Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
R2564952

Drives: 07 silver 5spd
2zR swap worth it?

I see guys doing the swap, my goal is to keep up with traffic in an on-ramp without pushing the car so hard and to overtake easier. Can someone who’s driven or completed the swap elaborate on the difference in these situations? Have you raced a 1.5 Yaris to see difference?

Also Ive negotiated a 43k engine with complete exhaust, accessories, MAF and mounts for $600 from a 2011 XD? It’s auto and my 07 Yaris hatch is manual so I didn’t ask for the harness or ecm. Is there something else I should ask for from that car? Airbox is broken :(
R2564952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2564952 View Post
I see guys doing the swap, my goal is to keep up with traffic in an on-ramp without pushing the car so hard and to overtake easier. Can someone who’s driven or completed the swap elaborate on the difference in these situations? Have you raced a 1.5 Yaris to see difference?

Also Ive negotiated a 43k engine with complete exhaust, accessories, MAF and mounts for $600 from a 2011 XD? It’s auto and my 07 Yaris hatch is manual so I didn’t ask for the harness or ecm. Is there something else I should ask for from that car? Airbox is broken :(
harness and the ECM. how will you run the vehicle, cant use the stock ecm. also cant use the manual Ecm, you need the XD cv axels, brakes, hubs, line hookups....rims....alot of things you should use the search function theres two threads three threads on this topic.

edit: a 2011 xd is like 28 more HP, you will be able to merge.... quicker. -15% drivetrain loss.

DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Read any of the other swap threads on here, they’re full of the info

ANY 2zr can be used with the Yaris transmissions, and the acceleration increase is quite noticeable.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
DarkShadowFox
Banned

heres what to do.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/search....archid=2228968
Old 12-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:

$600 with ancillaries sounds like a pretty good deal honestly - not sure what the going rate is South of the border, but I paid over double that in CDN$ to get my 2ZR-FAE with starter, alternator, etc.. mine did come with wiring harness attached and mostly complete, and fortunately was a MT harness going in a MT Yaris. On top of that I then had to buy the RH side mounts new.. Never hurts to have the wiring in order have spare wire with terminals to use for needed modifications. The ECM being for an AT won't help you though, no - you'll need to find an ECM from a MT Scion xD.

I find the difference is most noticeable in how the 2ZR delivers power. The 1NZ was decently peppy, but at higher revs, so anytime I wanted to merge or pass I felt like I was flogging on it; usually did so just fine, but it wasn't at all the giddy-up like my FJ Cruiser or our Honda Odyssey has: foot down, revs up, off you go.. With the 2ZR swapped in there is a noticeable constant pull feeling, so merging quickly or passing has a more solid feel to it. Overall I notice it is more zippy too - it's by no means OMG-pushed-into-my-seat-racecar fast, but it's fun, pulls hard through the rev range, and provides a solid feeling to confidently get into traffic or pass. A couple of the guys on here autocross and track their Yaris' and can probably give you a better comparison. As ArmstrongRacing mentioned, there are a number of swaps documented in the Performance Modifications section - take the time to have a read through and you'll find the bumps-along-the-road we've experienced.

Haven't tried a pull against a stock Yaris. Would be interested to see how different it really is... Haven't come across another Yaris owner locally who I get the impression would really want to put the hammer down and run their stock 1NZ up to the limit to find out..

If you decide to pull the trigger on the 2ZR and get into a swap definitely start a build thread!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
$600 with ancillaries sounds like a pretty good deal honestly - not sure what the going rate is South of the border, but I paid over double that in CDN$ to get my 2ZR-FAE with starter, alternator, etc.. mine did come with wiring harness attached and mostly complete, and fortunately was a MT harness going in a MT Yaris. On top of that I then had to buy the RH side mounts new.. Never hurts to have the wiring in order have spare wire with terminals to use for needed modifications. The ECM being for an AT won't help you though, no - you'll need to find an ECM from a MT Scion xD.

I find the difference is most noticeable in how the 2ZR delivers power. The 1NZ was decently peppy, but at higher revs, so anytime I wanted to merge or pass I felt like I was flogging on it; usually did so just fine, but it wasn't at all the giddy-up like my FJ Cruiser or our Honda Odyssey has: foot down, revs up, off you go.. With the 2ZR swapped in there is a noticeable constant pull feeling, so merging quickly or passing has a more solid feel to it. Overall I notice it is more zippy too - it's by no means OMG-pushed-into-my-seat-racecar fast, but it's fun, pulls hard through the rev range, and provides a solid feeling to confidently get into traffic or pass. A couple of the guys on here autocross and track their Yaris' and can probably give you a better comparison. As ArmstrongRacing mentioned, there are a number of swaps documented in the Performance Modifications section - take the time to have a read through and you'll find the bumps-along-the-road we've experienced.

Haven't tried a pull against a stock Yaris. Would be interested to see how different it really is... Haven't come across another Yaris owner locally who I get the impression would really want to put the hammer down and run their stock 1NZ up to the limit to find out..

If you decide to pull the trigger on the 2ZR and get into a swap definitely start a build thread!

-- Adam
i flog my yaris all the time , lets go mate, got a high pressure rad cap.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
$600.00 is an amazing deal if the stuff is in good shape. I paid $700.00 alone for my engine, also from the USA. It has almost exactly the same mileage as the one you are looking at. I was close to $3000.00 Canadian by the time I was done. Hell, I'm not even done yet; still working on A/C.

I've only driven mine a handful of times, but, like Adam and Tom say, there's definitely a difference, especially through the rpm range. If you can get similar good pricing on the other parts, I'd be all over that. Do it! Haha.

Next summer, I might do a head-to-head against my stock '08. Just need to find a driver I can trust - certainly not any of the local hillbillies.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:

price and mileage is good if the engine checks out but you'll have to figure out the harness and ecu due to it being the wrong trans. Hell, for that price just pick up a harness and ecu off ebay and if you can't find the harness then just pay for an oem one. You would still come out way on top.

My question for you would be this: do you redline your engine on on ramps to get up to speed currently? if the answer is no then start doing that. If you still find the engine is too slow then go for the swap. Unless the swap is more for your own knowledge and fun of wrenching. The 1nz has more than enough power in the m/t if the driver has the balls to actually redline it. Problem is most people are used to big v8's and the torque they have at 2500rpm. They get scared to make a 4 banger scream to get into the power band.

If you want an engine that you "don't have to push then engine hard" then your need to look at a v8 and in that case a whole new car. The 2zr is not your answer, it likes to scream up to redline like any 4 banger and it rewards you more so than the 1nz. The power jump isn't huge at approx 25-30 whp but it is very noticeable as it pulls much harder. The main difference is the improved powerband due to the dual vvti and the fact that the 2zr is more than a decade newer and has better tech.

I am very happy I did the swap, but it was much more than a power jump for me. I wanted the experience and challenge of swapping an engine in my driveway and making it e test legal. Prices of swaps vary greatly but for many around this part of the world, it makes more sense to sell the car and get a different car altogether with more after market support.

That said, I love having a sleeper swapped Yaris, something about it that makes me smile every time I drive it
Old 12-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
R2564952

Drives: 07 silver 5spd
Thank you all for the replies, I will definitely be pulling the trigger, I’m picking it up this Thursday. I’m not expecting it to be fast, I want a noticeable power difference and based on replies it is definitely noticeable. I like small cars. I have a LS3 1999 miata 485 rwhp and a 1988 Toyota Pickup 310 rwhp with a sbf 302 on trickflow heads and cam. The Yaris is my everyday car so I can’t have too much down time, I’m hoping for 135 rwhp when it’s all done, It just feels really slow at the moment . I will definitely do a build thread.
R2564952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
, you need the XD cv axels, brakes, hubs, line hookups.2 Tail light gaskets 15....:
The hubs are NOT required when keeping the xd transmission and axles. The xd axles are larger on the trans side yes but they slide right into the 4 lug Yaris hubs. This also applies for the rear hubs. Xd, Yaris and Yaris SE disk brake axles all share the same size hubs.only difference is the lug count.
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
The hubs are NOT required when keeping the xd transmission and axles. The xd axles are larger on the trans side yes but they slide right into the 4 lug Yaris hubs. This also applies for the rear hubs. Xd, Yaris and Yaris SE disk brake axles all share the same size hubs.only difference is the lug count.
why wouldnt you swap to 5x100 more wheel options 4x100 is garbage when it comes to wheels. the difference in strength is minimal and you get bigger brakes and you can even add corolla brakes if you want which are massive and powerful.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
why wouldnt you swap to 5x100 more wheel options 4x100 is garbage when it comes to wheels. the difference in strength is minimal and you get bigger brakes and you can even add corolla brakes if you want which are massive and powerful.
There is a ton of great aftermarket wheels offered in 4x100 unless you want to go to an all show and no go 17" + wheel.

Corolla brakes are not needed unless you want the bling factor which it hardly benefits. It upsets the brake bias unless you are going to the trouble of dealing with an aftermarket brake cylinder and/or proportioning vakve and brake booster. All that is needed is proper brake pads to deal with the temp range you operate in. This will give you more brake than you ever need and much more than a corolla brake.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
5x100 has to be the worst wheel option bolt pattern out there. I'm with Trev.......4x100 is the deal. Get yourself a set of 15x7 rpf1's and consider that part of the car done.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Yeah not enough 5x100 options in 15 or 16" wheels. 4x100 is actually perfect, and it helps that the MX5 is also 4x100, which opens up dozens of options. Upgrading the front hubs would also require you to address the rears as well. Literally nothing to gain.

BTW, factory MX5 wheels look really good on the Yaris ;)

stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #15
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

One good reason to stay 4x100 is the stealth factor. I plan on boosting my swap. To me a 5 bolt hub is a dead giveaway something's up.

Another reason to stay 4 bolt (for me anyway) is the fact I didn't want a 5 bolt front and a 4 bolt rear. The Yaris se rear axle with disk brakes I scored at the upull 2 weeks ago for $50 only comes in the 4 bolt flavour. 5 on the front and 4 in the rear makes carrying a spare tire like a trip to Vegas.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:

I agree with the comments about not being afraid to get up into high rpms--the 1NZ really wakes up at 4k and will pull up to about 5500. The 2ZR with a high flow exhaust setup will pull hard all the way to redline at 6500. On ramps are a non-issue for me, even if traffic is doing 75-80 mph. =)

Definitely spend some time going through the existing build threads. You're fine to use the Yaris gearbox with the 2ZR. That's what most of us have done initially and it allows you to keep the stock axles. You'll need to source an xD ECU, engine harness and all of the xD engine/trans mounts (both the vehicle and engine sides!) for whichever type (auto/manual) you choose. You can use an AT harness on an MT swap, but not the other way around.

I wouldn't worry about going with the xD trans/axles/hubs unless you're planning on making over 300 bhp. Garm did a build on his 1NZ that dyno'd over 350 bhp on stock axles and 4x100 wheels with no reports of things being broken. In theory you could get the rear beam axle from an xD to get 5x100 in the rear, but I don't know if anyone has attempted that.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #17
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
. In theory you could get the rear beam axle from an xD to get 5x100 in the rear, but I don't know if anyone has attempted that.
You don't need to swap the whole axle, just the hubs/bearings and I would imagine the xd drum setup. Unless you redrill the yaris drum to 5 bolt.

During my swap I spent a bit of time comparing hubs/bearings. Seems to me everything fits everywhere. Xd to Yaris, Yaris to Yaris se, Yaris se to xd... It all bolts up. You just have to match your brakes to your lug setup.

If you're going 5 lug on the front, you'll need xd rotors/calipers or redrill the 4 lug rotors.

4 lug on the front, stock Yaris brakes or Yaris se big brakes

5 lug on the rear, xd drums or redrill Yaris drums to
4x100.

However I have not yet checked ebrake cable compatibility between Yaris drums and xd drums. I would imagine the brake line is compatible.

As for the se rear disks, we know there is different lines and ebrake cables for the calipers

I chose to stay 4 bolt on the front so it matches my rear disk brake axle. As far as I know, I can't convert the rear disk brakes to a 5 lug setup using off the shelf parts.

Last edited by myfirstyota; 12-27-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #18
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
the whole xd rear drum assembly including the 5lug hub should fit. yaris and xd share the same axle beam. the xd drum is larger than the yaris.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote