Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Brakes squeal.

Just installed new pads on the front, and they squeal like pads that are down to metal, but they are brand new, albeit cheap, pads. They work just fine, and stop me better than the OEM's, but they just squeel, I dont get it.

Would the quality of the pad cause it? I just got the cheapest pads that NAPA carried.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Did you use brake shims?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
shims? toyota nows carries a quality pad and shim kit for a DIY price. not for nothing but what do you expect for using "the cheapest pads that NAPA carried".....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
AlexNet0

Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
ok, so guess I should have rephrased this... Will using cheap pads make the brakes squeal?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
u got metalic pads...you'll always have squealing problems. they're metal on metal

if you really want to eliminate the squeal, get an organic pad like EBC green stuff. or a carbon-kevlar pad like HAWK.

and they're low dust.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
AlexNet0

EBC doesn't make OEM-spec replacements for the yaris.

do you have a link to some non-metallic pads for the yaris?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
u got metalic pads...you'll always have squealing problems. they're metal on metal
CarboTech's are ceramic, they kick ass for street use.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™

Quote:
The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
AlexNet0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
not if they are bedded properly. CarboTech 1521's aren't noisy, and they kick ass.
I guess thats what I get for buying cheap pads, you dont happen to have any of those do you? lol Or any pads that you know wont squeal? the only reason I didnt buy them from you in the first place was the shipping on them from your site.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I just installed the Carbotech x6 pads two weeks ago--unbelievable difference to stock! much more linear braking force, lotsa bite once heated. Very happy with them.

But they do make a little more noise than stock, even after bedding, even reusing stock shims. A friend I helped installed Green Stuff pads when we did mine says his squeal too, and his instructions said they might do it for 1500 miles!

Anyway, an autocross buddy told me when he had carbotechs on his bmw he went back and added more and heavier grease between shim and pad--that the squeal came from them rubbing--and it helped...

I dont know if yours squeal for the same reason, but its something cheap + simple you could try
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
Just installed new pads on the front, and they squeal like pads that are down to metal, but they are brand new, albeit cheap, pads. They work just fine, and stop me better than the OEM's, but they just squeel, I dont get it.

Would the quality of the pad cause it? I just got the cheapest pads that NAPA carried.
Tru-Stop? And the application that you installed was probably organic, not semi-met.

Cheap, but still shouldn't be noisy. I've never had any problems with Napa's Tru-Stop, Safety-Stop, AE, Adaptive One , Altrom...did you clean calipers, inc piston? Mounting bracket and hardware? Cleaning the hardware and applying (sm amount) of silicone brake lube between hardware and bracket will prevent rust buildup. Too little grease is better than too much when working around friction materials. Really don't need to lube hardware where it meets pad if you polished it good. Wipe down caliper and apply silicone lube to piston and caliper where it meets outboard pad. Noise is usually from dirt and rust buildup. And don't forget any bushings or pins that might need lubing also.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Just curious if you used any Brake-kleen or any other brand of brake pad cleaner spray? Usually helps cut down any noise for while the pads are breaking in. Just trying to offer some ideas is all :)
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
AlexNet0

No I didnt use anything, I just swapped pads and stock shims