Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
dash1979

Drives: YARIS 07
Droning noise/Harmonic sound

Hi,

I've got a 2007 yaris, 255,000KMs.
Just replaced Front Wheel Bearings & Rear Wheel Hubs/Bearings.
New Front Rotors and Pads over the last few months.

I've got a 45min comute to work. After driving 30-40mins the car starts to drone. could it be a tire heating up or a bad belt? Tread pattern wear? There's no vibrations. Tire PSI's all equal.

Car drives fine, steering wheel is smooth. Rear brakes are adjusted and wheels spin freely and parking brake works properly.
Front calipers are not seized. Even after my drive home all rims are cold, drums are cold, front rotors warm but not too hot.

I think my water pump is gone because my rad fan kicks in every month and i fill up the rad(half jug of coolant) and the fan goes away. I've tried filling the reservoir and it just stays empty or sucks the coolant out.

The noise comes in and out at all speeds. faster 110KMs and up. And stays audiable after 30mins of driving.

Driving down a steep hill i put car in neutral, the droning sound is still there.
sound is there with clutch in or out.
Then I'll hit the brakes in neutral and it slightly goes away.

It's always strange that it takes time for it to start which has me stumped.

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys/gals, jp
dash1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
usually would point to a bad wheel bearing...since you changed all of those and I'm assuming checked that they were good before you installed them then I'm not quite sure. Someone else will chime in I'm sure with an idea.

In regards to your coolant...ya you're going to want to deal with that asap and before you worry about a droning noise. If your coolant reservoir is constantly going empty then you have a pretty severe leak somewhere. It will leave a trail of white/pink crust (assuming you're using toyota coolant) where it's leaking so get under the car and nail down where your coolant is going.

If you have a pinkish streak running back to front under your hood just above where the water pump is then yeah you're pump is bad. Get a lifetime warranty one from parts source, not the cheapest but worth it if you change it yourself.

I wouldn't be driving the car around too much with a constantly emptying overflow reservoir

EDIT* make sure the droning isn't happening on newly paved roads only during your trip. This commonly happens until pavement is worn down a bit
Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Ever since the inception of this forum, the issue of harmonic sound has come up. It is the nature of this car to produce this sound once reaching highway speeds.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Sollexe
Canadian

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
I have the same noise at 40 km/h and above. Doesn't change when I put in neutral as well. I have an automatic transmission could it be that? It shifts fine, but prior to me buying the car I noticed they had a transmission flush. So I'm thinking a mechanic told them it was probably the transmission on the way out and they sold it promptly. I'll record my sound to compare to yours dash.
Sollexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Sollexe
Canadian

I have the same noise at 40 km/h and above. Doesn't change when I put in neutral as well. I have an automatic transmission could it be that? It shifts fine, but prior to me buying the car I noticed they had a transmission flush. So I'm thinking a mechanic told them it was probably the transmission on the way out and they sold it promptly. I'll record my sound to compare to yours dash. It almost sounds like an RV car. Doesn't change with rpm just speed. And isn't low enough pitch to be a wheel bearing, plus it sounds like it's coming from the centre of the engine not the wheels. But who knows...
Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
dash1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
usually would point to a bad wheel bearing...since you changed all of those and I'm assuming checked that they were good before you installed them then I'm not quite sure. Someone else will chime in I'm sure with an idea.

In regards to your coolant...ya you're going to want to deal with that asap and before you worry about a droning noise. If your coolant reservoir is constantly going empty then you have a pretty severe leak somewhere. It will leave a trail of white/pink crust (assuming you're using toyota coolant) where it's leaking so get under the car and nail down where your coolant is going.

If you have a pinkish streak running back to front under your hood just above where the water pump is then yeah you're pump is bad. Get a lifetime warranty one from parts source, not the cheapest but worth it if you change it yourself.

I wouldn't be driving the car around too much with a constantly emptying overflow reservoir

EDIT* make sure the droning isn't happening on newly paved roads only during your trip. This commonly happens until pavement is worn down a bit
thanks for the replys everyone.

No it's not the pavement, probably a bad(new) bearing. They felt fine when I inspected them over and I guess a new water pump is in order. I'll report back once I do so further troubleshooting/inspections.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
does this only happen in A/T, I have a 5spd and don't notice this? I'd think it's wheel related but if its coming from the middle then sounds like the tranny. Although those last forever so just use earplugs and be happy that you won't need a new tranny for the life of the car :)
Old 10-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
dash1979

Putting the winter tires on shortly which will rule out the tires as a issue.....
Old 10-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
dash1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
does this only happen in A/T, I have a 5spd and don't notice this? I'd think it's wheel related but if its coming from the middle then sounds like the tranny. Although those last forever so just use earplugs and be happy that you won't need a new tranny for the life of the car :)
lol I have a 5spd too.

exactly. I agree the water pump is a must but the droning noise I'll have to life with. After the headache of 4 wheel bearings, high mileage and only 3 car payment left I'll drive her into the ground. But she is a toyota and as this is my first toyota I'm pretty sure I'll be buying them for life. Excellent vehicles.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
Sollexe
Canadian

Watch "Yaris noise" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/30j9E3-gCDk

Here we go starts around 40 kmh
Old 10-29-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
dash1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollexe View Post
Watch "Yaris noise" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/30j9E3-gCDk

Here we go starts around 40 kmh
It's hard to tell but my problem doesn't seem to be as a high a tone as yours.
your's is "whining" my is a "Drone-ing" if that makes any sense.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
dash1979

I replaced the Alternator Last winter with a NEW Ac Delco.

In reading more and more posts of "humming" " and nosie's in general and my already existing coolant problem, I'd say the water pump is the problem. Once she heats up and then starts to "wah wah wha" noise.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Only droning noise in my car seems to come from the direction of the passenger seat. Can be drowned out by adjusting the big rotary knob on the top left of the center stack clockwise.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
dash1979

you got'er
crank up the tunes!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
dash1979

Anyone know the link to the best DIY Water Pump With pics? I can't seem to find one on here. I have the service manual but would like another version for cross reference :)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Here ya go

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=waterpump+rnr
Old 10-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
dash1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Deadly. thank you very much. just what i wanted. cheers