Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Thumbs up Garmin GPS / XM radio and the Aux Input

Yesterday and today I used my Garmin StreetPilot 2730 GPS with XM Radio in my Yaris for the first time using the Auxiliary jack. Fanastic, the music sounds great and the voice giving directions even sounds good for a computer generated voice. Now I can listen to great music and never get lost or have to ask for directions again.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
atebit

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Where did you place the 2730 on your dash? I have an old Garmin 2610 (same screen/form factor) that I'm using until I get a more permanent solution.

Last weekend I drove home from the dealership for 5 hours (yes, it was one the way for me). I had the 2610 positioned on the relatively flat part of the dash behind the steering wheel. No problems until it got dark, then the windshield was picking up a really bad screen reflection right where I neeed to see! The best I could do was move the 2610 over to the left and as close to the steering wheel as possible, but that only moved the reflection higher up & to the left. At least it was out of my direct field of vision, but it was still annoying.

I even tried making a "visor" for the display out of a business card, but the only position that eliminated the glare also obscured the top lines of the display, due to my viewing angle.

The center-mounted instrument cluster makes it a little tough to place things like this on the dash. I didn't try it sitting on the top of the cluster, because I figured it would obstruct my view. I guess the wole reason for Toyota moving the cluster to the center was becuase they claim that's where you should be looking out the windshiel anyway; placing a GPS on top of the cluster seems to defeat the purpose.
atebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Do you have a windshield suction mount? I put my Garmin Nuvi way up in the top corner, it's out of my line of sight most of the time, only problem is I can't flip down the sun visor all the way... But I guess that's what sunglasses were invented for

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I got some velcro made for automotive dashboards and stuck mine right here:

Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
Do you have a windshield suction mount? I put my Garmin Nu vi way up in the top corner, it's out of my line of sight most of the time, only problem is I can't flip down the sun visor all the way... But I guess that's what sunglasses were invented for :big grin:
No, I use the bean bag mount and sit it right in front of me on the dash. It's low enough so that I can see the bottom of the windshield and it doesn't interfere with my vision and I can reach it to do whatever I need to.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit
Where did you place the 2730 on your dash? I have an old Garmin 2610 (same screen/form factor) that I'm using until I get a more permanent solution.

Last weekend I drove home from the dealership for 5 hours (yes, it was one the way for me). I had the 2610 positioned on the relatively flat part of the dash behind the steering wheel. No problems until it got dark, then the windshield was picking up a really bad screen reflection right where I neeed to see! The best I could do was move the 2610 over to the left and as close to the steering wheel as possible, but that only moved the reflection higher up & to the left. At least it was out of my direct field of vision, but it was still annoying.

I even tried making a "visor" for the display out of a business card, but the only position that eliminated the glare also obscured the top lines of the display, due to my viewing angle.

The center-mounted instrument cluster makes it a little tough to place things like this on the dash. I didn't try it sitting on the top of the cluster, because I figured it would obstruct my view. I guess the wole reason for Toyota moving the cluster to the center was becuase they claim that's where you should be looking out the windshiel anyway; placing a GPS on top of the cluster seems to defeat the purpose.
I don't have any problems with it directly in front of me on the dash, and I don't get any reflections on the windshield.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
ProClip has a nice mount you can use with with your GPS device:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...d=&p_year=2007

It mounts into the vertical storage on the center console thing on the passenger side.

I still haven't figured out what those two vertical storage spaces are for, but this ProClip mount will make good use of that storage space for my TomTom Go 910.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
riceboy

Drives: icebox
You guys worry about having your cars broken into?? I'm hesitant in adding a dvd/navi combo b/c i figure most ppl won't give a second thought to breaking into a yaris..
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
That's one of the reasons I put mine on velcro. I can easily take it with me or hide it from view. Takes a second.

It's really nice having it right in front of me like that. Now I'm glad I have the center speedometer.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
That's one of the reasons I put mine on velcro. I can easily take it with me or hide it from view. Takes a second.

It's really nice having it right in front of me like that. Now I'm glad I have the center speedometer.
Wont the thief see the velcro and assume something expensive goes there. And take A chance that it's in the car.
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
atebit

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Violin, that's a great spot for my Garmin 2610! I tried it on a 7 hour drive yesterday & no glare at all! The Garmins come with an low-profile base with removable adhesive that will work great in that spot.

I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to read it through the steeringwheel spokes, but it really wasn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
I got some velcro made for automotive dashboards and stuck mine right here:

atebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
mount nuvi behind steering wheel

I used the self adhesive mount. I put the mount behind the steering wheel. I can see the screen right above the steering wheel. I installed Garmin's StreetPilot 7200 large format portable navigator with the 7 inch screen in my first Yaris. I like the 7 inch screen. But at a $1,000 it is expensive. I put a Garmin nuvi 255WT with the 4.2 inch screen in my second Yaris. The screen is a little small and hard to read the smaller parts of the display. At $230 it is a lot more affordable. The nuvi comes with a rechargeable battery, so I can use it to get back to my car if needed. To prevent someone from stealing the unit, I use a truck sun reflector. Darkens the vehicle and the overhang makes looking inside the Yaris even harder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota Yaris 011c.jpg (25.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Toyota Yaris 015a.jpg (22.7 KB, 63 views)
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote