Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Front control arm bolt spinning

I just can't catch a break. :( I'm trying to remove the control arm. Already pulled out the bolt that normally rusts away (was easy as I've already replaced it recently). The bolt that faces the front of the car, though... I got it to turn a couple of spins properly with my electric impact gun. Now it's loose but just spins and doesn't back out any further. It's out perhaps 1/4".

Is there a trick to this I don't know of? Did the captive nut (I assume it's captive, I can't find it!) on the other side decide to come loose? If so... am I looking at a choice of either trying to cut a small hole in the subframe to get at it or replacing the whole subframe?

I still want to replace the control arm on the other side... Is there something I should be doing not to wreck that up as well? My impact wrench isn't all that beefy. Maximum 350 ft. lbs. I've put more weight to break bolts free with my breaker bar!

Every damn job always ends up like this, though usually I can figure out the best way to fix it myself. :( Next time I buy a car I need to remind myself that the cheapest one on kijiji is also the one I get to deal with this shit on. Ugggghhh...
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote