Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Fog light on RS

Hi, I noticed that you cannot have the fog light on unless you have your headlight in low beam (not DRL). Does anyone know a way to get around it without too much work?

I know you can re-route the wiring and stuff, but that seems to be a lot of work to me. Or it is a simple job?
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
Hi, I noticed that you cannot have the fog light on unless you have your headlight in low beam (not DRL). Does anyone know a way to get around it without too much work?

I know you can re-route the wiring and stuff, but that seems to be a lot of work to me. Or it is a simple job?
sorry, not constructive for your question...
but isn't it safer to have low headlight bean in fog...?
last time i drove in fog, i found high bean will hit the fog and reflect back more...
so, all you see is white everywhere...
low beam seem to see better...
and fog lights shouldn't have problem because they sit very low...
well, unless you like the blink blink effect...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
sorry, not constructive for your question...
but isn't it safer to have low headlight bean in fog...?
last time i drove in fog, i found high bean will hit the fog and reflect back more...
so, all you see is white everywhere...
low beam seem to see better...
and fog lights shouldn't have problem because they sit very low...
well, unless you like the blink blink effect...
What I'm trying to ask is, can I have the fog light on without having the low beam turn on or when I'm just on DRL. Is there a easy way to fix it, like just switching a wire or so.

Speaking of DRL and low beam, I don't found there is a big difference between the two, the area covered are almost the same, beside low beam might just be brighter.

And I did know driving with high beam in fog and snow is a bad idea, as I have tried that in a big snow storm, all I can see are snow flakes!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

So anyone got a way to get around having the fog light on with low beam?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
You'd probably find it's a wire switching thing and also a "local" North American specifications as the European and Japanese standard for lighting does not require low beam to be on with the fog lights. High beam though should turn off fog lights (ECE regulation) but whether or not this actually happens differs from country to country specifications.

Btw, it's not any unsafer to drive with fogs only in thick fog. Low beam just makes things worse for the driver in fog as there is too much light reflected back from the near-side cut off which is higher than the off-side.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
You'd probably find it's a wire switching thing and also a "local" North American specifications as the European and Japanese standard for lighting does not require low beam to be on with the fog lights. High beam though should turn off fog lights (ECE regulation) but whether or not this actually happens differs from country to country specifications.

Btw, it's not any unsafer to drive with fogs only in thick fog. Low beam just makes things worse for the driver in fog as there is too much light reflected back from the near-side cut off which is higher than the off-side.
yeah, that's why I'm asking if there is a way to get around having fog light on only when low beam is on...