the aftermarket cruise control systems do work kinda like that, right?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I had an old Datsun (that's how long ago it was). Between gears, the engine would stay at a higher rpm to allow smoother shifting. This was designed into my old 240Z. Lets say that you shifted at 2400 R's. If you left your foot off the accelerator it would hover at about 2000 R's or less. If you didn't shift just to watch the RPM, it would finally drop after 3 - 4 seconds or so.

I have read several posts along these lines with the Yaris so maybe it is designed into it and there is nothing really wrong.

My Yaris is an A/T so I am just telling a story about my old Z. I have no experience with the manual Yaris.

My throttle does lag just a bit in the A/T but that is all the more fun trying to time the accelerator and the traffic light turning green.
barryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #16
jouslee

Yea, I agree that it may have been by design but it may have been a poor design because it increases my shift time and I, personally, am not a fan of the Lead Foot so I rely on faster shifting to get through daily traffic.

I think there has to be a way to mod the ETCS (Electrontic Throttle Control System) to make it respond like a regular car.

Also on the side note, did anyone notice that Yaris' that came with stock tachometers did not have this problem?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post

Apart from completely changing the throttle system to a traditional cable actuated one, I don't really see any solution... I doubt we can overclock the ECU
You can adjust this actually. All DBW cars I have tuned or have seen tuned can have the "gain" adjusted on the throttlebody. You just need the software to do it.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
i'd *love* to retune my throttle... its way too sensitive now.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote