Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
wiseguy

Drives: 2105 yaris
Converting 2015 L model to LE

I've been searching for a 2015 LE model for awhile and couldn't find anything decent and eventually got a good deal on a L model. So I've done alot of research and it seems like the L model has pretty much all the wires needed for the LE options.

Power side mirrors: notice that the yaris power side mirror switch has a different part number from all other toyota, but the switch look identical. So i sourced a used prius switch and aftermarket mirrors. The switch plugged right in, going to paint the side mirrors before I install them, I'll you know how it goes. Found couple diagram from CTScott on how to remove the old one too.

Cruise Control: Was going to purchase cruise control from CTScott, but purchased a used steering wheel with audio control and cruise control. Just have to find a new airbag first before I install them.

Keyless entry: Can't believe a 2015 car does not have keyless entry standard, plus no immobilizer. So just gonna install alarm and remote start. Again found a pinout sheet from CTScott for 2012-2014 which should work. Probably will install this next month.

Backup camera: I know it not standard in the Le model, but I plan and installing one, just have to figure out if the car is prewired for that, hoping for just a plug and play if I can source an oem one. Anyone know by chance?

I think that the major diffence between the L and Le model, I'll update and I start to get all the parts in. If I'm missiing anything else let me know.

Last edited by wiseguy; 08-11-2016 at 05:10 PM.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I purchased my 2015 Yaris because it DID NOT have things like keyless entry, push-button start, backup camera, lane assist, rain-sensing wipers, automatic collision braking sensors, etc. Lack of those options were a selling point for me. I also could have done without the power windows, power side mirrors, CD player or bluetooth lol.

I do like having regular (non-adaptive) cruise control though (even though I haven't used it but a few time so far), and side-mirror turn-signals would have been nice.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I purchased my 2015 Yaris because it DID NOT have things like keyless entry, push-button start, backup camera, lane assist, rain-sensing wipers, automatic collision braking sensors, etc. Lack of those options were a selling point for me. I also could have done without the power windows, power side mirrors, CD player or bluetooth lol.

I do like having regular (non-adaptive) cruise control though (even though I haven't used it but a few time so far), and side-mirror turn-signals would have been nice.
Just feel weird not having those option as my other cars do. I keep reaching for the steering wheel audio control to realize this car doesnt have it. Plus it gives me something to do, gonna leave the car stock except maybe rear swaybar.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
Just feel weird not having those option as my other cars do. I keep reaching for the steering wheel audio control to realize this car doesnt have it. Plus it gives me something to do, gonna leave the car stock except maybe rear swaybar.
I didn't realize that the L-trim didn't have the steering wheel audio controls. I hardly ever touch my head unit touchscreen/controls, and take those steering wheel mounted controls for granted. Heck, half the time the glare off the touchscreen is so bad here in Phoenix, AZ, that I can't see anything on the screen anyway - and that is with tinted windows.

+1 on the sway bar. I love mine - it greatly improves the feel/stability of the car on cornering, and makes it feel more stable versus strong wind buffeting and such. Should be standard equipment!

On a related note, the one thing I miss the most from my old Accord EX Sedan was drivers-side floor trunk-latch. One year into my Yaris ownership experience and I am still reaching down there to pop my hatch open.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
texascolt45

Drives: 2015 yaris
I kinda like the $5 key I get cause my key doesn't have a chip.
texascolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascolt45 View Post
I kinda like the $5 key I get cause my key doesn't have a chip.
I agree, somehow i lost one key already. Don't know how it happened....
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
I have a basic Yaris nothing electric and I don't miss it. I also purposely searched for one with zero gadgets and this coming from a guy who also has an Audi Avant and Subaru Legacy GT which both have full electric package.

Sometimes less is more.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Concur, the lack of unnecessary electronics was one of the biggest selling points of the Yaris to me; and I am used to it as my other ride is a Jeep!

I've survived almost eight years without power locks and windows, and haven't missed either one bit!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #9
wiseguy

Installed the side mirrors today, only hick up was trying to figure out how to remove the door panel, 2 screws under the windows control. Removed the oem side mirror cover, hoping that they will fit the aftermarket one, but on dice. Overall everything plugged right in and worked out perfectly. Waiting for more parts to come in.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Power mirrors are a must and it's utterly ridiculous that these aren't standard even on the lowest models. I was utterly shocked when I realized the Yaris I bought didn't have them. Didn't check during purchase because it didn't ever occur to me that a car built in 2007 might not have them. Goes even more so for current models.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Power mirrors are a must and it's utterly ridiculous that these aren't standard even on the lowest models. I was utterly shocked when I realized the Yaris I bought didn't have them. Didn't check during purchase because it didn't ever occur to me that a car built in 2007 might not have them. Goes even more so for current models.
I knew mine didn't come with them, but I was equally taken by it. I know it's an econo-box, but I think it's something all cars should have had by that point from just a safety perspective.

Power mirrors and cruise control are the things I miss the most from my previous car. Would have been even worse had I not pushed for aftermarket power windows and door locks.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
wiseguy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I knew mine didn't come with them, but I was equally taken by it. I know it's an econo-box, but I think it's something all cars should have had by that point from just a safety perspective.

Power mirrors and cruise control are the things I miss the most from my previous car. Would have been even worse had I not pushed for aftermarket power windows and door locks.
Totally agree with you both, that why it was the first thing i installed, paint on the cover just dried, so I'll putting them on shortly. Might have to do a bit of wet sanding though.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Tinkerman

Drives: Yaris 5 speed
Where do you buy aftermarket power side mirrors?
Tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerman View Post
ebay, look for "power mirrors yaris", select your year. Should be about $60 for a pair. Then you'll also need a switch, about the same. The car is prewired for power mirrors and the power ones swap right over. Many tutorials here. And I was able to re-use the painted covers on mine and discarded the unpainted black ones that came with the powered ones.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerman View Post
Got mine from rockauto, the 2nd gen run about $60, 3rd gen goes from $90-100 for the pair. You can find them from pretty much most aftermarket suppliers. The switch i bought is from a prius, even though they have different part number, it still worked.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
ern-diz

Quote:
ebay, look for "power mirrors yaris", select your year. Should be about $60 for a pair. Then you'll also need a switch, about the same. The car is prewired for power mirrors and the power ones swap right over. Many tutorials here. And I was able to re-use the painted covers on mine and discarded the unpainted black ones that came with the powered ones.
So, the '07s are wired for power mirrors, even though it wasn't a factory option in the US until '08?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
So, the '07s are wired for power mirrors, even though it wasn't a factory option in the US until '08?
My US market '07 3 door 5sp was. Dunno what else to tell you.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
ern-diz

Quote:
My US market '07 3 door 5sp was. Dunno what else to tell you.
No, that's perfect. If your car was, I have the same model, no reason mine shouldn't be. Thanks.