Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
majorposer

Drives: purchasing
Brake upgrades

I can't seem to find a upgrade for the rear drums. i like the performance from the drums so far, but at a track it will need a different compound for more heat. so now aftermarket is one problem, and another problem is they are a pain to service, disc's are so much easier. anyone know of a kit?
majorposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Get a JDM rear torsion beam with disks on it. That is about it currently.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Get a JDM rear torsion beam with disks on it. That is about it currently.
That's what I was thinking. For mostly daily driving, though, there are other ways to drastically improve braking without dumping $1000 into a new rear end.

For instance:
-upgraded pads for the front brakes
-stainless steel brake lines (the best upgrade, IMO)
-higher temperature brake fluid (I've had great results from Motul)
-upgraded master cylinder (back to that money thing, though)

Remember, you may actually lose braking power (and thus, take longer to stop) by switching to rear disc brakes- vehicles like ours do not have EBD, and the "old style" proportioning valves are set up for drums- you can get around this by swapping out the master cylinder and lines, as well- but, oh the $$$ you'll be spending! Drums are lighter, too, so there's less unsprung weight.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com

Last edited by Moose; 03-24-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I am currently working on a rear disc conversion, it will use parts you can get off the shelf from your local parts store, Well will a few adapter brackets I am going to make
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I am currently working on a rear disc conversion, it will use parts you can get off the shelf from your local parts store, Well will a few adapter brackets I am going to make
Really? Please post it up when you're done!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Oh I will, I will, and I plan on sellin the shit out of them!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
That's what I was thinking. For mostly daily driving, though, there are other ways to drastically improve braking without dumping $1000 into a new rear end.

For instance:
-upgraded pads for the front brakes
-stainless steel brake lines (the best upgrade, IMO)
-higher temperature brake fluid (I've had great results from Motul)
-upgraded master cylinder (back to that money thing, though)

Remember, you may actually lose braking power (and thus, take longer to stop) by switching to rear disc brakes- vehicles like ours do not have EBD, and the "old style" proportioning valves are set up for drums- you can get around this by swapping out the master cylinder and lines, as well- but, oh the $$$ you'll be spending! Drums are lighter, too, so there's less unsprung weight.
Agreed, except you forgot the most important braking mod. Better tires :)

I would do tires, then SS lines and fluid, and after that better pads if you need them.

The problem is there are no SS lines available yet. I will get them the day they come to market though.

The proportioning may be different with the rear disk setup (no idea if it is or not), so it may require the master cylinder to be swapped out as well to make it "correct". since the vas majority are non ABS it may be less critical, but still should not be overlooked.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Agreed, except you forgot the most important braking mod. Better tires :)

I would do tires, then SS lines and fluid, and after that better pads if you need them.

The problem is there are no SS lines available yet. I will get them the day they come to market though.

The proportioning may be different with the rear disk setup (no idea if it is or not), so it may require the master cylinder to be swapped out as well to make it "correct". since the vas majority are non ABS it may be less critical, but still should not be overlooked.
Um, why change the master cylinder? there are these new things they have been using since god knows why called proportioning valves. All we would have to do is change that to get the proportioning, I am sure that would be a lot cheeper to get ahold of than a whole set up off a JDM Vitz
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Getting the rear torsion beam from a JDM Vits is like saying "hey, lets swap an LT1 into the Yaris." Its never going to happen, so forget about it.

Shouldn't SS brake lines be a relatively easy part to make yourself? Braided line and some fittings at either end? Am I oversimplifying this?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Um, why change the master cylinder? there are these new things they have been using since god knows why called proportioning valves. All we would have to do is change that to get the proportioning, I am sure that would be a lot cheeper to get ahold of than a whole set up off a JDM Vitz
Read Moose's post at the top of the thread. He is right.

I'm not sure if the rear disc cars use a different master cylinder. If they do there is probably a reason why. Running out of fluid to actuate your brakes is not something you want to do.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Am I oversimplifying this?
Yes. An SS brakeline is not just the SS part. The braided SS is just a coating to keep the actual line inside protected and reinforced. Your life depends on the integrity of these lines. They aren't something you can buy in bulk, cut to length and add proper ends to.

Ashley
Old 03-25-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

THERE IS NO REASON TO CHANGE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER!!!! NONE! just for shits and gigles go to Napa, or autozone or what ever and ask for a price on a master cyinder on a.... lets say 00 grand am, it comes with either disc or drum in the rear and see if they even ask you, if they do, ask them to check if it is the same part #, and I will bet MY CAR it is the same part #.... and this i not the only case, I could continue on with about 99% of the rest of the vehicles on the road of you would like...

Do you think this is my first rear disc conversion?
I swapped my 93 s-10, I did change my proportion valve, but later found out I did not need to.

Back to the point, I am not going to be using 6 piston calipers for the rear brakes so it is not going to be using an un godly amount of fluid, and even it I was I would use a larger resivoir to hold more fluid to solve the problem, not get a new master cylinder

BTW I can read, "Read Moose's post at the top of the thread. He is right.
"
And I disagree, but we will see when I have the first Yaris in North America with rear disc brakes
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #13
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
THERE IS NO REASON TO CHANGE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER!!!! NONE! just for shits and gigles go to Napa, or autozone or what ever and ask for a price on a master cyinder on a.... lets say 00 grand am, it comes with either disc or drum in the rear and see if they even ask you, if they do, ask them to check if it is the same part #, and I will bet MY CAR it is the same part #.... and this i not the only case, I could continue on with about 99% of the rest of the vehicles on the road of you would like...

Do you think this is my first rear disc conversion?
I swapped my 93 s-10, I did change my proportion valve, but later found out I did not need to.

Back to the point, I am not going to be using 6 piston calipers for the rear brakes so it is not going to be using an un godly amount of fluid, and even it I was I would use a larger resivoir to hold more fluid to solve the problem, not get a new master cylinder

BTW I can read, "Read Moose's post at the top of the thread. He is right.
"
And I disagree, but we will see when I have the first Yaris in North America with rear disc brakes

Relax. I never said you needed to change it. I said to check and see if it uses a different one. Odds are is does not but stranger things have happened. It could change pedal feel, response etc if each car had a different one. A larger reservior would not solve that problem.

Odds are it will be fine as is, but these are things to be aware of if it does not work right.

Do the canadian RS cars have rear disks?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:

Do the canadian RS cars have rear disks?
That is a good question, and that would be an easy solution as well if it were true, good call
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
the rs here in canada dont have the rear disks
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #16
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
the rs here in canada dont have the rear disks

Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
I was thinking of asking my gf's brother in Japan to send me the rear disc system from the RS. I think there are companies that are currently working on a Big brake system for the rear as well for the Yaris. They've done it for the Xb's and Xa's Why not our cars? I'm actually thinking of getting the mini BBK from JBT for now. I want that stopping power for those auto x's
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
I was thinking of asking my gf's brother in Japan to send me the rear disc system from the RS. I think there are companies that are currently working on a Big brake system for the rear as well for the Yaris. They've done it for the Xb's and Xa's Why not our cars? I'm actually thinking of getting the mini BBK from JBT for now. I want that stopping power for those auto x's
I am working on addapting VW Jetta brakes to our car, there are tones of stuf stuff out there for those, I just want to mock up the standard parts first then get the good stuff